Winter Commuting

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:34:10 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Doug"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
>Has any one else had the same experiance?

Wait until you get out there, their worst suspicions will be confirmed.

I'd be extra careful to avoid injury so they're forced to keep their mouths shut.
--
zk

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:44:02 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm sure by now you do know what sort of effect that has on males.
>
>Ha. Ha.
>
>I dk about you, but when it gets cold in the winter, any naked skin gets really cold.

Generally, we're woolier.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of
> not ...
>
> Thanks for all your comments. I'm ready to roll, but maybe not through a lot of snow. I'll post my
> experiances later, once I've had some!
>
> Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
> Has any one else had the same experiance?

People look at me funny at work when they find out I ride in the rain. They start backing away
slowly when I tell them I'll stop when the roads are unrideable (which I do; I think studded tires
are a bit much for the three days of riding it might gain me).

In my experience, if you can dry out your gear between rides, and keep warm on the bike, everything
else takes care of itself.

Doug wrote:

>"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of
>>
>not ...
>
>Thanks for all your comments. I'm ready to roll, but maybe not through a lot of snow. I'll post my
>experiances later, once I've had some!
>
>Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
>Has any one else had the same experiance?

A truck driver who I chat with now and then still reminds me (a few years after the fact) : "Hey,
didn't you notice? The bus strike's over!" Best regards, Bernie

Zoot Katz wrote:

>Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:44:02 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Claire
>Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>I'm sure by now you do know what sort of effect that has on males.
>>>
>>Ha. Ha.
>>
>>I dk about you, but when it gets cold in the winter, any naked skin gets really cold.
>>

>Generally, we're woolier.

Zoot, your attitude is "woolly"! Aroooo! Bernie

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I've been cycling regularly since April of this year after many years of
>>>
>>not ...
>>
>>Thanks for all your comments. I'm ready to roll, but maybe not through a lot of snow. I'll post my
>>experiances later, once I've had some!
>>
>>Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
>>Has any one else had the same experiance?
>>

>People look at me funny at work when they find out I ride in the rain. They start backing away
>slowly when I tell them I'll stop when the roads are unrideable (which I do; I think studded tires
>are a bit much for the three days of riding it might gain me).
>
>In my experience, if you can dry out your gear between rides, and keep warm on the bike, everything
>else takes care of itself.

Yeah, that's about it. Lights help. Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> >>not ...
> >>
> >>Thanks for all your comments. I'm ready to roll, but maybe not through a lot of snow. I'll post
> >>my experiances later, once I've had some!

> >In my experience, if you can dry out your gear between rides, and keep warm on the bike,
> >everything else takes care of itself.
> >
> Yeah, that's about it. Lights help. Bernie

Of course. That's a given. Since we're enumerating a proper wet-commute bike, here's the
necessities:

-bike -lights (I prefer redundant setups at both ends) -rain gear (probably a jersey, jacket, and
some sort of rain pant at the minimum) -change of clothes, or at least a dry pair of socks for the
return trip.

Strongly preferred: -fenders (makes a vast difference) -booties -rain/cold gloves (I use Race
Face Aquanots)

> Of course. That's a given. Since we're enumerating a proper wet-commute bike, here's the
> necessities:
>
> -bike -lights (I prefer redundant setups at both ends) -rain gear (probably a jersey, jacket, and
> some sort of rain pant at the minimum) -change of clothes, or at least a dry pair of socks for the
> return trip.

With a small fan in one's office, you don't need the extra dry pair of socks. Even working
part-time, a pair of soaked socks, gloves, and shoes will dry out in front of a fan. It helps to
rotate these items, to not wear cotton (wool or synthetic is best) and to open up your shoes as much
as possible in front of the fan,

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

>...and to open up your shoes as much as possible in front of the fan,

I imagine that's the closest you can get to dry humor in the PNW.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Doug" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Sat, 18 Oct 2003
19:34:10 UTC

-> Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem -> to recieve odd
looks. Has any one else had the same experiance?

Just gets better when the question becomes " Are you still riding your bike?" My whole family rides
year round unless the snow is up to the BB on all availibel routes.

My 11 Year old son is very proud of having his bike locked up in the snow at school on days he
chooses not to take the school bus.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
>Has any one else had the same experiance?

Not for years. Lots of people cycle year round, 'round here. Heck, there is even street sign aimed
at winter cyclists.

http://mudhead.uottawa.ca/~pete/winters.jpg

Years ago when it was less common, we'd get strange looks.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 81% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Ha! that's great. My 13 yr old son is becoming more & more interested in biking now that I am.

"Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Doug" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Sat, 18 Oct
2003
> 19:34:10 UTC
>
> -> Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I
seem
> -> to recieve odd looks. Has any one else had the same experiance?
>
> Just gets better when the question becomes " Are you still riding your bike?" My whole family
> rides year round unless the snow is up to the BB
on
> all availibel routes.
>
> My 11 Year old son is very proud of having his bike locked up in the snow at school on days he
> chooses not to take the school bus.
>
> --
> I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
> [email protected]

> People look at me funny at work when they find out I ride in the rain. They start backing away
> slowly when I tell them I'll stop when the roads are unrideable (which I do; I think studded tires
> are a bit much for the three days of riding it might gain me).
>
> In my experience, if you can dry out your gear between rides, and keep warm on the bike,
> everything else takes care of itself.

But in the vancouver area, all days are rideable. Here in Montreal, we get some snow, but compared
to Buffalo? It is hard riding in the snow, but I do it here most days in winter except when it's
actively snowing (as much because I don't trust cars as anything...) In Buffalo, I'd worry about
getting overheated with too much gear on. It's surprising how fast you heat up. Start out a little
cold, and it will probably be about right. Fenders, washing bike, and avoiding too much snow (unless
you really are set up for it) will allow you to comfortably ride through winter. And tape over your
helmet vents. With at least an inch of foam, taped vents turn a helmet into a pretty good insulator.

Doug <[email protected]> wrote:

: Just one more question - when I mention to others what my plans are I seem to recieve odd looks.
: Has any one else had the same experiance?

Recent comment from a co-worker: "let's see if you're doing this 2 months from now". He's one of
those who ride the year round...

Can't wait to try my trike on snow, we could be getting a little bit any time now :) Hmm I gotta do
something to that low hanging chain though ;^)

whitfit wrote:

> > People look at me funny at work when they find out I ride in the rain. They start backing away
> > slowly when I tell them I'll stop when the roads are unrideable (which I do; I think studded
> > tires are a bit much for the three days of riding it might gain me).
> >
> > In my experience, if you can dry out your gear between rides, and keep warm on the bike,
> > everything else takes care of itself.
>
> But in the vancouver area, all days are rideable. Here in Montreal, we get some snow, but compared
> to Buffalo? It is hard riding in the snow, but I do it here most days in winter except when it's
> actively snowing (as much because I don't trust cars as anything...) In Buffalo, I'd worry about
> getting overheated with too much gear on. It's surprising how fast you heat up. Start out a little
> cold, and it will probably be about right. Fenders, washing bike, and avoiding too much snow
> (unless you really are set up for it) will allow you to comfortably ride through winter. And tape
> over your helmet vents. With at least an inch of foam, taped vents turn a helmet into a pretty
> good insulator.

The most useful equipment for winter bicycle commuting, in my two winters of doing so (last winter
being a doozy!), are:

-- Two wheel sets: one road wheels, one knobby or studded knobby. If you can only handle one set,
go with knobbies.

My studded Nokian knobbies cost $60 each but I consider them well worth the cost (especially if
they last a while; winter #3 is coming up for them). Road tires work OK except on real snowy
icy surfaces. I generally use them most of the winter, since 2-3 days after a storm, the roads
are clear enough.

-- Good lighting! If you ride during storms, you really need to make yourself visible. I made a
couple 20W lights using a 12V motorcyle battery. The rear of the bike has a Vistalight along with
three or four of the cheap, hardware store flashers. All in red.

-- Buy a balaclava. It kept me riding on days I would otherwise have probably taken the truck.
Definitely the most cost effective item for winter biking in my experience.

SMH