Winter Commuting In Buffalo, New York

cdat

Jul 24, 2004
I am now a full time bicycle commuter in Buffalo. I am going to try it year around, anyone out there from Buffalo with winter bike riding advice? I used to ride in the snow but that was 25 years ago and I'm not so confidant now. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, From Syracuse NY I generally don't ride when we got snow predicted, that said sometimes i get caught on the way home in it but never real bad (lucky me). I know I had to put fenders on my winter rat bike ( old mtn. bike), because the cables would ice up then couldn't shift. I live south of syr. and it's hilly and need gears, if you can do it, it would be advisable to go with a single speed,Disk brakes. Now to the task at hand,riding. If your in the deep stuff might want to forego the clippless or toe straps and ride platform pedals. need open treaded tires. I would advise overall not riding when a BIG one comes unless you can avoid streets and cars, plows. in syr. we get those BIG ones too and it's downright nasty. I'm pretty hardy and wear a t- shirt and good wind waterproof shell most days w/light longjohns on bottom. (8 mile commute each way all uphill coming home). things that get cold,hands, forehead, feet, crotch on real cold days. have riding in 15 below b4 and gotta be careful. use old snowmobile gloves (mittens) very warm. get real waterproof and warm workboots for feet, baclava under helmit pull down to eyes keep that forehead covered. you'll figure it out as it gets colder and adjust to what your needs are. GL

Thanks for the advice Timmer. I live three miles from my job and going home for lunch, I get in 12 miles a day. I live in the city but can take side streets to avoid heavy traffic and plows. Here they concentrate on the mains before they touch the side streets so I can get back and forth without too many problems. I have a road bike but looking for a mountain or even hybrid for the snow. Any thoughts?

I just got into cycling and have just purchased a Specialized Sequoia. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9732&bikeTab=story
I live in Columbus, OH and have not had to ride in the snow yet. I am guessing I will not be able to ride this bike when the snow starts coming down. i am not too sure if I want to invest another $400-500 on a mountain bike. I commute to work ~15miles each way. I am concerned that the 30+ miles/day will become difficult on a MTB. Temperatures will also drop below 0 deg. F. What kind of equipment can I look for to make my ride more comfortable? If anyone has any adivice I would love to hear it!

I live in West Seneca and commute to alden every day. I begin in March and call it quits in October. Bundle up and avoid the potholes and the traffic. How far is your commute?
cdat said:
I am now a full time bicycle commuter in Buffalo. I am going to try it year around, anyone out there from Buffalo with winter bike riding advice? I used to ride in the snow but that was 25 years ago and I'm not so confidant now. Any help would be appreciated.

wifeh8sbikes said:
I live in West Seneca and commute to alden every day. I begin in March and call it quits in October. Bundle up and avoid the potholes and the traffic. How far is your commute?
A close friend of mine is moving to Buffalo in the next few weeks. I saw a post elsewhere about potholes in Buffalo. The writer even had a name for them - Tank Traps. Must be a major problem there. Might not be as bad as this supposed bike lane though.

wifeh8sbikes said:
I just finished riding through the winter and it sucked. i admit i loved impressing people at work when they asked "did i ride in today". but things do get cold i'm just glad it's spring again.

Quentin147 said:
I just finished riding through the winter and it sucked. i admit i loved impressing people at work when they asked "did i ride in today". but things do get cold i'm just glad it's spring again.
The first year was tough for me. Now it's like second nature - fighting cold winds, dodging a little ice, layering the clothing, etc. I like what somebody said to me the other day when the "Did you ride today?" question came up. He said, "Yes, thank God, I would have hated to drive a car in these conditions".

poweredbysweat said:
The first year was tough for me. Now it's like second nature - fighting cold winds, dodging a little ice, layering the clothing, etc. I like what somebody said to me the other day when the "Did you ride today?" question came up. He said, "Yes, thank God, I would have hated to drive a car in these conditions".
When it was freezing outside i'd come in sweating and say wow its hot outside. I always get such a confused look, that it amused me.