Winter Commuting Jacket Suggestion

vesterholt

Jun 27, 2014
I'm in the market for a winter commuting jacket. I need something that will keep me warm enough on a 30 (or ideally 20) degree day without getting sweaty on the 100' vertical climb over the Manhattan Bridge on a 45-50 degree day. It also needs to be loose fitting enough that it does not cause my dress shirt to get wrinkled and have at least one front pocket where I can put my phone and keys.

I don't ride if it is raining or bitterly cold, so those things aren't an issue. Price is not an issue.

This looks promising to me but it looks like it may not be warm enough on very cold days:

https://www.showerspass.com/products/transit-jacket

Good Morning Vesterholt:

Personally, I do not like to spend that much on bicycling specific clothes. If you want it and like it and buy it, that's great! In my experience, I would rather have more economical clothes to ruin next time I get a scrape in the icy weather.

With that being said, as a commuter, I get a windbreak/waterproof shell and use it with a synthetic fleece sweatshirt/sweatpants underneath. Either the shell or the sweatshirt can be removed depending on the weather conditions or a second sweatshirt can be added if it is really cold. Personally, at 20 degrees, I usually have wool socks and a larger shoe to accommodate the thicker socks, synthetic sweat pants, two synthetic sweat shirts, and a windproof/waterproof shell. If it is particularly windy, I would switch the lightweight shell for a heavier lined coat with the two sweatshirts.

I also would use my snowboard helmet as opposed to a bike helmet (lots warmer) and heavyweight gloves.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sincerely,
George