Winter cycling

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Michael Reyes, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Michael Reyes

Michael Reyes New Member

Is anyone actually doing any winter cycling this year. I live in scarborough and haven't dared trying to even mountain bike in the park nearby. I've seen one guy on a bike since fall. Is winter cycling common in toronto?

Michael

Tags:

2. wasted weasel

wasted weasel New Member

I'm still riding to work in this stuff (woodbine/danforth to Queen/university), but I haven't actually been going out on pleasure rides at all.
    Still running slick tires as well..I was thinking about studded tires, but money is tight now that christmas is over...
    Tons of people are still riding downtown, messengers and commuters, I see them every day.

3. *Alice

*Alice New Member

i see tons of cyclists on the streets in the winter.
    winter isn't that bad in toronto...there's barely any snow

4. Spin baby

Spin baby New Member

Lordy Weasel... lol
    You must like life on the edge.

5. bcwildthing

bcwildthing New Member

Here on the Wet Coast it has turned cooler, with temps from 32-45F for most days. Just did a 45 mile ride today, but didn't have my booties yet to wear on my shoes. Darn, my feet got cold after a few areas we passed through. Got a flat after 2km, but everyone waited.

6. Michael Reyes

Michael Reyes New Member

There's still on the ground but its getting warmer in toronto. I'm guessing in about two weeks the snow will be gone and better conditions for cycling here in toronto.

MR

7. wasted weasel

wasted weasel New Member

But with this warm weather came brutal smog...
    that reminds me, this weekend on the toronto island there will be an Ice Race (Feb. 12th).
    Studded tires if interested (if there's enough ice)

8. stokell

stokell New Member

I live in the Beaches neighbourhood and work at Markham Road and Milner. In the winter I keep beaters at the R/T and Woodbine stations. I've only lost 4 days so far this winter. Worst Winter days lost 14.

The secret to winter riding, IMO is to have the right equipment. Besides riding the correct bike, clothing is very important. I need to remain comfortable down to -33 (wind chill), and not sweat when I walk into the donut shop for a coffee.

I layer starting with polyester bikers underwear. I then add layers of manmade fibres and top off with a Gortex bikers jacket. During the really cold days I wear a balaclava and a shower cap on top of my helmet.

9. bcwildthing

bcwildthing New Member

Winter biking gets us down to -4C here in Victoria so it isn't so bad. I have the gloves and the jacket and some great MEC tights I use. However, the booties I just bought don't quite cut it in this weather. I'm looking for some windblocker type booties made from either stretch scholler stuff or a little heavier duty waterproof jobbies which will do for the cold. Anyone have any favorites?

10. Bikeophile

Bikeophile New Member

How bout the Toronto weather today!!! I was out in it all day today...although only a small part of it was cycling..it started off not too bad (-13) but the wind really picked up in the afternoon! OUCH!!Im a year round cyclist...on my fixie with slicks too...I actually find it good in most conditions...i have wide Bullhorn bars which helps with the stability of the bike...

In the process of building up a new SUMMER fixie....and keeping my current ride as a spare/winter fixie :)

11. stokell

stokell New Member

Because I commute from the Beaches to Scarborough (Scarberia) year round I did transit for the last two days. I'm biking tomorrow and I don't care how cold it is!
    http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/on-128_metric_e.html

I've lost seven work days this year to bad weather; I don't plan to make it 8.

12. Michael Reyes

Michael Reyes New Member

I went on a bike ride on Monday at morningside park. Very exciting biking on snow covered ground! I had a nice crash on a downhill going to the park, no helmet and lucky me the bike did not land on me. This is justs notice to every cyclists in toronto that the season is almosts here! I'm probably cycling to school starting this weekend or every chance I get.

Michael

13. woodchuck

woodchuck New Member

I have been doing some road riding and started back into mountain bike trail riding last week (I am mainly a mountain biker). I live in southern MN (used to live in Toronto so I hope it is OK to peek in on your thread) and we got 20 inches of snow last week. Needless to say, I am back on the road.

I bought studded tires this year and they are excellent. I would definitely recommend them. Basically the only times you slip are if you experience ice that is roughed up (e.g roughed up into slush and then refrozen) or if you experience glare ice on a very steep grade (I have only experienced this on a mountain bike trail).

14. littlefitzer

littlefitzer New Member

Hi All,

I moved over to Toronto from Ireland (so am not used to extrem winter conditions) at the start of spring this year, and was hoping you guys could advise me about winter cycling here.
    I cycle to work every day from Queens Quay to Eglinton and Don Mills. I use the Don bike trail (# 45 I think). I also go for training rides at weekend, with the plan to get back into racing over here next spring (I used to race at home about 8 years ago).

I have a load of questions about the winter here and training (and commuting) so I hope you might be able to help.

1) Do the bike trails stay clear of snow and ice? (especially #45).

2) If they are not clear is it still possible to commute to work? I hate public transit. Maybe a beater with studded tyres? Anyone else do this? I read one of the thread here where someone said they only missed 5 days of cycling last winter....I would like to emulate that.

3) When it gets real cold, what is the best way to stay warm on bike? Obviously I need overshoes, layers etc....but can anyone supply specifics on what I might need (how many layers, what materials etc.)

4) Do any clubs keep up with their training rides? or does everyone stay indoor on rollers, swimming, running etc?

5) If rollers will be a necessity this winter, what is the best training I can do on them to get the most out of the time I spend on them?

Thanks very much. Thats all....I think.

Any help would be great,
    Thanks,
    Scott.

15. Bikeophile

Bikeophile New Member

Hey Scott,

That is almost the exact commute I did for over 5 years. (I am at the bottom of Yonge Street and commuted to Celestica (At Don Mills and Eglinton).

To answer your questions:

1. NO they do not clear the trails AT ALL. Once the snow comes, its over.

2. I commute year round, and like I said, almost the exact same you have. So yes it is definitely possible. I did it on a track bike with 700Cx23 tires...no studs needed, although wider tires might be ok.

An EASY route with no hills (and shortest route) is.
    -Yonge Street to Bloor St.
    -Bloor Street East to Broadview.
    -Broadview North (it curves around as O'Conner) to Pape
    -Pape North to the Millwood Bridge
    -Left on the Millwood Bridge to Overlea
    -Right on Overlea to Don Mills
    -Left on Don Mills to Eglinton

The only problem with this route is it can get a little slushy.

An Alternate is Take Yonge North right to Eglinton and then across Eglinton to Don Mills.

This route is much less messy (the subway under Yonge keeps the snow off it) although Eglinton can get messy at times).

I don't mind riding either route.

-I typically wear my cycling shorts with either long tights, or when it gets REALLY cold, my Gortex Pants.

- I wear a dryfit shirt, another long sleeve shirt (thickness depends on the temp) and a Gortex Jacket (non lined)

-I wear 2 pairs of socks and nylon overshoes (from MEC)

-I wear either Mitts or Lobster Gloves, 5 finger gloves are not warm enough for me once it gets colder than -10.

-I wear a thin toque under my helmet.

- Also an important part of my winter wear is a Dickie (you know those big neck warmers), you can pull it up fairly high.

If you want to talk about routes more feel free to email me.
    [email protected]

Chers
    Rob

16. Bikeophile

Bikeophile New Member

4. The Donut ride continues year round. They meet on Saturdays and Sundays at 9am (Laird and Eglinton) and ride 100km at quite an fast pace.

I am not sure about other groups. As far as will you NEED rollers, the answer is no. BUT that being said, long training rides can get pretty messy and uncomfortable with the weather.

Rollers, Mag and Fluid Trainers are great (as are spinning classes) for winter training.

If you want to do swimming, there are community centres with very cheap swmming available. For your area, I believe the St. Lawrence Community Centre is the closest. (East end of the Esplanade).

Cheers
    RoB