Winter Riding Scarf

IBOPM

Jul 7, 2005
I live in Canada, and it is really getting cold here now. For the past couple rides, my face has been in CONSTANT pain. And I decided that I could not let that keep happening. So I've decided to get a scarf.

What dimensions should I get this scarf?
What way should I tie it so that It would be secure, yet not too layered that I can't breath?

Thanks in advance.

this might seem like a silly question, but its very serious. In the past, I had to go see the doctor because my face had been chapped very badly.

Hello there! I live in Hokkaido, Japan, so I know a thing or two about REAL cold weather! ;) :D In any case, the coldest weather I ride in here is about -20 or so....and I can think of many better alternatives than a scarf. Try a balaclava (full face mask). I have one from Pearl Izumi which is excellent. That, coupled with a good Windtex cycling cap and a neck warmer would probably work much better than a scarf, which would flap along in the wind and be a hassle.

IBOPM said:
I live in Canada, and it is really getting cold here now. For the past couple rides, my face has been in CONSTANT pain. And I decided that I could not let that keep happening. So I've decided to get a scarf.

What dimensions should I get this scarf?
What way should I tie it so that It would be secure, yet not too layered that I can't breath?

Thanks in advance.

this might seem like a silly question, but its very serious. In the past, I had to go see the doctor because my face had been chapped very badly.

I second the use of a balaclava and and also use skiing goggles as well. Any exposed skin can be damaged badly in cold weather while biking since we are creating our own wind chill factor by riding our bike. Enjoy your ride and if uncomfortable, find a solution and go with it.

Another option is the Outdoor Research face mask.

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/headware/headware_all/85120

It is Goretex Windstopper, extremely warm and windproof and well designed. I like it because, unlike a balaclava, I can use it or not use it with a hat or headband. I also have an OR Windstopper headband. Just right in New England, US and probably in Canada too. They also make a balaclava with a face part that opens.