Winter Clothing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mary, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Mary

    Mary Guest

    I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the winter. I
    have been looking in the catalogs (Nashbar, Performance) for
    some more colorful "tights", but they all seem to be black.
    I know Henry Ford did not invent bicycle clothing, but does
    anyone know of anyplace that sells more colorful "tights." I
    have thought about buying some white long underwear and
    dying them yellow or green, but when I suggest it my wife
    hands me the single's column in the paper.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    mary wrote:
    > I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the
    > winter. I have been looking in the catalogs (Nashbar,
    > Performance) for some more colorful "tights", but they
    > all seem to be black. I know Henry Ford did not invent
    > bicycle clothing, but does anyone know of anyplace that
    > sells more colorful "tights." I have thought about buying
    > some white long underwear and dying them yellow or green,
    > but when I suggest it my wife hands me the single's
    > column in the paper.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    Well, Mary/Tom, gender confusion issues must indeed be
    confounding :)

    Bill "Peter Pan wore green tights, IIRC" S.

  3. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    mary <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the
    > winter. I have been looking in the catalogs (Nashbar,
    > Performance) for some more colorful "tights", but they
    > all seem to be black. I know Henry Ford did not invent
    > bicycle clothing, but does anyone know of anyplace that
    > sells more colorful "tights." I have thought about buying
    > some white long underwear and dying them yellow or green,
    > but when I suggest it my wife hands me the single's
    > column in the paper.

    Non-black clothing for winter riding... Possibly slushy,
    wet, nasty gritty riding? Riding where my tights end up with
    lots of nasty black grit on them? In bright
    green/yellow/blue?

    No.

    . . .

    But if you must, try probikekit - they seem to have at least
    some blue ones. Maybe go looking in their site for others.

    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=All%20%20Winter%2-
    0Bib%20Tights
    %20%28Team%20%26%20Plain%29&PHPSESSID=107652259be672aa8d158-
    %584f641327c

    http://tinyurl.com/yplv4

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    We may not like doctors, but at least they doctor. Bankers

  4. On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:53:18 -0500, "mary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the
    winter. I have been <looking in the catalogs (Nashbar,
    Performance) for some more colorful <"tights", but they
    all seem to be black. I know Henry Ford did not invent
    <bicycle clothing, but does anyone know of anyplace that
    sells more colorful <"tights." I have thought about buying
    some white long underwear and dying <them yellow or green,
    but when I suggest it my wife hands me the single's
    <column in the paper.

    These guys list a navy, a silver and an aquamarine: http://-
    www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll?GEKKO~catalog~DETAIL~12

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Non-black clothing for winter riding... Possibly slushy,
    > wet, nasty gritty riding? Riding where my tights end up
    > with lots of nasty black grit on them? In bright
    > green/yellow/blue?
    >
    > No.

    No fenders?

  6. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> Non-black clothing for winter riding... Possibly slushy,
    >> wet, nasty gritty riding? Riding where my tights end up
    >> with lots of nasty black grit on them? In bright
    >> green/yellow/blue?
    >>
    >> No.

    > No fenders?

    Yes actually, full fenders front and back. Which helps a
    lot. But when I'm zipping down a curvy hill at a significant
    clip in heavy rain (it is Seattle after all (I'm still soggy
    from this mornings ride in)), there still is somewhat
    significant spray.

    I should probably work on adding some better mudflaps...

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "But Huey, you PROMISED!" "Tell 'em I lied."

  7. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> Non-black clothing for winter riding... Possibly slushy,
    >> wet, nasty gritty riding? Riding where my tights end up
    >> with lots of nasty black grit on them? In bright
    >> green/yellow/blue?
    >>
    >> No.

    > No fenders?

    Yes actually, full fenders front and back. Which helps a
    lot. But when I'm zipping down a curvy hill at a significant
    clip in heavy rain (it is Seattle after all (I'm still soggy
    from this mornings ride in)), there still is somewhat
    significant spray.

    I should probably work on adding some better mudflaps...

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "But Huey, you PROMISED!" "Tell 'em I lied."

  8. "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the
    > winter. I have been looking in the catalogs (Nashbar,
    > Performance) for some more colorful "tights", but they
    > all seem to be black.

    Not sure why you're looking for "tights" instead of tights,
    but if you're willing to think running as opposed to
    bicycling (especially since you're wearing them over
    shorts), you'll find a wider range of colors.

    Right now, sporting goods stores are trying to off-load
    their winter merchandise, so you should be able to find some
    tights on sale. I was at REI just last week and picked up a
    pair of thermal tights on sale. Two years ago, around this
    time of year, I got a pair of blue thermal tights in the
    running wear section of Sports Authority.

    If you'd rather shop on line, put "thermal running tights"
    into froogle, and see what you get.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky

    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

  9. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    mary wrote:

    > I wear "tights" under my regular old shorts in the winter.

    Why under? Seems like a real nuisance if you want to take
    them off because it warms up.

    > I have been looking in the catalogs (Nashbar, Performance)
    > for some more colorful "tights", but they all seem to be
    > black. I know Henry Ford did not invent bicycle clothing,
    > but does anyone know of anyplace that sells more colorful
    > "tights."

    Try Danskin. They probably have dance belts too.

    > I have thought about buying some white long underwear and
    > dying them yellow or green, but when I suggest it my wife
    > hands me the single's column in the paper.

    And rightly so.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus

  10. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Iseem to recall Velowear.com also selling colored tights... At any rate, it's good stuff at a good price.