winter is coming

Well, after reading all the replies, my set up is this, some long sleves shirt, and a extra one if I get wet, pants clips (on both legs) to avoid cold air to get to my legs, and a cheap windstoper, I carry the pants also, in case it gets colder, I got the shower cap for the helmet, I in works nicely and cheaply (I got a non pink one) smart lights on front and back, and clear glasses, on cold mornings I need something for my neck.

The two important conclusions from the thread is the shower cap and going slower, so as to control de body temperature by how fast you go instead on the amount of clothes you wear, its slower, but hey, If I was in a hurry to go to work I could find a shrink!

Javier Bonet
Tarragona,Spain
M5 26/26 USS

> mike s wrote:
> >
> > Best addition I made last year to my winter riding was a balaclava. Amazing how much body heat
> > is conserved by covering up the face and head. Heavy Lobster claw gloves helped with the hands.
> > Long silk underwear under the pants helped with the legs. Layering two or three jerseys plus a
> > medium weight jacket helped with the upper torso. I couldn't find anything that would keep the
> > feet warm after about an hour and fifteen minutes. Until then the neoprene booties helped. Just
> > thinking of this stuff gets me sick. Where did summer go?
>
> Mike,
>
> I was not aware that real winter occurred in St. Louis. ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom: In the midwest there are two types of winter. There is winter and then there is northern
Illinois winter. My post was for the regular winter. If I were in the northern Illinois winter, like
you, Balfour and the Chicago group, my posting would have been in some dialect of eskimo. I am not
sure I am hardy enough for what you guys go through. Cold is cold, but cold and wind is a whole
other story. No wonder you like that Sunset Low Racer so much. You miss any wind above 24 inches off
the ground.

Are you doing the No Baloney Ride?

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

Javier We were in Sant Mateo in March of 2000. The local riders showed up at
8:00 with winter tights and jackets. We were wearing biking shorts and short sleeve jerseys. I know
March isn't the cold part of the winter but all things are relative. The temps were about 60°F.

Personally I don't like riding below 10-15°F. Dave

mike s wrote:

> Tom: In the midwest there are two types of winter. There is winter and then there is northern
> Illinois winter. My post was for the regular winter. If I were in the northern Illinois winter,
> like you, Balfour and the Chicago group, my posting would have been in some dialect of eskimo. I
> am not sure I am hardy enough for what you guys go through. Cold is cold, but cold and wind is a
> whole other story. No wonder you like that Sunset Low Racer so much. You miss any wind above 24
> inches off the ground.
>
> Are you doing the No Baloney Ride?

Mike,

Don't even consider moving to Quebec. A typical winter there has snow from October to April with
total accumulations of 6 to 9 feet (~2 to 3
m). There are also cold spells where the daytime high temperature will not exceed -20 F (~-30 C) for
weeks at a time.

I may do the No Baloney ride just for the lunch chili if I have time. I need to get to Evanston
Saturday night so I can ride the North Shore Century on Sunday with 1600 other people. I will not be
riding with the Monkey Troop, but will wave as they go by.

Tom Sherman - Former Quebec resident