Winter mods?

blazingpedals

Oct 18, 2004
For many of us in the 'northern tier' of states, this is the off-season. A time to dream of warmer days and do a little work on the ol' machine. So, what are you doing to your two-wheeled friend this winter?

I'll start things off. I'm going to try a short crankset. The buzz is that they may help with performance and with knees; and while I haven't had any huge problems with mine, a long ride can leave them feeling, well, creaky and weak. And anything that lets me spin better might let me get rid of the 58T pie plate I have out in front. Will they work? I dunno know yet, but they're a lot cheaper than Rotors to try out.

And while I'm at it, anybody know of fast 26x1 tires other than Stelvios and Conti GPs? I'm currently running a Primo Racer 26x1.25, which is great for my training wheels, but I want something skinnier for my fast wheels.

Well, let's see.

1. I just finalized the handlebar placement on my fwd bike. Later in the spring I think I might try something even more aero.
  2. I started prototyping a hardshell seat for my bike. I built the form and have completed the first (plywood) layup. I am waiting for that to dry in the form. This seat will allow a more laid back seating position. I may eventually sell these to accompany the bike plans I sell.
  3. I have planned, but have not yet started, a hardshell tailfairing for my bike. Probably make the first one out of fiberglass.
  4. Before the spring riding season commences, I have to tie up little odds and ends, like lighting and fenders.

blazingpedals said:
And while I'm at it, anybody know of fast 26x1 tires other than Stelvios and Conti GPs? I'm currently running a Primo Racer 26x1.25, which is great for my training wheels, but I want something skinnier for my fast wheels.
I recently installed a pair of Primo Racers in 20-559--believe it or not--on my ATB tandem. At $16 each I wasn't expecting extreme performance, but to my surprise the tires are very efficient and more narrow than the Kevlar Stelvio on my Baron. If your rims are < 20mm I would give these a consideration.

bencouncil said:
I recently installed a pair of Primo Racers in 20-559--believe it or not--on my ATB tandem. At $16 each I wasn't expecting extreme performance, but to my surprise the tires are very efficient and more narrow than the Kevlar Stelvio on my Baron. If your rims are < 20mm I would give these a consideration.
Thanks. I wasn't aware that Racers came that skinny. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the LBS. At that price, I might buy two at a time just in case I like them!

While not a recumbent, I'm hard at work restoring my son's mtb. I sold both of mine last year to raise money to buy the EVOX. My son moved to Vancouver Island about a month ago and left me his mtb. So, I am cleaning it up, stripping the decals, adjusting and lubing it for the spring. I'll give it a killer paint job (I'm a visual artist) and will ride the trails come the nice weather. I also intend to ride the EVOX on the trails. We'll see which one does the job better. OK, I know which one will do the job better, but I would really like to take the EVOX out on some of the less technical trails around London.

Cheers

Charles