Winter Gloves. Kona are rubbish.

spindrift

Guest
I mean the gloves are probably fine for MTBing but FREEZING for the
commute.

The Thinsulate gloves are good but woollen gloves are a bit slippy on
the handlebars.

Is there a happy medium?

spindrift said the following on 21/11/2006 09:13:
> I mean the gloves are probably fine for MTBing but FREEZING for the
> commute.
>
> The Thinsulate gloves are good but woollen gloves are a bit slippy on
> the handlebars.
>
> Is there a happy medium?

Not that it's cold enough yet, but when it is I use woollen liner
gloves, with Thinsulate "ski" gloves. At the moment the ski gloves on
their own are fine.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"spindrift" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there a happy medium?

I got some Sealskinz for my birthday -- no real test yet as it hasn't been
that cold. They seem warm enough, with padding in the right places, and they
have a snot-wiper, which I consider an essential feature of any cycling
glove.

Paul Boyd wrote:
> Not that it's cold enough yet, but when it is I use woollen liner
> gloves, with Thinsulate "ski" gloves. At the moment the ski gloves on
> their own are fine.

Same as with other clothing, layering is good. You wouldn't expect a
jacket on its own to be ideal for all conditions. Thin liners and
thick fleece or thinsulate gloves can each be used on their own or in
combination. The evening journey home is often 5 degrees warmer than
the morning commute so its good to be able to leave a layer off.
I've just got some waterproof overmitts too for serious wetness, but
not tried them yet.

news.aaisp.net.uk wrote:

> I got some Sealskinz for my birthday -- no real test yet as it hasn't been
> that cold. They seem warm enough, with padding in the right places, and they
> have a snot-wiper, which I consider an essential feature of any cycling
> glove.

Point to note is they come in various flavours these days, some warmer
than others. Also, several in the range are now activity specific.
More bumf at http://www.sealskinz.com/

I had some of the original thin ones and was quite chuffed with them,
though they weren't warm enough for all through the winter. Very good
dexterity though. I will replace them when Tisos have some of the right
sort on a club discount night in my size...

If they cost more than you want to spend there's always the marigolds
over liner gloves option.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Point to note is they come in various flavours these days, some warmer
> than others. Also, several in the range are now activity specific.

I believe I have their 'Winter Glove' though it's hard to tell from the
pics.

POHB wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > Not that it's cold enough yet, but when it is I use woollen liner
> > gloves, with Thinsulate "ski" gloves. At the moment the ski gloves on
> > their own are fine.

> Same as with other clothing, layering is good. You wouldn't expect a
> jacket on its own to be ideal for all conditions. Thin liners and
> thick fleece or thinsulate gloves can each be used on their own or in
> combination. The evening journey home is often 5 degrees warmer than
> the morning commute so its good to be able to leave a layer off.
> I've just got some waterproof overmitts too for serious wetness, but
> not tried them yet.

Yes ski glove liners - only 2 or 3 quid a pair. If it's really cold 2
pairs. Comfortable - loose and stretchy

cheers
Jacob

As others have said, two pairs work best. I've got some thin
Specialized cycling gloves which are nice and light, not too clumsy -
bugger all use when it gets cold though. Then the Mountain Equipment
Ski gloves come out and go over the top - they're rated to minus
40-50degc or something daft like that, haven't felt the cold yet..

Just remember to buy the outer gloves a size too big, they need to be
loose on their own, to accommodate the pair underneath.

Haven't found a good solution for keeping the toes from freezing yet
:-(

spindrift wrote:
> I mean the gloves are probably fine for MTBing but FREEZING for the
> commute.
>
> The Thinsulate gloves are good but woollen gloves are a bit slippy on
> the handlebars.
>
> Is there a happy medium?

Only found one manufacturer that make winter boot for clipless pedals,
the icebike lot swear by them, but they're a bit pricey. Was hoping a
combination of woolly socks and over-boots would work okay - but
they've not been great so far.

http://thebikelane.com/page.cfm?PageID=197&action=details&sku=SH0338

Regards,

Duncan.

On Nov 22, 1:58 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:<snip>> Haven't found a good solution for keeping the toes from freezing yet
> > :-(What's wrong with winter boots?

In news:[email protected],
Duncan Smith <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> Only found one manufacturer that make winter boot for clipless pedals,
> the icebike lot swear by them, but they're a bit pricey. Was hoping
> a combination of woolly socks and over-boots would work okay - but
> they've not been great so far.

Depends on how cold "cold" is, but I've recently bought a pair of Northwave
Fahrenheits, which have been OK at keeping the toes toasty so far this
autumn. The Fahrenheit is the Look-compatible version, but there's another
one for pedals with 2-bolt cleat fixing, the name of which ICBA to look for.

--
Dave Larrington
Ernesto, give me that Kit-Kat, or I will kill you.

In article <[email protected]>
Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:
> Rob Morley said the following on 22/11/2006 01:58:
>
> > What's wrong with winter boots?

> With SPDs? :)

Absolutely. There are several manufacturers (Lake, Answer, Shimano,
Gaerne, Northwave, maybe others) who make waterproof/thermal boots for
SPD. They tend to be chunky off-road jobbies (including optional toe
studs for getting up slippery slopes) but there are some road style ones
too.

On 22/11/2006 11:04, Rob Morley said,

> Absolutely. There are several manufacturers (Lake, Answer, Shimano,
> Gaerne, Northwave, maybe others) who make waterproof/thermal boots for
> SPD. They tend to be chunky off-road jobbies (including optional toe
> studs for getting up slippery slopes) but there are some road style ones
> too.

Ah - I thought I was joking! Might be worth a look for the cold
mornings. Thanks for the info.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/