Winter cycling clothes

Methodical

Jun 25, 2012
This will be my 1st winter cycling and I'm looking to purchase some cycling clothes so that I can continue riding during the winter months. I don't want to waste money on trial and error, so can anyone recommend some decent winter wear? Also, I need advice on the proper layering technique to keep dry and warm. I live in the DC area if that helps. If you have links to some reading, I welcome that, too.

Thanks...Al

You might want to get a 2 layer jacket (outer wateproof membrane or fleece and inner fleece or microfleece). They are usually light. You can wear them according to needs. (Wind only, wind and water, just cold etc).
Gloves are very important if its too cold. Some wind proof ones would be good.

I do have a couple fleece jackets (not the cycling kind if there is such); just your ordinary kind. One thought I had was to wear a long sleeve cycling shirt, similar to the summer type, and a jacket over that, but I am concerned about sweating and trapping that sweat, which would make me cold. So a fleece jacket would suffice? I have the glove area covered. What about the leg area.

Thanks for the input

Al

Are you cycling on a commute or for recreation and training? The appropriate clothing might be different. I find soft shell jackets to be great. They offer wind protection and can fend off light showers, all while being extremely breathable. If it's raining a lot or hard, a hard shell might be necessary. Soft shells work great in snow. I'll wear my cycling jacket (a Giordana soft shell) when the temp dips below 40° or so, and depending on how low it goes, I'll either wear a short sleeved jersey or long sleeved jersey underneath. In the past, the soft shell coupled with a short sleeve jersey has kept me toasty down to at least 20°. As for my legs, if it's below 40° I'll either be sporting winter bib tights or bib knickers with leg warmers underneath. Don't ignore the need for hand and foot protection. Soft shell gloves or hard shell gloves might be necessary depending on where you live. Some folks get by just wearing ski gloves. I've got simple uninsulated long finger gloves for temps to 40°-ish and insulated soft shells for temps below there. If temps get brutal, I'll use an old pair of ice climbing gloves. For my feet, I wear the same 3/4 height wool socks I wear in the summer and add shoe covers. Sadly, there's no way to guarantee that you'll be able to buy something and have it work for you perfectly. What works for someone in winter can be very different from what works for another person.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep the suggest in mind when I go to purchase some threads. I ride for recreation mostly - not training for any type of race, but train just to get faster and for endurance.

I visited the local shop and found they have varied options for winter gear and what seems to be the most expensive options, too.

Here's my plan so far. I have a few long sleeve compression style shirts (i.e. UA, Starter that allows flow and removal of sweat from body) that I will use as a base layer, then my bike shirt as the 2nd layer and a jacket as the last layer when needed. As for the legs, I think I will get the leg warmers rather than the long pants because I always have a hard time finding the right fit, I can wear the leg warmers when the ride is cool (I tend to ride early mornings) and can remove them when it gets warmer. I found a nice set that has the wind guard (Gore brand). And for the really cold days, I plan to use a full face mask - this will also come in handy for when I head to the woods to do my wildlife photography. I found one that's supposedly has the same characteristics as the cycling shirts (doing some research on it). As far as the gloves, I found they sell windblockers style gloves that you can use over your cycling gloves. I like cold weather more than the hot weather and do not like bulky clothing, so this should work.

Thanks...Al

hands and feet are always the challenge. Sometimes a good set of ski gloves is the key as they have some insulation plus the ability to block the wind. i do a base layer plus jersey plus windbreaker type riding jacket. Base layer over bike shorts and then running pants. Those with a cap that covers the ears and I'm good to 20 degrees. Face covering normally just fogs up my glasses. You should be cold when you get on the bike, as you'll warm up. Best thing I've done is to warm up from the inside. One of the two bottles on the ride is full of coffee that i start drinking as soon as I start pedaling.

Lot's of good advice above. Some more thoughts:

- As Alienator suggests, don't ignore your feet. That's the first thing to get really cold as you don't move your toes much while cycling so get some decent booties to go over your cycling shoes. If you're going to ride in really cold weather they should be neoprene or other insulated booties, if you're riding in just cool but not frigid weather then a rain barrier style bootie can help keep your feet warm enough. If it's real cold consider picking up a pair of slightly oversized cycling shoes that you can wear with thicker wool socks without cutting off the blood circulation to your feet and toes.

- Wool layers rock. Consider a long sleeved wool cycling jersey as a very versatile layer for cool to very cold conditions.

- Leg warmers may be enough if it's just cool out (as in 40 to 45 degrees or higher) but for truly cold conditions go with full tights over or preferably under your cycling shorts. In addition to keeping your lower legs warm, an extra layer in the crotch can really help you from getting chilled and numb there which leg warmers can't do.

- Good gloves are essential, if it gets real cold or wet and cold then a pair of thin surgical gloves under your long fingered gloves can really help in terms of keeping your fingers warm. They'll still get soaked with sweat in that vapor barrier environment but they'll be wet and warm, not wet and frozen. Definitely dry your hands out well when you get home but that's not really a problem while cycling as it might be during extended winter outings like winter mountaineering.

- The full face mask can be great on really cold rides but get a thin helmet liner hat for most cold days. That alone can make a huge difference in terms of retaining body heat. A thin nordic ski beanie is a must have item on cooler days or warm cycling helmet liners that are snug around the ears are pretty nice as well.

It's not too hard to dress to ride year round, just be extra careful or skip your rides if there's ice, especially thin black water ice on the roads. That can end the fun in a hurry. But riding outside in the cold can be fine as long as the roads are dry and relatively safe.

-Dave

I rode all through last winter (having only gotten into cycling in summer 2011) and got by without a lot of extra gear; some of the stuff I did get ended up unused, for example shoe covers and a balaclava. I have to say I wouldn't ride below freezing for other reasons (ice in the bottle and on the road, tip of my nose freezing off etc) but mid-30s... piece of cake!

For example I wear normal bib shorts with leg warmers. I did buy warm tights and once put them over the shorts... thought my, er, pelvic area would boil. I'd say you're right in holding off on the long bibs. The only thing is that the shorts should have grippers around the hems, otherwise the warmers keep riding down.

Likewise, my shoes turned out to be warm enough - I have touring shoes which perhaps aren't as aggressively ventilated as road ones, and wool socks did the rest. As for the core, I found that my vest sandwiched between the baselayer and long-sleeve jersey works well.

One item I really like is a Craft Zero-extreme base layer, it really beats my Helly Hansen non-cycling one hands down (I don't have UA).

Generally I think it's wise to play it by ear rather than buy $1,000 worth of gear in advance!

These sell for about $14 in-store at Walmart ($10 online) and I used one under a long sleeve jersey this morning (53° starting temperature). It worked perfectly and I can see layering two of them under a jersey when it drops into the forties.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-Compression-Tee/11037553

It stayed dry during a 2 hr. 16 min. training ride over rolling terrain with two decent hard climbs. I don't care much for mock turtlenecks, but I think I'll be liking it when the temps drop below 40°!

I got to order me a pair of those heated ski socks! No combination of polypro/wool socks with booties can keep my toes warm for more than an hour when it's freezing or below.

Use thin layers, avoid cotton at all costs as it makes you colder when wet , wool if you can afford or find workable garments at 2nd hand stores, merino wool is best for layers that touch skin as it is non-itchy. Polyester, polypropelene e chest whetc. work but not as well as wool and get stinky real quick. I've found wind vests indespensible for days too warm for full jackets or under a jacket on very cold day to keep the wind off your chest when "zipping down" to cool down when overheated. A vest and sweater are often a much better choice than a jacket. Avoid non-breathable fabrics that don't have venting at least at the armpits, a non-breathable chest panel is acceptable.

The Greenland Army in WWII used 3 pair of wool socks and tennis sneakers! Motorcycle riders use neoprene overmits that cover the hand grips and controls. In sub freezing weather I wear a Bell helmet and crack the visor. A neoprene face mask or cloth balacava goes with my standard bike helmet. A fairing covers arms and hands. Any gloves or shoes should allow good circulation.

Grant-53 said:
The Greenland Army in WWII used 3 pair of wool socks and tennis sneakers!   Motorcycle riders use neoprene overmits that cover the hand grips and controls.  In sub freezing weather I wear a Bell helmet and crack the visor.  A neoprene face mask or cloth balacava goes with my standard bike helmet.  A fairing covers arms and hands.  Any gloves or shoes should allow good circulation.
Fairing?

I would suggest some merino wool baselayers, both short and long sleeve. I am not a tights person but I bought a pair of Gore and I weathered the winter quite nicely. I also have a soft shell Gore jacket with zip off sleeves that was just what the doctor ordered. The only other thing I would suggest are some form of foot covering. I went with toe covers last winter but in the colder days they weren't enough. Full covers are coming for me this winter. Gloves go without saying.

I have had very good luck with this cycling jacket keeping warm in the New England winter.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_527423_-1___202487

These cycling shoes have made a huge difference. I have used booties toe covers and layers of sock. These shoes work great with one pair of wool socks down into the teens. Lake cold weather winter shoes. I got mine at Nashbar for 80 bucks a year and a half ago.

My newest design is less rocket ship and more Vetter Windjammer style. Yes, a fairing is great all year round. Just make sure you mount it to the frame rather than the handlebars and forks to eliminate the cross wind input.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I never received notification of your replies to this thread, however, I'd like to thank each and everyone for your input.

I rode a couple times when the temp started out in high 40s (early morning rider) with a long sleeve compressor shirt (base layer) similar to the walmart shirt posted earlier and a summer jersey (top layer) and that worked perfectly for that temperature, so this will be my setup when the temperature is between the high 40s and high 50s. I don't like to be too warm, nor do I like to put on a lot of clothes and feel restricted. I can with stand being a bit cooler than probably many people, so less is best for me (i.e. thin layers as suggested). I do plan to take care of the head, ears (scull cap with ear flaps and face mask version for my wilderness adventures into the woods), fingers and toes (thinking of toe covers for now) because if the extremities aren't right, the ride won't be right. I am kind of up in the air when it comes to leg warmers or full tights, although I more biased towards the leg warmers. My bike shorts have the grippy lining, so they would merry up with the leg warmers. As far as a winter jacket, I just ordered the Gore Phantom 2.O jacket/vest (see below), a B-day gift, which I plan to use as either the mid layer or 3rd layer depending on the weather (below mid 40s). I know there's going to be some trial and error and it has just started with the Gore jacket.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I now have some info to fall back on.

Al

http://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE-WEAR%C2%AE-PHANTOM-2.0-WINDSTOPPER%C2%AE-Soft-Shell-Jacket/JWPHAS,default,pd.html

I didn't read the entire thread, so I may be guilty of some redundancy, but my advice is to protect yourself against wind and cold. I've never found that I like a lot of heavy insulaltion, but I do find that buying tights with wind resistant panels, ant a light, but wind resistant jacket work wonders. Most days, when it's not frigid, you can get away with wearing tights under a regular chamois, and putting on a long sleeve long underwear shirt, and regularly short sleeve jersey, and a vest. Toe covers or shoe covers are usually a good idea, and are medium weight wool socks. Gloves...again, wind resistance. Riding in the rain is a whole different story. Anyhow, arm warmers and leg warmers can to the trick on days with cold mornings when you're expecting it to warm up quickly. I tend to ride in wool Jerseys when it gets cold. They are expensive, but awesome. This http://www.notubes.com/Mens-Wool-Jersey-P408C28.aspx , and this http://www.solocc.com/jerseys-and-base-layers/26-quipe-jersey are pretty nice. There re plenty of others out there too. I find wool to be a perfect balance, and it doesn't stink!