Winter cycling jackets.

crees22

New Member
Dec 15, 2003
Hi,

Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny that!
Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

Cheers. Mr Chris

crees22 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
> its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air.

Funny
> that!
> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable

price
> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket

and a
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

You missed the Aldi cycling jackets 2 weeks ago; the running jacket
will probably be OK given the mild winters we often get, could always
wear a fleece under it; check it has enough pockets.

crees22 wrote:

> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket anda
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html

Not much: cycle jacket more likely to have a rear pocket (I never use
them, even on my uprights, so I don't care even though I have them) and
a more pronounced drop tail, which can be nice but isn't exactly essential.

Roos uses a running jacket and hasn't felt any need to "upgrade".

> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

A thin windproof is fairly cheap and all you need. The actual warmth
bit can come from putting a warm pullover(s) underneath it. Waterproofs
are all very well when it's raining but when it isn't, unless it's
/really/ cold, one does tend to sweat rather in them, and the fully
waterproof breathable fabrics generally don't let out as much as people
make, especially at the cheaper end of the market.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

crees22 <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
> its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny
> that!
> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

Cycling jackets are sometimes longer in the body - which helps to keep
your bum dry when cycling. Also some reflective material is a good
feature for a cycling jacket. Personally I am a fan of jackets that
have zippable arm-pit holes - they really help you to keep cool, but
there aren't that many on the market.

Incidentally - finding something to keep warm is not really the
problem - there are loads of things that are adequate for that - it's
finding something to keep you reasonably dry when it rains, whilst not
making you too hot, that is the difficult thing.

The Aldi jackets will probably be fine, although the claim to both
water*proof* and breathable should probably be taken with a pinch of
salt.

Paul Rudin said:
crees22 <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
> its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny
> that!
> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

Cycling jackets are sometimes longer in the body - which helps to keep
your bum dry when cycling. Also some reflective material is a good
feature for a cycling jacket. Personally I am a fan of jackets that
have zippable arm-pit holes - they really help you to keep cool, but
there aren't that many on the market.

Incidentally - finding something to keep warm is not really the
problem - there are loads of things that are adequate for that - it's
finding something to keep you reasonably dry when it rains, whilst not
making you too hot, that is the difficult thing.

The Aldi jackets will probably be fine, although the claim to both
water*proof* and breathable should probably be taken with a pinch of
salt.

Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

Ok, superb! thanx ppl, nice bit of advice. Might have a pop down to Aldi over the next few days see if they have them in stock.

crees22 wrote:

> Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

Ah, it can't do that without falling foul of the trades descriptions
act, so technically not true. However, one must be aware of what
"waterproof" means. It means that the fabric of the jacket, including
the seams, can withstand a certain hydrostatic head which is basically
more than you'll get in any rain. What it /doesn't/ necessarily mean is
that any "breathable" component will in any way move water vapour away
as fast as you vent it from your own pores or that said vapour won't
condense in your clothes first, and another way it can let water in is
through the holes at the ends of the arms, the hem and the neck from
where capillary action through your clothes can make everything good and
damp. The zip may or may not be adequately covered, bit the lighter and
cheaper the less likely that is.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:24:27 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>crees22 wrote:
>
>> Hehe, alot of stuff claims to be waterproof when it isnt.

If your out on the bike, and it pours with rain .. your gonna get
wet!! Unless your wearing a gas tight or divers suit.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:32:16 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>crees22 wrote:
>
>> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
>> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
>> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html

>Not much: cycle jacket more likely to have a rear pocket (I never use
>them, even on my uprights, so I don't care even though I have them)

WHAT?? You can't be a real cyclist then Pete ;-)

Mine is always full of bits .......... just in case. Wooly hat,
bananas, mince pies (its nearly Xmas) small water bottle (mouth
rinse), lip balm, bit of money for 'whenever', glasses, small pencil
and paper (gets a bit soggy), sweat band (for when I exced 8 mph)
...... and that's just in the middle pocket

>> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
>> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

>A thin windproof is fairly cheap and all you need. The actual warmth
>bit can come from putting a warm pullover(s) underneath it. Waterproofs
>are all very well when it's raining but when it isn't, unless it's
>/really/ cold, one does tend to sweat rather in them, and the fully
>waterproof breathable fabrics generally don't let out as much as people
>make, especially at the cheaper end of the market.

Agreed ...................... I just get wet and ride straight home !!

Ooh I could put a small windjacket in my rear jersey pocket ........
Hmm no room.

Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> WHAT?? You can't be a real cyclist then Pete ;-)

On the contrary, I'm just one who prefers leaning back on a comfy chair
to leaning on his arms ;-) Though that isn't too compatible with rear
pockets :-(
On the uprights, on the Brom I'll have a front pannier with pockets
right in front of me which is easier and on the 8 Freight you're really
just Not Thinking if you bother carrying on yourself rather than the bike!

> Agreed ...................... I just get wet and ride straight home !!

And a light windproof will keep the worst of the rain off, which is
actually of more significance than it sounds. Dries out fast too.

> Ooh I could put a small windjacket in my rear jersey pocket ........
> Hmm no room.

Maybe there is if you use Montane's lightest windshirt which comes in at
65g and the size of a small apple when packed. Good bit of kit!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Im looking to purchase a winter cycling jacket in the near future as
> its come to my attention that theres a lack of warmth in the air. Funny
> that!
> Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price
> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

Buy an Altura cycling coat for 50 ukp. They are brilliant - I won't go into
details; just go and inspect one.

I don't know exactly how you might turn 10 ukp into 50 ukp but a few hours
of paid work will generally do the trick.

The new one is screaming yellow, so it should be visible from 100m. Warmth
comes from an underlayer and lots of pedalling.

John

crees22 <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com
wrote:
>Ok, superb! thanx ppl, nice bit of advice. Might have a pop down to
>Aldi over the next few days see if they have them in stock.

Aldi doesn't work like that. Stuff arrives every Thursday, the vultures
descend, and by the following Thursday they aim to have sold almost
everything to make way for whatever next week's theme is. If you want much
chance of buying stuff from this week's offers, go immediately.

Incidentally next week's themes are bedding and tools; there's a tool case
that might be handy for storing bike bits and pieces.
--
The Irish are a fair people - they never speak well
of one another. - Samual Johnson

"crees22" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi,
> Snip

My Aldi have still got the cycling jackets and they are half price. Worth
looking out for. They were a brilliant buy even at full price.

Cliff

> > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price

> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.
>
> Cheers. Mr Chris
>

> --
> crees22

"Clifford Griffiths" <clifford.g@no luncheonmeatblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "crees22" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi,
>> Snip

> My Aldi have still got the cycling jackets and they are half price. Worth
> looking out for. They were a brilliant buy even at full price.
>
> Cliff
>
>> > Ive noticed Aldi have a running jacket marked up at a reasonable price

>> (£10) Is there any major differences between say a Cycling jacket and a
>> Running jacket? http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_4124.html
>> Got any other suggestions for a adequate Cycling jacket to keep me
>> warm? I dont want to spend big bucks as i have none.

A fiver?

I'm gutted. I paid a whole crisp tenner for mine.

Wonder if they've got any left in Tottenham...

--
Chris