Winter Cycling

xue

Sep 6, 2003
Hello MTB cyclists,

My name is Xue (pronounced like "Sue") and I am currently researching about "Winter Cycling" under the title 'Urban Winter Sports and Recreational Activities'. This is for my 4th year industrial design major project.

I need to find external experts and ask questions to those who do winter cycle; about their clothing, equipment, experiences and what kinds of problems they have with winter cycling.

If anyone who winter cycles is interested, please respond to this message.

Xue

Originally posted by xue
Hello MTB cyclists,

My name is Xue (pronounced like "Sue") and I am currently researching about "Winter Cycling" under the title 'Urban Winter Sports and Recreational Activities'. This is for my 4th year industrial design major project.

I need to find external experts and ask questions to those who do winter cycle; about their clothing, equipment, experiences and what kinds of problems they have with winter cycling.

Xue

I do quite a bit of winter cycling in colorado, simply because i hate riding a trainer, its not bad a long as you invest in the proper equipment, comfort is a nessesity when its really cold and wet.

I ride year around in Wisconsin. What are your questions? It looked like you were asking mountain bike riders. I do use mountain bike when the snow gets heavy but ride road bike more or hybrid. Does that matter?

Originally posted by ajcoles
I ride year around in Wisconsin. What are your questions? It looked like you were asking mountain bike riders. I do use mountain bike when the snow gets heavy but ride road bike more or hybrid. Does that matter?

aj

tell me all you know. i'm from minnesota.

graison

Originally posted by flyinghatchet
aj

tell me all you know. i'm from minnesota.

graison

The big thing is keeping your hands and feet warm, neoprene booties for your feet work great, i like the pearl izumi winter gloves, i like wearing a bike hat under my helmet, helps keep some wind off your face, and they make some ear muffs that slide over your helmet straps,great for keeping those ears warm. If you have the $$, buy a gore-tex cycling outfit, wind proof, waterproof and it allows miosture to vent out.
Road bike,i will put like a continetal grand prix 3000 tire , anything with some tread.
Alot of our mountain biking trails are under alot of snow from dec-march , but they work great for snowshoeing.
let me know what else you want to know

Originally posted by xue
Hello MTB cyclists,

Xue

I winter bike. You can find good info on that subject at icebike.com.

Hi Xue,
If you are researching winter cycling. You should look to the Canadian Cycling Forum. That is where real winter cycling takes place... not California.

Originally posted by xue
Hello MTB cyclists,

Xue

Well I dont know about you guys but here in the winter (Liverpool, England) it gets to about -5 celcius. When its that cold you get ice freezing onto your clothes in the fog which is bizarre. If you keep up a good pace then you stay quite warm but, maybe the gentlemen can confirm, you become less of a man for a while!

I love it when its frosty. Its the only time when you have sufficient power to properly spin up the rear wheel in corners. In the wet you can get a bit of oversteer but the ice is much more fun. I use Michelin Pro Race tyres on the front and some nice baldy Continental 1000 training tyres on the rear. Good stuff.