Winter Cycling Gloves

SCOOBA STEVE

Aug 7, 2003
What are the best gloves for riding in winter. I have an old pair of 3M THINSULATE gloves that were great but i have noticed the new gloves seem to be made from different material. What do you guy recommend.

Kind of depends on your definition of winter. For about 30 deg F to high-30's, I like a light polartec-type glove. For 25-30, I use some Specialized real gloves. For anything more hardcore than that, I LOVE a pair of Gore-tex (hence windproof/waterproof) mittens. My hands have never, ever been cold in them. I commute 365/year in Raleigh, NC.

For WINTER cycling (-10 to -20 Celsius) or several Hours when it's snowing/raining (temperatures around the freezing point), thick GoreTex gloves made for Alpine skiing works fine. For milder clima - any so-called winter glove made for cycling works. If it's raining, you need to have gloves made of GoreTex, neoprene, Sympatex or similar fabrics.

Originally posted by SCOOBA STEVE
What are the best gloves for riding in winter. I have an old pair of 3M THINSULATE gloves that were great but i have noticed the new gloves seem to be made from different material. What do you guy recommend.

I've tried a lot of winter gloves and would most heartily recommend "Gortex Windstoppers". Since they breath your hands won't get wet in the gloves (like neoprene) and consequently cold. They're thin and light to maintain a good "feel" of the bike. It's a good idea to rinse them occasionally to get rid of the salts that build up. Hang them up to dry and they'll be ready for the next day's ride.
I've found that breaking the wind is the key, unless the circulation in your hands is poor, the extra insulation will add to sweating and then cold hands once you get warmed up.
Bon Route!

I wear fleece for very cold weather...fleece dries quickly. If you choose fleece though, make sure it has a vapor barrier between two layers of fleece. The vapor barrier allows moisture vapor to escape while preventing the weather from getting in.

For somewhat warmer days I use high performance poly-propylene gloves designed for skiing.