Winter cycling is insane and suicidal.

Not for me. I'm not buying a ticket for the hypothermia lottery. My chances of winning as a skinny diabetic are too good. The hot rum is for after the cold ride, not during.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpre53 .

The hot rum is for after the cold ride, not during.

When is the time for ham?
big-smile.png

I never mix cycling or skiing with alcohol. Boating is all together another story.

mpre53 said:
Boating is fine if I'm riding. Driving, not so much. :big-smile: It's ALWAYS time for ham.
Slow boats make it easy and as far as meat I enjoy breasts and thighs also. Uh chicken of course.

Quote by JH:
"I never mix cycling or skiing with alcohol. Boating is all together another story."

The S.S. Failboat?

Originally Posted by jhuskey

Slow boats make it easy and as far as meat I enjoy breasts and thighs also. Uh chicken of course.

Chicken you say?
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

Throw in that ham and you've got...

0.jpg

big-smile.png

Well, she ain't hot but she's, ehmmm, from NYC???
big-smile.png

http://blog.eleanorsnyc.com/

Yer right, Volnix. Eleanor/Alison is a female.

No male...at least none in their right mind...would sell this product:

The skirt garter. It keeps a skirt DOWN! Communism, I say!

I know I am living in Texas and it really doesn't get that cold here. I did spend 8 years in Utah however and even there I rode year round or as long as it was above -5 or so. Below that I didn't have the gear for it. My MTB was my ride of choice in the winter sporting studded tires. My gear included insulated boots, tights and jerseys, ski gloves, and heavy riding jacket. It doesn't take long to warm up. Mountain trails are fun as long as you are off the ice covered trails before the sun melts too much of the surface the riding is good. Roads are even easier since snow and ice removal make studded tires unnecessary much of the time. The adventurous cyclist can throw a set of MTB peddles on their road bike and take to the streets for some serious miles. If the roads aren't clear just ride the fat tire bike.

Originally Posted by Flatire
-snip -
... My MTB was my ride of choice in the winter sporting studded tires. My gear included insulated boots, tights and jerseys, ski gloves, and heavy riding jacket...
-snip-
Yeah, I've been looking at getting a set of studded tires so I won't have to worry the ice. Several friends have broken bones due to ice. Who sez we get smarter with age?
wink.png

I've also found that insulated boots are much more convenient and warmer than booties. The last three years I've used Specialized boots with the MTB soles. I just purchased some Lake 303's which have more insulation but more important, I went with a larger boot which will allow two pair of medium socks. The Specialized are snug with a single pair of medium weight socks but still good to around 20 degrees or so. Looking forward to giving the Lakes a try when the temp's drop again.

Originally Posted by DaftPulp

Meanwhile in Canada..

My junk built winter driver.
Sorry but this cannot be real. It has already been determined that winter cycling is insane and suicidal.
wink.png

Are those standard tires?

Winter in chicago must be bad to prompt the initial posting. I remember going one winter here in NJ without using the car at all (I was trying to ride every day). I commuted on an older fixed gear road frame. When it snowed I took my mountain bike. It wasn't impossible or suicidal. Going over the bridge you crossed the county line and entered a county that did not believe in plowing so you have packed snow and tire treads unless it was real early. Never had a significant winter-weather related accident *.

Now a few years later i have a mountainbike i built up with rigid forks, drop bars and mitten-friendly bar-end shifters, for the purpose, but I'm too lazy to ride in snow unless it's pristine because i don't like cleaning off all the corrosive road salt.

* - Only time I ever wiped out was coming home from a weekend group road ride that got cancelled ten miles in because a drizzle turned to almost invisible black ice. I was on my way home (BECAUSE OF THE ICE!) and went down, sliding across the entire length of a bridge over interstate I-78 on my back while spinning like a top. I walked away with no real injuries and the bike was fine except for some minor scrapes to rear quick release and handlebar tape. No biggee, and not "winter" riding -- there was no snow and it was above freezing, oddly enuff.

I was in Chicago in January about 30 years ago. The temperature was -15. That's -15F. To say that it sucked is an understatement.

Temps have been relatively warm ... I cycled with bare legs and long sleeve jersey on Monday.