Winter Cycling Clothing in Toronto

Tim McNamara wrote:
> I dunno about the weather in Toronto, here in Minensota we have had
> the warmest winter on record thus far. [snip]
>
> Anyway, dress for the weather you are having, whatever that is, and
> not the weather you might have. It's easy to stay warm, it's not easy
> to avoid overheating and ending up wet with sweat.

Yeah, our winter has been screwy, too. From -9C to +6C overnight, for
example. I don't know if the heating-degree-day record to date has been
broken ( I think the meteologists are afraid of jinxing the season) but
it's been crazy-warm most of the time.

And the 'avoid overheating' rule is why I prefer thin longjohns under
regular tights - I can always elect to not wear the inner layer should
the ride home be warmer than the ride in. Lined or winter-weight tights
take that option away.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> I dunno about the weather in Toronto, here in Minensota we have had
> the warmest winter on record thus far. [snip]
>
> Anyway, dress for the weather you are having, whatever that is, and
> not the weather you might have. It's easy to stay warm, it's not easy
> to avoid overheating and ending up wet with sweat.

Yeah, our winter has been screwy, too. From -9C to +6C overnight, for
example. I don't know if the heating-degree-day record to date has been
broken ( I think the meteologists are afraid of jinxing the season) but
it's been crazy-warm most of the time.

And the 'avoid overheating' rule is why I prefer thin longjohns under
regular tights - I can always elect to not wear the inner layer should
the ride home be warmer than the ride in. Lined or winter-weight tights
take that option away.

Hi guys. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Never thought I'd get this many responses, but I do appreciate every
one.

I have slicks on my mountain bike right now, and I want to try them.
Granted, Toronto has been strangely warm, and the Farmer's Almanac is
wrong as well. How can that be?

I think my outlier in all this is that I expected to have some kind of
heavy thick kind of pants, which you guys say isn't necessary. That's
great. It indeed sounds like a wind problem, more than an insulation
problem. I generally produce a lot of heat (I hate the summer) so
venting is important as well. I'm glad this is the case, as I can thin
up the clothing. Thin is good. I guess this is why I said I thought
MEC didn't have what I was looking for, as their pants seemed a bit
thin for what I wax expecting. My expectations were wrong. I thought
it strange MEC wouldn't be on top of such an important topic.

I need some blinky's, definitely. They are < $4 at MEC.

Again, thanks for the great thread. Now I have no excuse! See you
guys on the road.

Peter Cole wrote:
> I'll "third" this. "Powerstretch" is made here in Massachusetts by
> Malden Mills, it's the "uber" technical material for cold weather. I
> have a pair of bib tights which work for me into the teens (F), below
> that, I layer a pair of Powerstretch warm-ups over (good to sub-0).
>
> Powerstretch is "4-way" polyester stretch fleece (smooth outside,
> "terry" inside). It has very good "wet warmth" and is treated with a
> (permanent) silver compound for anti-bacterial qualities. I also have a
> LS jersey made from it,

Two questions: #1: Who makes jersies out of powerstretch? (I like the
tights so much I'm tempted)

#2: I find that if riding clothing doesn't fit snugly, I get "cold
spots" where the fabric gaps away from my skin. For example, with
tights, in the hollow that forms at the top of my thighs when I bend
forward. How do other people deal with this?

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
>> I'll "third" this. "Powerstretch" is made here in Massachusetts by
>> Malden Mills, it's the "uber" technical material for cold weather. I
>> have a pair of bib tights which work for me into the teens (F), below
>> that, I layer a pair of Powerstretch warm-ups over (good to sub-0).
>>
>> Powerstretch is "4-way" polyester stretch fleece (smooth outside,
>> "terry" inside). It has very good "wet warmth" and is treated with a
>> (permanent) silver compound for anti-bacterial qualities. I also have
>> a LS jersey made from it,

> Two questions: #1: Who makes jersies out of powerstretch? (I like the
> tights so much I'm tempted)

I think Gekko Gear (Col'd Lizard) does. I made my own (I sew a little)
from fabric I ordered from Malden Mills.

> #2: I find that if riding clothing doesn't fit snugly, I get "cold
> spots" where the fabric gaps away from my skin. For example, with
> tights, in the hollow that forms at the top of my thighs when I bend
> forward. How do other people deal with this?

Yeah, tights have to be tight to work. If you have any gap to the skin,
air will circulate ruining the insulating effect. That's one of the
reasons I made my own jersey, it has to be much tighter under the
armpits than most jerseys to insulate well. I'm not aware that my bib
tights have any gaps as yours seem to, not sure why.

I was looking at some of the new hats that are designed to be under
helmets. They look great. It sounds like I'll have to switch my
pedals back to the originals, which are flat and come with straps, but
I'll need new straps. I have old hiking boots I can work with.

Honestly, I'm not worried about snow. We've had more rain in Toronto
than any winter I can remember.

Thanks for the notes, people. Cheers

In article <[email protected]>,
BeeRich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi guys. Sorry for the delayed reply.
>
> Never thought I'd get this many responses, but I do appreciate every
> one.
>
> I have slicks on my mountain bike right now, and I want to try them.
> Granted, Toronto has been strangely warm, and the Farmer's Almanac is
> wrong as well. How can that be?
>
> I think my outlier in all this is that I expected to have some kind of
> heavy thick kind of pants, which you guys say isn't necessary.

Extremities - hands and feet - are the most difficult to keep warm.
Legs, since their doing all the work generate most of the heat, and are
among the least susceptible body parts to cold. As others have
mentioned, tights do a fine job in keeping your legs warm; however, in
some circumstances I've noticed they can aggravate the persistent
challenge of cold weather riding: keeping your feet warm.

I tend to avoid tights in instances where there's heavy rain and the
temperature's between 0 to 10 degrees (Celsius). Tights are designed to
shed water; and in this case it has no place to flow but down your legs
and onto, or rather, into your footwear. The tights I've seen are not
designed to extend beyond and fasten over your boot's upper (correct
me if I'm wrong) like rain pants, but stop short of, or are worn
within, the shoe cuffs. Result: while your legs remain warm the feet
are flushed in ice cold water for the duration of the ride.

In these conditions rain pants that extend past the top of your boot
are preferable. Of course, in dry weather, regardless of temperature,
this is not a concern. And in warmer temperatures, because wet feet
don't automatically equate to cold feet, cycling with sodden tootsies
is not a problem.

MEC carries excellent rain pants; I've had a pair for about 5 years
that only sees action in the aforementioned conditions (about 10 times
a year).

> That's
> great. It indeed sounds like a wind problem, more than an insulation
> problem. I generally produce a lot of heat (I hate the summer) so
> venting is important as well. I'm glad this is the case, as I can thin
> up the clothing. Thin is good. I guess this is why I said I thought
> MEC didn't have what I was looking for, as their pants seemed a bit
> thin for what I wax expecting. My expectations were wrong. I thought
> it strange MEC wouldn't be on top of such an important topic.

Of interest may be this observation: I find that if I'm toasty and warm
before embarking on a commute then, guaranteed, I'll be overheating and
sweating heavily before long. But if I feel a bit nippy at the onset,
that's usually a sign that I'm dressed appropriately. Exceptions are
the hands and feet: if they're cold before starting out they're almost
certain to freeze thereafter.

> I need some blinky's, definitely. They are < $4 at MEC.
>
> Again, thanks for the great thread. Now I have no excuse! See you
> guys on the road.

Just some more thoughts BR. For LED lights I recommend buying those
that run on (two) AA batteries; then get some NiMH batteries and a
recharger.

The 'Turtle' single LED lights from MEC are handy and very cheap at
about $3 or so (batteries included). However they require two CR2032
watch batteries; these go for between $3.50 and $5 at a variety store -
the cost of replacing the Turtle's batteries runs twice that of the
cost of the LED! Fortunately MEC sells these batteries in packages of 5
at a cost of 50 cents per battery; if you buy the Turtle LEDs fill up
on batteries before checking out.

Luke

In article <[email protected]>,
BeeRich <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was looking at some of the new hats that are designed to be under
> helmets. They look great. It sounds like I'll have to switch my
> pedals back to the originals, which are flat and come with straps, but
> I'll need new straps. I have old hiking boots I can work with.
>
> Honestly, I'm not worried about snow. We've had more rain in Toronto
> than any winter I can remember.

It's almost February and the Don Valley trail is completely devoid of
snow - as no doubt are the rest in the GTA network. Amazing.

Luke

I'll second this combination. Only difference is I will often wear the
looser insulated, waterproof pants. For feet, I'll sometimes wear some
neoprene socks over the wool that I got closeout in the Hunting
section. I don't wear cycling shoes - I go with hiking boots. I find
them warmer, but then, I've never tried the shoe covers. Sometimes I
do wear a thick coat if it's very cold (below 20 deg F).
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

>Wind proof/water resistant running tights over long underwear

Wool socks
Cycling shoes, with shoe covers
thin fleece zip jacket with a nylon vest for down to -5C
thin fleece zip jacket with nylon cycling jacket for less than -5C
ski gloves
Fleece balaclava, with hat over top

Quick question about NiMH batteries. I've been using the Radio Shack
black rechargeables for ... I don't know how long. Way past a decade.
I don't like throwing batteries out. When Lithium Ion came out, I
started looking for AA size, but I still cannot find them. Know where
I can get some? I see that on the MEC site, Rayovac has NiMH AA's, but
they are unavailable. Are they that popular that nobody can ever find
them?

Thanks for the notes.

Cheers

I'm sure Wawa has snow. But I'm heading up there in May or June.

In article <[email protected]>,
BeeRich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Quick question about NiMH batteries. I've been using the Radio Shack
> black rechargeables for ... I don't know how long. Way past a decade.
> I don't like throwing batteries out. When Lithium Ion came out, I
> started looking for AA size, but I still cannot find them. Know where
> I can get some? I see that on the MEC site, Rayovac has NiMH AA's, but
> they are unavailable.

That's strange, I bought a pair of NiMH Rayovac AAs on Friday from Mec.
Perhaps Mec's website is not accurately reflecting what's available
in-house. Regardless, NiMH are so widely available that obtaining them
is no problem: Home Hardware, Source (aka Radio Shack), Home Depot,
etc...

Sorry, I don't know enough to comment on the availability of Lithium
Ion AAs.

Luke

Word is out that they are re-inventing the site. To be honest I quite
like the current one, but I'd like to switch off non-male and
non-unisex products from showing up.

In article <290120062121290265%[email protected]>, Luke
<[email protected]> wrote:

> That's strange, I bought a pair of NiMH Rayovac AAs on Friday from Mec.
> Perhaps Mec's website is not accurately reflecting what's available
> in-house. Regardless, NiMH are so widely available that obtaining them
> is no problem: Home Hardware, Source (aka Radio Shack), Home Depot,
> etc...

Arrggh! Sorry BR, just realized that through this thread my references
to 'AA' batteries were meant to read 'AAA' batteries. That applies to
size of battery required by Mec's LEDs as well as the pair of NiMHs I
just bought.

Luke
One 'A' short!

> black rechargeables for ... I don't know how long. Way past a decade.
> I don't like throwing batteries out. When Lithium Ion came out, I
> started looking for AA size, but I still cannot find them. Know where
> I can get some? I see that on the MEC site, Rayovac has NiMH AA's, but
> they are unavailable. Are they that popular that nobody can ever find
> them?
>
> Thanks for the notes.

Well, there is a reason you haven't found the LiIon batteries. A single Ni
technology cell outputs 1.2 volts, while an alkaline battery for instance
outputs 1.5V. The LiIon batteries are very different, a single cell has
3.7V. They also need special circuitry to be recharged - it is simply harder
to work with them. That is why they do not make AA or AAA cells in LiIon
technology. They are just used differently.

Domi

Domagoj Malovic wrote:
> Well, there is a reason you haven't found the LiIon batteries. A single Ni
> technology cell outputs 1.2 volts, while an alkaline battery for instance
> outputs 1.5V....

Into what impedance and what state of discharge?

I have measured the open circuit voltage on thousands of new alkaline
cells, and they average out around 1.6 volts.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Johnny Sunset said:
Domagoj Malovic wrote:
> Well, there is a reason you haven't found the LiIon batteries. A single Ni
> technology cell outputs 1.2 volts, while an alkaline battery for instance
> outputs 1.5V....

Into what impedance and what state of discharge?

I have measured the open circuit voltage on thousands of new alkaline
cells, and they average out around 1.6 volts.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Waaay too much time on your hands Tom.
Dan

Dan Burkhart wrote:
> Johnny Sunset Wrote:
> > Domagoj Malovic wrote:
> > > Well, there is a reason you haven't found the LiIon batteries. A

> > single Ni
> > > technology cell outputs 1.2 volts, while an alkaline battery for

> > instance
> > > outputs 1.5V....

> > Into what impedance and what state of discharge?
> >
> > I have measured the open circuit voltage on thousands of new alkaline
> > cells, and they average out around 1.6 volts.
> >
> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

> Waaay too much time on your hands Tom.

I did all the measuring when I worked for Rayovac, so I received some
minor financial compensation.

--

Luke wrote:
> In article <290120062121290265%[email protected]>, Luke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That's strange, I bought a pair of NiMH Rayovac AAs on Friday from Mec.
>>Perhaps Mec's website is not accurately reflecting what's available
>>in-house. Regardless, NiMH are so widely available that obtaining them
>>is no problem: Home Hardware, Source (aka Radio Shack), Home Depot,
>>etc...
>>

> Arrggh! Sorry BR, just realized that through this thread my references
> to 'AA' batteries were meant to read 'AAA' batteries. That applies to
> size of battery required by Mec's LEDs as well as the pair of NiMHs I
> just bought.

Pretty sure we have AA *and* AAA NiMH's routinely available around here,
in Target, Office Depot, places like that. I would expect similar
stores in Canada. I have a bunch of the AA's and (just checked) some AAA
NiMH Rayovacs. The AAA size isn't stocked as often as the AA's since
they aren't in as high demand, but stores with wide inventories around
here have them.

Mark in Salem, Oregon, US

Luke wrote:
> In article <290120062121290265%[email protected]>, Luke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > That's strange, I bought a pair of NiMH Rayovac AAs on Friday from Mec.
> > Perhaps Mec's website is not accurately reflecting what's available
> > in-house. Regardless, NiMH are so widely available that obtaining them
> > is no problem: Home Hardware, Source (aka Radio Shack), Home Depot,
> > etc...
> >

> Arrggh! Sorry BR, just realized that through this thread my references
> to 'AA' batteries were meant to read 'AAA' batteries. That applies to
> size of battery required by Mec's LEDs as well as the pair of NiMHs I
> just bought.

This confusion can be avoided by referring to these battery sizes as
LR-03 and LR-06.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley