winter gear

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donovan Rebbechi, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Winter's coming, time to pick up some gear if you don't have it yet.

    Winter gear has been discussed to death before, and some of the discussion
    has been summarised and linked to here:
    http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/winter_reviews/

    Having made it through a winter, my take on winter essentials is:
    (1) I like windproof soft shell clothing. Especially clothes with a windproof
    front and a breathable polyester back. This type of garment protects you from
    the wind, but breathes much better than a jacket. Because running jackets are
    designed to be waterproof, they don't breathe all that well, even with pit
    zips, mesh, back vents and all that.

    (2) Despite not liking running jackets that much, one thing they have going
    for them is visibility. They are very reflective, and if you get one in a
    bright color, you will be visible from a great distance.

    (3) socks: nothing beats wool on cold, wet days. Forget about keeping your
    feet dry when it's wet out. It's not going to happen. Instead, wear something
    that stays warm when it gets wet. Like wool.

    (4) pants: pants are nice and comfortable, but tights are a must when you have
    cold rain. Though the sporthill 3sp pants may be an exception (polypro, so
    they won't hold any water)

    (5) gloves and mitts: mitts give you better insulation. And you'll need it on
    cold days. I put on gloves below 50, and by the time it's 30 or less, I need
    really warm gloves. There are only two brands I know of that make running
    mitts-- sugoi and sporthill. The sugoi ones are available cheaply now. Several
    brands make ski mitts, some of these are OK, but most are way too bulky.

    (6) wind briefs/boxers: The difference between a "wind brief" and any other
    brief is that the wind brief has a small patch of material similar to that
    used on windshells over the fly. Besides that, it's basically an ordinary
    brief. But that little patch is important, and on windy days, you (if you're
    a guy) will really appreciate that little patch. I have sugoi and hind boxers/
    briefs, both are good. I highly recommend these for guys. They're not available
    cheaply now. REI have some less expensive windbrief, don't know if these are
    any good.

    Having said all of this, here is a bunch of stuff I've found on the net while
    looking around for winter clothes:

    Some picks in different categories:

    Rain Jackets
    -------------------
    Pearl izumi flash jacket, REI. This one is a polyester shell
    with large reflective patches. Has a back vent and pockets. On rei-outlet
    for $42

    Sugoi Bosui vapor jacket: top of the line from Sugoi. On rei-outlet, mens
    and womens $57

    Sugoi Pro jacket: cheap jacket from sugoi, $22 on rei-outlet

    Marmot precip jacket: popular rain jacket from a brand that makes top notch
    hiking/ski gear. This should nearly always available on ebay, it's a "classic".

    ebay: lots of jackets here, look around.

    footlocker: ditto. Search for clearance running clothing

    Windproof clothing
    -------------------
    Sugoi windhibitor midlayer (womens): windproof front (densely woven soft shell
    fabric), highly breathable polyester back. $50 at coloradocyclist.com. Mens
    version is $75 at holabirdsports.com (or get the womens 1 size up)

    Sugoi windhibitor evaporator jacket: jacket similar to the midlayer: windproof
    front, soft breathable poly back. greggscycle.com, $70.

    Sporthill catalyst top: windpro fleece top. $54- on rei-outlet

    Sporthill windshield hacket: soft shell jacket. $80 on rei-outlet

    rei lightweight cross country ski jacket: soft shell jacket with windproof
    front and poly panels on the back. $47 on rei-outlet

    sporthill windshield pants: no-one (or almost no-one) really needs windproof
    pants IMO, but you can get them on rei-outlet.

    ebay: sometimes has sugoi windhibitor clothing, mountain hardwear (windproof
    tops called "transition tee"), and marmot's light windproof top ("evolution")

    Marmot sharp point jacket, marmot gravity jacket: Just threw these in for the
    hell of it. Very warm soft shell jackets, which can often be found on ebay.
    Will probably be too warm for most people.

    Gloves:
    -------
    smartwool glove liners $8 rei-outlet
    hind gloves: performancebike.com
    sugoi micratherm wind mitt: $15 performancebike.com

    Tops:

    sporthill infuzion top. This is a warm poly top with a zip neck. Mens and
    womens. $40 rei-outlet
    sporthill tempo top. Light nylon top. Mens and womens. $28 rei-outlet
    hinddrylete top: light poly/nylon top with zip neck. womens: $22, rei-outlet.
    hind tops are also available at footlocker.com (mens,womens) and campmor.com
    (womens)
    insport: a bunch of stuff at insport.com (under "sale") and rei-outlet.com.
    For example, the vapor fleece top is a very warm poly fleece top.
    duofold: low cost wicking base layer gear. campmor.com.

    Pants and tights:

    Hind on campmor,
    insport (several choices) rei-outlet.com
    pearl izumi: womens on rei-outlet.com
    hind: munich pants on campmor.com

    Socks:

    smartwool: RBX racer socks, RBX ultra cushion socks, RBX micro mini socks
    $8 rei-outlet.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Tags:

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks Donovan, indeed, good winter gear makes all the difference. I'm
    interested in this:

    >Sugoi windhibitor evaporator jacket: jacket similar to the midlayer:

    windproof
    >front, soft breathable poly back. greggscycle.com, $70.

    It's http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-1254.htm without the 's'
    it's some sponsored link search thing. Is Sugoi the only company making
    this kind of front-block back-vent top? Thanks.

    -Tony

    ps. Windboxers do seem hard to find. I got some Asics ones at
    roadrunnersports.com @ $27. Dunno how they are yet...

  3. On 2004-10-28, Tony <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Thanks Donovan, indeed, good winter gear makes all the difference. I'm
    > interested in this:
    >
    >>Sugoi windhibitor evaporator jacket: jacket similar to the midlayer:
    >>windproof front, soft breathable poly back. greggscycle.com, $70.

    > It's http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-1254.htm without the 's'
    > it's some sponsored link search thing. Is Sugoi the only company making
    > this kind of front-block back-vent top? Thanks.

    First, thanks for the correction.

    About your question --

    There are three brands I've seen that have used the windproof front/breathable
    polyester back design:

    Sugoi (windhibitor midlayer/evaporator top)
    Sporthill (the explorer top, see REI)

    and the REI lightweight cross country ski jacket.

    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...arent_category_rn=22000386&vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH

    http://tinyurl.com/4qu68

    > ps. Windboxers do seem hard to find. I got some Asics ones at
    > roadrunnersports.com @ $27. Dunno how they are yet...

    Sugoi:
    http://revelsports.com/Sugoi/19010U.htm

    Sporthill:
    http://milemarkersports.com/product.php?TypeID=0830&gender=m

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. Ramone Cila

    Ramone Cila Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > (5) gloves and mitts: mitts give you better insulation. And you'll need it

    on
    > cold days. I put on gloves below 50, and by the time it's 30 or less, I

    need
    > really warm gloves.

    I have some basic standards (they change with precipitation levels):
    40 and above:
    shorts and sleeveless thin dri-fit (or similar)

    30 to 40:
    shorts, long-sleeved thin dri-fit

    20 to 30:
    shorts, sleeveless thin dri-fit and long-sleeved thin dri-fit over top

    10 to 20:
    pants, any wicking variety works for me (I never wear tights), sleeveless
    thin dri-fit, running pullover/jacket, gloves (the miniature stretch wool
    gloves you get for $ 1.99 at K-Mart)

    10 and below:
    same as above with skull cap and additional layer beneath pullover/jacket

    I don't even get too scientific or particular about the products I wear, I
    am more concerned with rubbing and chaffing than I am warmth. Regardless of
    the weather I am cold for the first mile or so and sweating hot 3 miles into
    my run. I'd much rather suffer a mile or two of cold than 5 or 6 miles of
    overheating. As I look around at my fellow runners here in Colorado I don't
    see many at all who are significantly different from me in their choice of
    attire for running in respective temperature ranges.

  5. On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:02:45 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Winter's coming, time to pick up some gear if you don't have it yet.
    >
    >Winter gear has been discussed to death before, and some of the discussion
    >has been summarised and linked to here:
    >http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/winter_reviews/
    >
    >Having made it through a winter, my take on winter essentials is:
    >(1) I like windproof soft shell clothing. Especially clothes with a windproof
    >front and a breathable polyester back. This type of garment protects you from
    >the wind, but breathes much better than a jacket. Because running jackets are
    >designed to be waterproof, they don't breathe all that well, even with pit
    >zips, mesh, back vents and all that.

    <SNIP>
    >Cheers,

    Holy Shit dude, you shop more than my wife!

    M.T.

  6. On 2004-10-29, [email protected] World.net <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:02:45 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Winter's coming, time to pick up some gear if you don't have it yet.
    >>
    >>Winter gear has been discussed to death before, and some of the discussion
    >>has been summarised and linked to here:
    >>http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/winter_reviews/
    >>
    >>Having made it through a winter, my take on winter essentials is:
    >>(1) I like windproof soft shell clothing. Especially clothes with a windproof
    >>front and a breathable polyester back. This type of garment protects you from
    >>the wind, but breathes much better than a jacket. Because running jackets are
    >>designed to be waterproof, they don't breathe all that well, even with pit
    >>zips, mesh, back vents and all that.
    >>

    ><SNIP>
    >>Cheers,

    > Holy Shit dude, you shop more than my wife!

    Not only that, I probably own more shoes than her (-;

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  7. Bethowmuch

    Bethowmuch Guest

    Keep it simple.

    G O R E - T E X

    It works

  8. Betrayed One

    Betrayed One Guest

    << Keep it simple.

    G O R E - T E X

    It works

    Gore Tex

    HAHA!

    Gore lost,
    Tex cheated!

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  9. Betrayed One

    Betrayed One Guest

    << Keep it simple.

    G O R E - T E X

    It works

    Gore Tex

    HAHA!

    Gore lost,
    Tex cheated!

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  10. That seems like a lot of work....just to end up looking like a circus
    clown.

  11. Betrayed One

    Betrayed One Guest

    [High Con]
    << That seems like a lot of work....just to end up looking like a circus
    clown. >>

    Yes ~
    Horny Hounds
    Primp,