Winter Commuting

Doug

Guest
I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of not exercising much. I'm
having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress - I've also dropped 40lbs!

I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to expect. I don't mind the cold -
enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups and found a few sites that
discuss winter riding. I'm still not sure what to expect though.

I'm in Buffalo, NY - we get some snow from time to time...

I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
bike path.

I have a decent parka and snow pants. I plan on wearing boots & wool socks. Got gloves too. I
understand the "layered approach".

What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?

Anything else to look out for?

I hope these questions aren't too silly - I appreciate any help!

Thanks, Doug

A studded tire on the front is nice for remaining upright if there's ice hidden on the road. A
studded tire on the rear I guess would be nice too but isn't vital. It's nice to be able to swap the
unstudded wheel back on when there's no ice because studs are noisy and slow you down on dry
pavement. They cost a lot.

The hardest thing to ride in is snow rutted by cars; plain snow is okay, though a little slow. A
large gap between fender and tire is needed for snow or it will fill up with packed snow.

If you don't have fenders, the salt spray will get you.

A mud flap on the front fender is a good idea to keep the salt mostly off the chainwheel, where it
will be aimed directly otherwise.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

I live north of Albany NY and rode all last winter. I do not ride in the snow however so can't offer
any advice. If it snows, I ride the trainer till the next day when the roads are again plowed. Cold
is relative....some people can't stand under 50, I rode as low as zero althought I admit that was
hard on the toes. Layers is a must. Hands and feet are the hardest to keep warm. Plenty of headgear
to choose from that will keep your head toasty. The thing I learned the most is how hard the road
salt and **** is on your bike. In one winter, 2 freehub bodies and totally rusted out my front fork.
Very hard to keep the bike clean and the salt kills..Keep that in mind if you have a really really
news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:40:14 +0000, Doug wrote:

> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of not exercising much.
> I'm having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress - I've also
> dropped 40lbs!

Great!

> I'm in Buffalo, NY - we get some snow from time to time...

So I have heard.

> I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
> bike path.

> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?

Several things. Around here (Philadelphia), once it snows, and thaws a bit, the runners on the local
paths churn the snow cover into a moonscape of ice. When it freezes up again it is absolutely
impassible on any bike. If you can stick to the roads, do so. But they will lose their shoulders,
and become narrower as time goes on.

Definitely use knobby tires; studded ones if you ar going to hit lots of ice -- like there is a
chance you wouldn't.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

Hey Doug.

I just started bicycle commuting to school (Cont. Ed. at a local university here in Winnipeg). I'm
hoping to continue through the winter. We probably don't get as much snow as Buffalo, but the stuff
that falls in November will still be on the ground in March, so it does build up.

I don't intend to ride in heavy snow; I'll wait for the city to clear the roads. The little snow
riding I've done (1" - 2") was slippery and the last thing I want to do is crash on a slippery road
in front of on-coming cars.

While I've not cycled in the winter, I do run outdoors year-round. Layering is very important. It is
surprising how little clothing is actually needed when you're working hard. Keep a record of what
you wear, what the weather is like, and how it felt, so that you get a good idea of what to wear for
given conditions.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff

"Doug" wrote ...
> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of
not
> exercising much. I'm having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress -
> I've also dropped 40lbs!
>
> I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to
expect.
> I don't mind the cold - enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups
> and found a few sites that discuss winter riding.
I'm
> still not sure what to expect though.
>
> I'm in Buffalo, NY - we get some snow from time to time...
>
> I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
> bike path.
>
> I have a decent parka and snow pants. I plan on wearing boots & wool
socks.
> Got gloves too. I understand the "layered approach".
>
> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through
6-12"?

> Anything else to look out for?
>
> I hope these questions aren't too silly - I appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks, Doug

Mittens are better than gloves for keeping your hands warm, although manual dexterity does suffer.
Pearl Izumi (and possibly others) makes a very nice "lobster claw" mitten with two fingers that is a
good balance between manual dexterity and warmth. Some kind of glove liner inside your glove/mitten
will add warmth.

Studded tires are really nice to have on ice or hardpacked snow, they make staying upright a lot
easier. I use two Nokian Hakkapellitas, the lightweight commuter model. Yes they are expensive, but
the Nokians last a long time and work really well.
--
mark

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:06:42 GMT, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>Cold is relative....some people can't stand under 50,

40 is the point where it goes from being pleasant to being cold. Probably as with the wind chill
factor 40 makes it below freezing.

> I rode as low as zero althought I admit that was hard on the toes. Layers is a must. Hands and
> feet are the hardest to keep warm.

Ski mittens do fine for the hands. Can make them too warm. It's the toes that are hardest to
keep warm.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Don Wiss wrote:
> Ski mittens do fine for the hands. Can make them too warm. It's the toes that are hardest to
> keep warm.

This varies enormously depending on the person. I have the opposite, my toes never get cold but
fingers freeze in almost any mitten below about 15F. The variable is what your body does to conserve
heat. If it shuts down blood flow to a trickle then that extremity will get cold. The best trick
I've discovered is keep the wrist warm, which seems to disable the hand shut-down, and everything's
fine. Maybe there's something similar for feet.

On feet, a nearly 100% wool sock seems to be far superior to anything else. Less than about 80% wool
doesn't do much.

http://www.carhartt.com product A111 happens to be the sock I find works, gotten in a Meijer's
(discount chain). You can find the sock with the product search and enter A 111 in the link, but no
other way as far as I can see. A typical overdesigned web site.

About $12.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of not exercising much.
> I'm having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress - I've also
> dropped 40lbs!
>
> I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to expect. I don't mind the cold
> - enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups and found a few sites
> that discuss winter riding. I'm still not sure what to expect though.
>
> I'm in Buffalo, NY - we get some snow from time to time...
>
> I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
> bike path.
>
> I have a decent parka and snow pants. I plan on wearing boots & wool socks. Got gloves too. I
> understand the "layered approach".
>
> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?

Yes it is. When I was a kid, I rode to school throughout the winter in Iowa, so I understand the
snow and cold, but it was nowhere near the distance you're contemplating. You'll need good knobby
tires; maybe studded ones if your snow gets packed into ice. You'll probably also ride in much lower
gears than you're used to in dry weather.

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to expect. I don't mind the cold
> - enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups and found a few sites
> that discuss winter riding. I'm still not sure what to expect though.

Check out icebike.com

> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?

Very, if not impossible. You can ride on packed snow with wide tires. You can cut through some snow
with skinny tires, though a foot would be pushing it.

> Anything else to look out for?

Lots of people ride all year in places where it gets cold & snowy (like here in Boston). There's a
whole learning curve for dressing, riding, maintenance and bike setup, but it's still a practical
thing to do.

In article <[email protected]>, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of not exercising much.
> I'm having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress - I've also
> dropped 40lbs!
>
> I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to expect. I don't mind the cold
> - enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups and found a few sites
> that discuss winter riding. I'm still not sure what to expect though.
>
> I'm in Buffalo, NY - we get some snow from time to time...

I thought you guys only counted the days when it did not snow - six maybe???

> I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
> bike path.
>
> I have a decent parka and snow pants. I plan on wearing boots & wool socks. Got gloves too. I
> understand the "layered approach".
>
> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?
>
> Anything else to look out for?
>
> I hope these questions aren't too silly - I appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks, Doug

Doug:

Get a 10 or 12HP snow blower. Let us know how you attach it to the front of the bike.

Of course a trainer would work too.

HAND ( Have a Nice Day )

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
: You can ride on packed snow with wide tires. You can cut through some snow with skinny tires,
: though a foot would be pushing it.

well, yea, maybe until he developed a sense of balance.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The best trick I've discovered is keep the wrist warm, which seems to disable the hand shut-down,
> and everything's fine. Maybe there's something similar for feet.

This is true. There are large blood vessels close to the skin in your wrists and ankles. These areas
radiate more heat than anywhere except your head. So keeping wrists and ankles warm *does* help.
Similarly, venting your wrists and ankles when you're too warm helps a lot too.

Notice the latest fasion trend of wearing no socks, or low-cut mini socks. I think people adopted it
quickly because it's literally cooler.

> On feet, a nearly 100% wool sock seems to be far superior to anything else.
Less
> than about 80% wool doesn't do much.

I've found that too. You can't beat a densely woven all-wool sock. Synthetics and blends just aren't
as warm, or as windproof. However, really good all-wool socks are not easy to find. Most of them are
just fluffier, which doesn't work. Dense is the key.

> http://www.carhartt.com product A111 happens to be the sock I find works, gotten in a Meijer's
> (discount chain).

They make good stuff.

My best socks are hiking socks my sister brought me from Europe. I think the brand is Falke. They're
thin but densely woven wool, actually thinner than Smartwool socks, but a lot warmer. They're right
and left specific, for a close fit, which is also important. With these, I can ride for a couple of
hours in the 20s F, in my nylon mesh Sidis.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
: Notice the latest fasion trend of wearing no socks, or low-cut mini socks. I think people adopted
: it quickly because it's literally cooler.

hasn't this "latest trend" been going on for the btter part of a decade? or two? i can't remember
wearing anything but "mini socks."
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

: My best socks are hiking socks my sister brought me from Europe. I think the brand is Falke.
: They're thin but densely woven wool, actually thinner than Smartwool socks, but a lot warmer.
: They're right and left specific, for a close fit, which is also important. With these, I can ride
: for a couple of hours in the 20s F, in my nylon mesh Sidis.

If you started coveting http://www.globetrotter.de/ has them. I have some hiking socks from Falke,
dunno if they are 80+% wool. Could try :-, I also made cheap booties out of neopropene socks, size
X(?)XL, Chinese made, but fairly easily go over my size 42 shoes. Used to have wool socks on my
shoes before. I know this is far from adequate for the harshest winter weather we might be getting.

If it's not very cold and you're not sure if you're going to freeze or really sweat hugely, thighs
can be superb as technical wear.

This year I'm looking forward to trike commuting in the winter. A trike could be infeasible for deep
snow (you'd like to cut 3 paths instead of just 1 or 2 huh?) and when we get rough ice (happened all
the time last winter, riding a hardtail hybrid was not too much fun). Wiping out is not a problem
with a trike though, so I'd only need to watch out for the highest speeds.

Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of not exercising much.
> I'm having a good time and have also found it a great way to deal with stress - I've also
> dropped 40lbs!

Good for you!

> I'd like to keep riding through the winter, but am not sure what to expect. I don't mind the cold
> - enjoy sledding and such with the kids. I've poked through the newsgroups and found a few sites
> that discuss winter riding. I'm still not sure what to expect though.

Someone else pointed you to icebike.com, which is a good reference. We've also had a similar thread
a week or two ago, which you could read on Google.

> I commute to & from work. distance varies from 8 - 12 miles each way. 12 miles if I take the
> bike path.

As somebody else remarked, isolated bike paths usually become too rough for comfort. Residential
roads are often a good alternative, although they usually require you to stop quite often. Arterials
are usually plowed often and thoroughly, but snow banks may force you to take the lane where it
would be possible to share it in summer. (And don't even think of riding in traffic with chromed
steel rims.)

> What should I expect riding in snow - is it difficult riding through 6-12"?

Yes. Do you often need to drive through 6-12" in Buffalo?

> Anything else to look out for?

Any hills on your route? They take a whole new meaning in winter.

--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

> "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > The best trick I've discovered is keep the wrist warm, which seems to disable the hand
> > shut-down, and everything's
fine.
> > Maybe there's something similar for feet.
>
> This is true. There are large blood vessels close to the skin in your
wrists
> and ankles. These areas radiate more heat than anywhere except your head.
So
> keeping wrists and ankles warm *does* help. Similarly, venting your
wrists and
> ankles when you're too warm helps a lot too.

This is why I have cut-up old wool socks in the bike clothes drawer. (Don't you have a bike clothes
drawer in your dresser?). These are socks that were too holey in the toe for darning any more. I cut
them first off at the toe, and twice again near the heel, so I have four woolen tubes. I wear these
over the wrist and sometimes at the ankles for additional warmth and coverage. I have such extra
long arms that sleeves and tights cuffs often leave flesh exposed there. As I warm up as I ride, I
can pull the wrist tubes off pretty easily at a light, and significantly change how over-heated I
feel. Or, if my hands are feeling particularly chilly, I can pull them over the gloves and add an
extra layer of warmth over the hands and fingers, especially nice for a descent.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:15:52 GMT, <nMEjb.574533$cF.246769@rwcrnsc53>, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have such extra long arms that sleeves and tights cuffs often leave flesh exposed there.

arrrgh! <pant, pant> <drool> I'm sure by now you do know what sort of effect that has on males.

>As I warm up as I ride, I can pull the wrist tubes off pretty easily at a light, and significantly
>change how over-heated I feel.

Yeah but it has the opposite effect on your riding companions. Stoplight strip-tease. You're
driving me nuts!!

--
zk

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of
not ...

Thanks for all your comments. I'm ready to roll, but maybe not through a lot of snow. I'll post my
experiances later, once I've had some!

Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks. Has
any one else had the same experiance?

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:15:52 GMT, <nMEjb.574533$cF.246769@rwcrnsc53>, "Claire Petersky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have such extra long arms that sleeves and tights cuffs often leave flesh exposed there.
>
> arrrgh! <pant, pant> <drool> I'm sure by now you do know what sort of effect that has on males.

Ha. Ha.

I dk about you, but when it gets cold in the winter, any naked skin gets really cold. You can really
feel even the littlest bit of exposure.

I think I was the only kid in ski school with chapped wrists.