Winter gloves suitable for biking?

rms

Guest
I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)

rms

"rms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)
>
> rms

You can find something that works for you at Performance, Nashbar, or Price
Point, I'm sure. I have a pair of Performance winter gloves that work just
fine.

> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)

Check out the Descente Wombat. I've been very impressed with it; waterproof,
windproof, and flexible enough that I can take photos without taking the
gloves off. It's also got a little elastic piece that pulls out and
stretches over the four fingers, for added warmth. Not too expensive at $45.
I did note that they're a bit much if it gets very warm (about 55 or so).
Even though breathable, you still get a sauna effect as it warms up.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"rms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)
>
> rms

"rms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)
>
> rms

I bought a pair of gloves at Wal-Mart a long time ago, and they work fine
for me.
The gloves have a thin leather top and bottom, with a knit layer in between.
The palm area leather is more thick than the rest.
Anyway, no problems at all.
A little while ago I acquired a pair of gloves from Cosco that are really
good for when it is around freezing and or cold and wet. These gloves work
too good for warmer temps but are great when cold. They have some sort of a
smart micro fiber that helps keeps the hands warm and dry.

I went to an Army/Navy store and bought some silk glove liners for about $2
apiece. I put them on and then put my regular cycling (short) gloves over
them. The silk is wonderful for cutting out the cold wind, and it keeps your
fingers warm, too. Another plus is that you retain sensitivity in your
finger tips instead of feeling like you've gotten your fingers in a hot dog
bun (like with long-fingered winter gloves).

Pat in TX

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Check out the Descente Wombat. I've been very impressed with it; waterproof,
> windproof, and flexible enough that I can take photos without taking the
> gloves off. It's also got a little elastic piece that pulls out and
> stretches over the four fingers, for added warmth. Not too expensive at $45.
> I did note that they're a bit much if it gets very warm (about 55 or so).
> Even though breathable, you still get a sauna effect as it warms up.

55°F is short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather!

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Check out the Descente Wombat. I've been very impressed with it;
> waterproof,
> windproof, and flexible enough that I can take photos without taking the
> gloves off. It's also got a little elastic piece that pulls out and
> stretches over the four fingers, for added warmth. Not too expensive at
> $45.
> I did note that they're a bit much if it gets very warm (about 55 or so).
> Even though breathable, you still get a sauna effect as it warms up.

55°F is short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather!

More like arm and knee warmers weather.

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> 55°F is short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather!
>

> More like arm and knee warmers weather.

If it is 55 degrees like it was yesterday, it was rain poncho weather. You
can wear knee warmers or just your shorts, it doesn't matter -- either way
your legs will get wet.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Gooserider wrote:
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> > Check out the Descente Wombat. I've been very impressed with it;
>> > waterproof,
>> > windproof, and flexible enough that I can take photos without taking the
>> > gloves off. It's also got a little elastic piece that pulls out and
>> > stretches over the four fingers, for added warmth. Not too expensive at
>> > $45.
>> > I did note that they're a bit much if it gets very warm (about 55 or so).
>> > Even though breathable, you still get a sauna effect as it warms up.

>> 55°F is short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather!
>>

> More like arm and knee warmers weather.

You can always put on more clothing, but there are practical and
ultimate limits to how much you can take off. Cold is better.

P.S. Your quoting appears broken.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

I guess it depends on where you live. I paid $30 at Simon's Bikes for
quality gloves that got stolen. At a flea market I picked up some plain
thick leather gloves, no lining, for $5 that stave off the cold and water
just fine. Rarely gets below 0 Cel. here. Make sure it has wrist straps or
maybe covers the wrist. Viola.

nash wrote:
> I guess it depends on where you live. I paid $30 at Simon's Bikes for
> quality gloves that got stolen. At a flea market I picked up some plain
> thick leather gloves, no lining, for $5 that stave off the cold and water
> just fine. Rarely gets below 0 Cel. here. Make sure it has wrist straps or
> maybe covers the wrist. Viola.

Violoncello.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

>> maybe covers the wrist. Viola.

> Violoncello.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Did I spell that wrong.. hmmm

rms wrote:
> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)

Get the outdoor research. No comparison, no kidding. (I admit that I
have not yet tried the Louie Garnoo windstoppers.) Performance brand
gloves SUCK. Their neoprene models let cold air pour in and the
stitching falls apart after two days. Their windstopper models hold
the windstopping stuff so close to your skin that it sucks heat out of
you, and also you cannot get them on with wet fingers, and also -- the
stitching falls apart after two days.

These babies are in a class by themselves. Box-shaped finger ends and
a built-in curve make them fit so well that I will probably throw down
another $40 to stockpile a pair even before I lose or wear out my
current pair.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19134

-dkl

> Get the outdoor research. No comparison, no kidding.
> http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19134

dammit. i couldn't wait and got the descente wombats. their XL size is
too damn small across the knuckles, they are not pre-curved, and feel like
chainmail gloves they are so thick, especially in the palm. I'm quite
annoyed with them; the deployable fingermitt is the one redeeming feature,
but that is in fact the cause of the gloves not fitting when stowed. Very
annoying. I may order these OR gloves just to make the creditcard gods
angry.

rms

On 5 Nov 2006 12:49:36 -0800, "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gooserider wrote:
>> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> 55°F is short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather!
>>>

>> More like arm and knee warmers weather.

>You can always put on more clothing, but there are practical and
>ultimate limits to how much you can take off. Cold is better.

I have to disagree. Well, I mean, I can't disagree that you can always
put on more clothes and that there is a limit to what you can take
off. That is pretty well true.

I'll still take hot over cold. Hot never seems to bother me much once
I'm moving. My fingers, toes, and nose never like the really cold
days. I tried out my Hotronic foot warmers the other day when it
dropped near freezing, and it was ok. Still, I'm a summer kind of guy.

rms wrote:
> I'm looking for decent gloves to keep my fingers warm, in particular for
> biking. I'm in a warm climate (SW) that rarely gets below freezing, so
> windchill protection is probably the biggest issue. They should be fairly
> thin but have good wear and water resistance properties. The fingers
> shouldn't slide around inside, or have overly sticky rubber-coating on the
> outside. Thx for any suggestions! (L/XL)

Gloves are one area where you really don't need a "bike specific"
product. I've had good look with discount stores like T. J. Maxx. They
often have a large table full of various gloves at prices around $10 or
less.

For temperatures above freezing, I find some gloves are too warm,
resulting in sweaty hands. My favorite gloves for 35 to 50F are woven
fabric (wool?) with leather palms and finger bottoms (for good grip).
I also like a glove that comes above the sleeve of my jersey or jacket
to keep wind off my wrists.

Art Harris

In article <[email protected]>,
dgk <[email protected]> wrote:

SNIP

> I'll still take hot over cold. Hot never seems to bother me much once
> I'm moving. My fingers, toes, and nose never like the really cold
> days. I tried out my Hotronic foot warmers the other day when it
> dropped near freezing, and it was ok. Still, I'm a summer kind of guy.

I am with you! Hot is much better.

Its also good training for where I am going after I die....:)

HAND