Winter clothing

Up here in the Great White North 40F is regarded as balmy in winter.

Winter cycling is best approached clothed similarly to cross-country skiing, but wind chill is even more of a factor and, as others have noted, overheating is to be avoided at all costs.

Agree that layering is the way to go, beginning with a base layer of polyester or wool.

I just put on my long johns under my typical ride get up and get moving. The movment warms me up.

For the face and neck in temps down to freezing, I use a lightweight balaclava hood of stretchy lycra/poly. It goes on right under the helmet. Can be pulled up to cover the nose and mouth to start, then pull down under the chin when you warm up. Performance and Nashbar sell them.

jhuskey said:
Road shoe ae built so they are vented on top so they need to be covered with shoe covers otherwise your feet can get really cold.
They will freezze up snap right off at the ankle. There is something very sad about looking down and seeing your shoes free-wheeling around the crank.
Seriously get some covers along with the other items mentioned.
I also use under armor with a built in wind breaker in the torso area.

Another trick I use in addition to toe covers or shoe covers is to place a plastic baggie under the shoe insoles. This helps block the cold air coming in via the sole vents and cleats where the shoe/toe cover won't cover.

In central Virginia, we never know what to expect in the fall and winter. One day it may be 45F and 1 or 2 days later, it can be 20 to 30 degrees higher. And for most of the winter, the colder it gets, the more the wind seems to blow. 3 weeks ago I needed 2 layers, a jacket, warm gloves and tights. The following weekend, I was back in shorts and short sleeves. From low 40s to low 50s I'll wear tights over shorts, a good wicking base layer, a mid weight long sleeve jersey and a shell to keep the wind out. At warmer temps, I'll opt for a light weight jersey. In the 60s I'll skip the base layer. When the temp falls to 40 I'll wear one more layer, a Head Sweats cap and either liner gloves or more likely a full fingered wind proof glove. A little colder and I use a balaclava instead of the cap and sometimes I'll use a helmet cover to block the wind. Keeping the feet warm is my problem. I think it's best to use 2 thin socks rather than 1 thick pair. I know a lot of people ride in much colder weather, but, for me, the closer it gets to freezing, the less inclined I am to ride.

gman0482 said:
Hey everyone,
Winter season is coming fast, and New England winters can be brutal. Already it is getting into the high 50's here, and on a sunny day, it can be tricky. I am wondering, what some of you wear in the colder days, and what is too much or not enough (as far as layers). I don't want to freeze, but aslo don't want to sweat, and then freeze.

Thanks,
-Greg

By far, the very best piece of winter gear I have is a neck gaitor.

Here's one.

Thermal Underwear Neck Gator, LOWEST PRICES on Thermal Neck Gators

Bunch from REI

neck gaitor at REI.com