Winter Gloves

Jim

Guest
No doubt a regulary asked question...

Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.

Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
bulky for what I'm after.

Thanks

Jim

http://jimpix.co.uk/

Jim wrote:
> Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
> cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.
>
> Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
> thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
> bulky for what I'm after.

I'm currently using Pearl Izumi AmFIB gloves (£41.99 from Wiggle) with
silk inner gloves underneath:
<url:http://www.patra.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=180&C1=&C2=&C3=>

If you're prone to cold hands then I'd recommend the AmFIB Lobster
gloves (also £41.99 from Wiggle) rather than the AmFIB not-Lobster
gloves. I've had chilly fingers the last couple of mornings, but I
couldn't find Lobsters anywhere when my last pair needed replacing :-(

I'd post links to the gloves on Wiggle, but it generally seems pointless
posting direct links to Wiggle products. GIYF.

> I'm currently using Pearl Izumi AmFIB gloves (£41.99 from Wiggle) with
> silk inner gloves underneath:
> <url:http://www.patra.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=180&C1=&C2=&C3=>
>
> If you're prone to cold hands then I'd recommend the AmFIB Lobster
> gloves (also £41.99 from Wiggle) rather than the AmFIB not-Lobster
> gloves. I've had chilly fingers the last couple of mornings, but I
> couldn't find Lobsters anywhere when my last pair needed replacing :-(
>
> I'd post links to the gloves on Wiggle, but it generally seems pointless
> posting direct links to Wiggle products. GIYF.

Thanks Danny!

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No doubt a regulary asked question...
>
> Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
> cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.
>
> Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
> thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
> bulky for what I'm after.

Ski gloves are, as hinted, too bulky for cycling. The palm is often
over-padded, the fingers are too stiff, making control difficult.
Not really recommended.

Peter

In article <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer wrote:

>If you're prone to cold hands then I'd recommend the AmFIB Lobster
>gloves (also £41.99 from Wiggle)

The good news is they are down to 26.99 now - the bad news is that
all sizes are marked "Discontinued - no longer available".
Assuming you mean these ones :
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360014289

>I'd post links to the gloves on Wiggle, but it generally seems pointless
>posting direct links to Wiggle products.

Why?

Danny Colyer wrote on 09/02/2007 21:20 +0100:

> I'm currently using Pearl Izumi AmFIB gloves (£41.99 from Wiggle) with
> silk inner gloves underneath:
> <url:http://www.patra.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=180&C1=&C2=&C3=>
>
> If you're prone to cold hands then I'd recommend the AmFIB Lobster
> gloves (also £41.99 from Wiggle) rather than the AmFIB not-Lobster
> gloves. I've had chilly fingers the last couple of mornings, but I
> couldn't find Lobsters anywhere when my last pair needed replacing :-(

Seconded.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Alan Braggins wrote on 09/02/2007 22:39 +0100:

> The good news is they are down to 26.99 now - the bad news is that
> all sizes are marked "Discontinued - no longer available". Assuming
> you mean these ones :
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360014289

All but the XXL come up as in stock on my browser.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"pppeterrr" <[email protected]>typed

> "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No doubt a regulary asked question...
> >
> > Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
> > cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.
> >
> > Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
> > thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
> > bulky for what I'm after.
> >

> Ski gloves are, as hinted, too bulky for cycling. The palm is often
> over-padded, the fingers are too stiff, making control difficult.
> Not really recommended.

> Peter

Marks & Spencer Hi-Loft gloves were £10 when I bought them for my partner.
They are water resistant and soft. The padding compresses well so they
aren't too thick. They came with their own litlle pouch.
The outer fabric is quite thin and doesn't last forever but won't break
the bank either.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

I wrote:
>>I'd post links to the gloves on Wiggle, but it generally seems pointless
>>posting direct links to Wiggle products.

and Alan Braggins responded:
> Why?

Whenever I've tried pasting a Wiggle URL in the past, or whenever I've
seen anyone else do it (which has happened a fair few times here), it's
always ended up taking anyone who follows it to a completely different
product.

Perhaps they've improved the way their site works, to allow direct
linking. Still, let's try the link I found when I found the gloves at
Wiggle via a FWSE search:
<url:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=Manufacturer.aspx&W=0&Cat=cycle&Manufacturer=Pearl%20Izumi&CategoryName=Gloves%20-%20Winter>

>> The good news is they are down to 26.99 now - the bad news is that
>> all sizes are marked "Discontinued - no longer available". Assuming
>> you mean these ones :
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360014289

> All but the XXL come up as in stock on my browser.

Lucky bugger. None of any size in stock on my browsers[1]. What is this
amazing browser of yours? - I want one.

[1] Firefox, Opera, IE7

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Whenever I've tried pasting a Wiggle URL in the past, or whenever I've
> seen anyone else do it (which has happened a fair few times here), it's
> always ended up taking anyone who follows it to a completely different
> product.

In Firefox, right click on the frame containing the product, and select This
Frame -> Show only this Frame. Then cut and paste the link.

(no idea how to do this in other browsers)

Anthony

Anthony Jones wrote:
> In Firefox, right click on the frame containing the product, and select This
> Frame -> Show only this Frame. Then cut and paste the link.

Handy, thanks.

> (no idea how to do this in other browsers)

That's OK, I don't need to know how to do it in other browsers.

"Anthony Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Danny Colyer wrote:
>> Whenever I've tried pasting a Wiggle URL in the past, or whenever I've
>> seen anyone else do it (which has happened a fair few times here), it's
>> always ended up taking anyone who follows it to a completely different
>> product.

> In Firefox, right click on the frame containing the product, and select
> This
> Frame -> Show only this Frame. Then cut and paste the link.
>
> (no idea how to do this in other browsers)

I just open the product link in a new window, and paste that one.

cheers,
clive

In article <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com says...
> >> The good news is they are down to 26.99 now - the bad news is that
> >> all sizes are marked "Discontinued - no longer available". Assuming
> >> you mean these ones :
> >> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360014289

> > All but the XXL come up as in stock on my browser.

> Lucky bugger. None of any size in stock on my browsers[1]. What is this
> amazing browser of yours? - I want one.
>
> [1] Firefox, Opera, IE7

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026357

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> In Firefox, right click on the frame containing the product, and
>> select This Frame -> Show only this Frame. Then cut and paste the
>> link.

> Handy, thanks.

In most browsers, right click the frame containing the product, then choose
the option to give the URL of the contents of that frame, which you can cut
and paste.

Under Windows:
IE: right-click, choose Properties, cut&paste
Firefox: right-click, point to This Frame, choose View Frame Info,
cut&paste
Opera: right-click, point to Frame, choose Copy Address

Under Linux:
Konqueror: right-click, point to Frame, choose View Frame Information,
cut&paste
Firefox: right-click, point to This Frame, choose View Frame Info,
cut&paste

HTH

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No doubt a regulary asked question...
>
> Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
> cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.
>
> Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
> thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
> bulky for what I'm after.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>
> http://jimpix.co.uk/

I bought a pair of ski gloves last winter with a similar idea but never
used them.

The other evening I was giving a small presentation on cycle camping in
Europe. With very cold temperatures forecast and the probability of snow
rising. I multi layered and wore "longs" for only the 2nd time this winter
and decided to give the ski gloves a try.

They were a bit bulky but I had no problem with my hands operating controls.
I also took two pairs of my standard gloves ( bought in Aldi on their last
sale which I find warm but not sweat making) in my bar bag "just in case".

Well it didn't snow or rain that night but at 23:00 it was bl**dy cold on my
10 mile ride home ( -7C when I got home). My hands were warm and I found no
finger chill or loss of feeling but by the time I got home the gloves were
distinctly wet inside and would have been uncomfortable to put on again. I
will say that the layering of the rest of me worked very well and my body
sweat had minimum effect of my clothes. In fact the only problem there was
stripping down quickly enough on arrival in a very warm hall.

Another point against the ski gloves was that mine don't have the "snot
wiper" fleecy strip on the thumb and forefinger -- essential on a cold
night!

I confess I actually didn't go out for a long ride next day when it was wet
and snowy but I haven't used the ski gloves again since on 2 shopping runs

I suppose if you are commuting there would be ample time for the inside of
the gloves to dry out during the day

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

In article <[email protected]>, Rob Morley wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Mark
>Thompson
>pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com says...

>> > All but the XXL come up as in stock on my browser.

>> Lucky bugger. None of any size in stock on my browsers[1]. What is this
>> amazing browser of yours? - I want one.
>> [1] Firefox, Opera, IE7
>>

>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026357

Those ones are in stock for me too (but not 26.99). I should have looked
for a second "Pearl Izumi AmFIB Lobster Glove" page instead of just
saying "assuming you mean these ones" after finding one.

Danny Colyer wrote:
>Anthony Jones wrote:
>> In Firefox, right click on the frame containing the product, and select This
>> Frame -> Show only this Frame. Then cut and paste the link.

>Handy, thanks.

And optionally trim it down to just the ?ProdID=whatever bit for easier
cut and paste. (Or use TinyURL or SnipURL or equivalent.)
It is annoying that their design makes it very easy to give a reference
which is wrong - if you go to one product, then navigate to another,
and don't do the "this frame" thing, then the URL will still be for
the product you first thought of, not the one you are now looking at.

There are times when having the server say "this bit of the contents of
this page have changed" gives a smoother experience than saying
"here is a new page", but this isn't really one of them.

Still an improvement on insisting you visit the shop front page first,
and giving a misleading error message about cookies when you follow a
direct link, like Edinburgh....

In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>, Rob Morley wrote:
> >In article <[email protected]>, Mark
> >Thompson
> >pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com says...

> >> Lucky bugger. None of any size in stock on my browsers[1]. What is this
> >> amazing browser of yours? - I want one.
> >> [1] Firefox, Opera, IE7
> >>

> >http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026357

> Those ones are in stock for me too (but not 26.99). I should have looked
> for a second "Pearl Izumi AmFIB Lobster Glove" page instead of just
> saying "assuming you mean these ones" after finding one.

I just searched for AmFIB - the reduced gloves didn't show up, so
presumably the search can tell that they're obsolete.

Den 09.02.2007 kl. 22:06 skrev Jim <[email protected]>:

> No doubt a regulary asked question...
>
> Today I cycled home in the snow, and my gloves, which are okay in the dry
> cold, were useless in the wet snowcold.
>
> Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good pair of waterproof
> thermal cyclings gloves. I might look in ski shops, but they may be a big
> bulky for what I'm after.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>
> http://jimpix.co.uk/

Assos have this winter marketed a three layer glove and lobster-mitten
system, which I think must be the ideal solution - not considering the
price, which is at the typical Assos level.
(http://www.assos.com/en/accessories/)

Personally I tend to drop, leave behind, and throw away gloves at a
constantly high frequency, so I haven't dared to buy the Assos system.

To me the best solution is a pair of large water proof ski mittens, with
no or little insulation, to put over a pair of those cheap fleece gloves,
that you can buy for 4 Euros in (m)any supermarket(s).

I had a pair of cheap ski mittens like that last year. And when I was
getting hot in the tail wind, it was nice to be able to remove one layer
from my hands, and to put it back on, when the wind direction changed.

But I habitually dropped one mitten and threw away the other. Fortunately
the winter has been mild this year ;-)

Ivar, Denmark