Winter Cycling Shoes

Barrier GTX - Pearl Izumi

Not for use with road pedals, but I purchased the PI Barrier GTX for use last winter and they worked well. I use the PI Pro MTB in summer and the GTX is built on the same last, which keeps things simple - same interface, same basic fit, etc.

Sizing a winter shoe can be a lot of trial and error. How much insulation in the shoe? What thickness of sock do you want to wear? If you're moving between brands, size may not correlate to what you use in summer. Etc. Might take some time to find and dial in the fit you want.

I only rode a few times below 20 and my feet were plenty warm with a thin ski sock. I ended up selecting 1 full size larger (47) for the GTX winter shoe and put a SOLE moldable insert in to get the fit I wanted. The closure system is boa lacing so that helps snug things up for a comfortable fit. With the boa lacing, I could even wear a medium weight sock if I wanted. For reference, my summer shoe - size 46 (same last) - is so snug (width) that there's no room for a sock. The primary difference between the two PI shoes is that the GTX has a nylon/composite plate rather than the full carbon of the Pro MTB. Definitely more flex.

I had planned to do more winter cycling, but once November comes I'm skiing every weekend until May and weekdays are short on light. Was anticipating being able to use the GTXs comfortably in single digits or below zero, but didn't get the chance.

I have not used that brand but have some winter high top Shimanos. They do help a lot but do not completely eliminate cold feet. I use a size larger to allow a thick wool sock.

davereo said:
Came across these winter road shoes. The only problem with winter riding for me has been keeping my feet warm. Will these actually do the trick? Has anyone used these or similar shoes? Diadora Chili Extreme Road Shoe - Road Shoes
What temps are you hoping/planning to ride in?

FYI. Neoprene BOOTIES are good down to about 20ºF ... maybe, lower.

BTW. If you want to use Neoprene Booties with MTB shoes then you need to pretend your shoes are at least two sizes larger (e.g., 46 instead of 44) when sizing/ordering the Bootie so that the Bootie can fit over the lugged soles.

alfeng said:
What temps are you hoping/planning to ride in?

FYI. Neoprene BOOTIES are good down to about 20ºF ... maybe, lower.

BTW. If you want to use Neoprene Booties with MTB shoes then you need to pretend your shoes are at least two sizes larger (e.g., 46 instead of 44) when sizing/ordering the Bootie so that the Bootie can fit over the lugged soles.
20 degrees is cold enough I did a few rides below 20 last winter. I am using Addidas Clima-Therm booties (not quite sure if this is the exact nane) along with layered socks. They did a decent job of blocking the cold air but I was never able to ride for more than 45 minutes. My feet just never stayed warm enough to continue.

Cycling shoes are shoes for cycling in particular. There are different models depending on their intensity and shape intended.Size cycling are the main problems of women find the perfect cycling shoe, all the usual cycling shoes so manufacturers.Winter Louis Garneau Ergo Grip 0 to make riding boots in winter all the more worthwhile.

Cycling is a passion and a lifestyle for some, and the passion to drive does not disappear when the bad weather. The vast majority of cyclists hang up their horses when it gets cold enough for shorts are uncomfortable cool.If your bike can be equipped with clipless pedals, you can avoid change out for winter clips and straps.

My experience with booties haven't been good. Even with the minor walking I have to do as a part of my regular commute I find the booties taking a lot of punishment. Got myself a pair of Shimano high-tops instead, two sizes up from my regular size.

I use electrically heated insoles to fight the cold. Nice and toasty until the batteries packs it in.

I have used Louis Garneau Booties for many years. They have a treaded hard rubber sole which helps to protect the neoprene and makes them last well. I wear then at -20C or less in Canada with wind. The only thing I add is wool socks.

So the only way to truly know how comfy your feet will be is to actually try riding with different things at colder temps. My friend can't keep his feet warm no matter what once the temp drops below freezing.

Also you have to think about your hands. Once the temp drops low enough I need mittens.

Kind of nice to see that people are already thinking ahead. I'm going to try some goretex socks and some neoprene booties first. Hopefully i won't have to buy some real winter cycling boots. Even though Ive seen a few that interested me.

I usually wear quite a bit of ski specific gear I have on those winter rides.

Looking forward to some cooler weather now....

Chemical toe warmers are a great help, but don't work well with booties, as they are air-activated.

I have a pair of size 46 Sidi winter boots (my regular size is 45 wide), which I'm generally comfortable in wearing a liner sock, wool sock and toe-warmer. Get's me down to the mid-teens.

Unfortunately, no one makes a true WIDE winter boot, though Lake makes a boot that's labeled as such as is a bit wider than their standard (and very narrow) boot. Same thing goes as far as mountaineering boots are concernedthere are no wide ones . (Yes, Montrail does make a wide leather "mountaineering" boot, but it's nothing like a Koflach or Scarpa.)

Don't know how the folks up in Alaska do what they do (or say they do) as far as winter riding is concerned.

Sometimes if it gets really cold the best things is to get some decent platform pedals and a nice pair of warm boots. That's what I do eventually for winter commuting.