Winter Overshoes

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
I'm thinking of ordering "Louis Garneau Neo Protect II Shoe Covers" online, from Performance Bicycle. It got 12 reviews and a pretty good score. Is anyone out there using these shoe covers? Hopefully size XL fits over size 11 Keen cycling shoes, perhaps with room to put toe covers on under the shoe covers.

Thanks

Bob

Overshoes generally have a rather poor life expectancy if there is ANY amount of walking involved in their use.
Anything but a few steps from the door and onto the bike you're better off getting a pair of winter shoes.
I've even stopped bringing them on longer rides but prefer to use Neoprene socks instead. They're close to equally warm, with the great advantage of not self-destructing after a few steps.

Reactions: BobCochran
The warmest and most durable overshoes I had were performance brand. The outer is neoprene an fleece lined inside. The soles are tough and the leat opening had to be cut out. The zippers finally gave out but I still use them from time to time by duct taping them closed.

Still my feet get cold. Nothing beats a winter boot, I finally laid out the cash for a proper winter cycling boot. Delivery is pending.

BobCochran said:
I'm thinking of ordering "Louis Garneau Neo Protect II Shoe Covers" online, from Performance Bicycle. It got 12 reviews and a pretty good score. Is anyone out there using these shoe covers? Hopefully size XL fits over size 11 Keen cycling shoes, perhaps with room to put toe covers on under the shoe covers.
FWIW. ONE THING which I think you need to know about neoprene booties is that they are sized/(designed) for ROAD shoes which do NOT have the cleats which MTB shoes have ...

Which is to say that if you wear a size 11 MTB shoe, then you will want booties sized for size 13-or-larger shoes.

As far as how long they will last if you do a lot of walking ... that may also depend on the type of surface(s) you are walking on ...

They were performance brand from performance bicycle. They are not sold anymore.

I also have a set of thin castelli shoe covers. They help keep the wind out - but I find my shoe covers get chewed up by clipping in and out.

For my ride in the fresh snow this morning, I wore regular winter hiking boots. Not being clipped is not so bad, but I will be happy when my new boots arrive.

This is the first time I've heard about this, but it does seem like it's made for some much more hardcore bikers (cyclists?) and I definitely am not. Don't get me wrong, I love riding in the cold, I just let my feet freeze :D

@alfeng, yes, I agree with you! I discovered this the hard way when I bought some neoprene booties which don't fit my size 11 Keen cycling shoes -- they are much too small. That was USD $60 down the toilet. Or is it the bidet?

@maydog, I have the same experience with Gore Road Overshoes. They are trash. Another $55 down the toilet. They proved what dabac says. I did do a "contact us" webmail on the Gore website to complain about the overshoes. I will see what comes of it.

My new strategy is to try out some neoprene socks plus neoprene shoe covers. I am also wondering if it will help me to rubber band very large ziploc bags to my feet -- with holes cut out for the shoe cleats, I mean. The plastic will shred, but should cost me much less than $55. On the other hand, if it shreds too much, it will pollute the environment with plastic, and I don't want to hurt the environment. One strong reason for my bicycling is that I don't pump hydrocarbons into the air -- except for farts, I suppose.

Thanks a ton

Bob

BobCochran said:
@alfeng, yes, I agree with you! I discovered this the hard way when I bought some neoprene booties which don't fit my size 11 Keen cycling shoes -- they are much too small. That was USD $60 down the toilet. Or is it the bidet?

@maydog, I have the same experience with Gore Road Overshoes. They are trash. Another $55 down the toilet. They proved what dabac says. I did do a "contact us" webmail on the Gore website to complain about the overshoes. I will see what comes of it.

My new strategy is to try out some neoprene socks plus neoprene shoe covers. I am also wondering if it will help me to rubber band very large ziploc bags to my feet -- with holes cut out for the shoe cleats, I mean. The plastic will shred, but should cost me much less than $55. On the other hand, if it shreds too much, it will pollute the environment with plastic, and I don't want to hurt the environment. One strong reason for my bicycling is that I don't pump hydrocarbons into the air -- except for farts, I suppose.
FWIW. A common practice for Winter BACKPACKING-and-hiking is to create a vapor barrier using plastic bread bags (the type of bag which "regular" sandwich bread comes in) AS THE FIRST LAYER against your skin (OR a polypropylene sock) ... FOLLOWED BY your regular sock(s) as the subsequent layer(s) ...

IF you use an outer layer which does NOT breath (not that neoprene breaths) at all, then water vapor may accumulate & your feet could end up being shrouded in sweat soaked socks.

+1 Keep the vapor barrier against the skin.

I've used the breadbag, vapor barrier trick in the past. The foot feels slippery in the shoe and the bag would work its way tight against my toes which can restrict blood flow. Then the toes would break through so whatever sweat had collected in the bag would soak the sock at the toe - not good.

I do use vapor barriers for my hands on my coldest rides. If only someone made a latex or nitrile foot "glove".

Thanks CampyBob, Alfeng, and Maydog! I'm looking into them. I'm feeling very sorry for myself right now because it is raining and I want to ride but I'm being a bit of a sissy. The reviews of the Sidi shoes make me feel ashamed of myself. I guess I need to just get out there and ride....especially with maydog doing it in slush....

Bob

I found shoe covers for cheap on ebay. 5 bucks but only lasted the season becuse I would walk on them.