Winter cycling jackets.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by crees22, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. crees22

    crees22 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    Hi,

    Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny that!
    Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    Cheers. Mr Chris

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    crees22 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
    > its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air.

    Funny
    > that!
    > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable

    price
    > (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket

    and a
    > Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    > Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    > warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    You missed the Aldi cycling jackets 2 weeks ago; the running jacket
    will probably be OK given the mild winters we often get, could always
    wear a fleece under it; check it has enough pockets.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    crees22 wrote:

    > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
    > (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket anda
    > Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html

    Not much: cycle jacket more likely to have a rear pocket (I never use
    them, even on my uprights, so I don't care even though I have them) and
    a more pronounced drop tail, which can be nice but isn't exactly essential.

    Roos uses a running jacket and hasn't felt any need to "upgrade".

    > Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    > warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    A thin windproof is fairly cheap and all you need. The actual warmth
    bit can come from putting a warm pullover(s) underneath it. Waterproofs
    are all very well when it's raining but when it isn't, unless it's
    /really/ cold, one does tend to sweat rather in them, and the fully
    waterproof breathable fabrics generally don't let out as much as people
    make, especially at the cheaper end of the market.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    crees22 <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
    > its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny
    > that!
    > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
    > (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
    > Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    > Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    > warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    Cycling jackets are sometimes longer in the body - which helps to keep
    your bum dry when cycling. Also some reflective material is a good
    feature for a cycling jacket. Personally I am a fan of jackets that
    have zippable arm-pit holes - they really help you to keep cool, but
    there aren't that many on the market.

    Incidentally - finding something to keep warm is not really the
    problem - there are loads of things that are adequate for that - it's
    finding something to keep you reasonably dry when it rains, whilst not
    making you too hot, that is the difficult thing.

    The Aldi jackets will probably be fine, although the claim to both
    water*proof* and breathable should probably be taken with a pinch of
    salt.

  5. crees22

    crees22 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

    Ok, superb! thanx ppl, nice bit of advice. Might have a pop down to Aldi over the next few days see if they have them in stock.

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    crees22 wrote:

    > Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

    Ah, it can't do that without falling foul of the trades descriptions
    act, so technically not true. However, one must be aware of what
    "waterproof" means. It means that the fabric of the jacket, including
    the seams, can withstand a certain hydrostatic head which is basically
    more than you'll get in any rain. What it /doesn't/ necessarily mean is
    that any "breathable" component will in any way move water vapour away
    as fast as you vent it from your own pores or that said vapour won't
    condense in your clothes first, and another way it can let water in is
    through the holes at the ends of the arms, the hem and the neck from
    where capillary action through your clothes can make everything good and
    damp. The zip may or may not be adequately covered, bit the lighter and
    cheaper the less likely that is.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:24:27 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >crees22 wrote:
    >
    >> Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

    If your out on the bike, and it pours with rain .. your gonna get
    wet!! Unless your wearing a gas tight or divers suit.

  8. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:32:16 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >crees22 wrote:
    >
    >> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
    >> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
    >> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html

    >Not much: cycle jacket more likely to have a rear pocket (I never use
    >them, even on my uprights, so I don't care even though I have them)

    WHAT?? You can't be a real cyclist then Pete ;-)

    Mine is always full of bits .......... just in case. Wooly hat,
    bananas, mince pies (its nearly Xmas) small water bottle (mouth
    rinse), lip balm, bit of money for 'whenever', glasses, small pencil
    and paper (gets a bit soggy), sweat band (for when I exced 8 mph)
    ...... and that's just in the middle pocket

    >> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    >> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    >A thin windproof is fairly cheap and all you need. The actual warmth
    >bit can come from putting a warm pullover(s) underneath it. Waterproofs
    >are all very well when it's raining but when it isn't, unless it's
    >/really/ cold, one does tend to sweat rather in them, and the fully
    >waterproof breathable fabrics generally don't let out as much as people
    >make, especially at the cheaper end of the market.

    Agreed ...................... I just get wet and ride straight home !!

    Ooh I could put a small windjacket in my rear jersey pocket ........
    Hmm no room.

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jack Ouzzi wrote:

    > WHAT?? You can't be a real cyclist then Pete ;-)

    On the contrary, I'm just one who prefers leaning back on a comfy chair
    to leaning on his arms ;-) Though that isn't too compatible with rear
    pockets :-(
    On the uprights, on the Brom I'll have a front pannier with pockets
    right in front of me which is easier and on the 8 Freight you're really
    just Not Thinking if you bother carrying on yourself rather than the bike!

    > Agreed ...................... I just get wet and ride straight home !!

    And a light windproof will keep the worst of the rain off, which is
    actually of more significance than it sounds. Dries out fast too.

    > Ooh I could put a small windjacket in my rear jersey pocket ........
    > Hmm no room.

    Maybe there is if you use Montane's lightest windshirt which comes in at
    65g and the size of a small apple when packed. Good bit of kit!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  10. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
    > its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny
    > that!
    > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
    > (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
    > Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    > Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    > warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    Buy an Altura cycling coat for 50 ukp. They are brilliant - I won't go into
    details; just go and inspect one.

    I don't know exactly how you might turn 10 ukp into 50 ukp but a few hours
    of paid work will generally do the trick.

    The new one is screaming yellow, so it should be visible from 100m. Warmth
    comes from an underlayer and lots of pedalling.

    John

  11. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    crees22 <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com
    wrote:
    >Ok, superb! thanx ppl, nice bit of advice. Might have a pop down to
    >Aldi over the next few days see if they have them in stock.

    Aldi doesn't work like that. Stuff arrives every Thursday, the vultures
    descend, and by the following Thursday they aim to have sold almost
    everything to make way for whatever next week's theme is. If you want much
    chance of buying stuff from this week's offers, go immediately.

    Incidentally next week's themes are bedding and tools; there's a tool case
    that might be handy for storing bike bits and pieces.
    --
    The Irish are a fair people - they never speak well
    of one another. - Samual Johnson

  12. "crees22" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi,
    > Snip

    My Aldi have still got the cycling jackets and they are half price. Worth
    looking out for. They were a brilliant buy even at full price.

    Cliff

    > > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price

    > (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
    > Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    > Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    > warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.
    >
    > Cheers. Mr Chris
    >

    > --
    > crees22

  13. "Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected] luncheonmeatblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "crees22" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> Snip

    > My Aldi have still got the cycling jackets and they are half price. Worth
    > looking out for. They were a brilliant buy even at full price.
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    >> > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price

    >> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
    >> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
    >> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
    >> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

    A fiver?

    I'm gutted. I paid a whole crisp tenner for mine.

    Wonder if they've got any left in Tottenham...

    --
    Chris