winter riding suggestions...

ganny_gear

Aug 11, 2003
searching a destination worthy of visiting during the holidays where the roads are enjoyable and the temperatures warm.

both domestic and foreign recommendations are welcome...

This really depends on what you're wants and needs are, and what your traffic tolerance is. Also, ;) today I've read a few posts from people in California, Belgium, and Australia, so using a term like "domestic or foreign" on an international site like this appears to be may leave a lot of geography to explore.

Hawaii is supposed to be nice in the non-tourist season.
Southern California is nice is some areas and has an active cycling community.
Seattle has one of the largest cycling clubs in the world and is very active year-round believe it or not, but that area is not within your "sunny" request.
I don't know much directly about any of the South American countries, just that I have read comments from several active cyclists down in regions there who say that their summers, our winters, are nice if maybe a little humid. The cycling experience can be varied depending on your personal disposition and ability to handle situations (but that could be said of anyplace, including NewYorkCity).
Florida and Georgia are supposed to be well liked, also according to comments I read from people living there.

It really depends on if you want to stay within the U.S.A., or if you want to venture out of the country for a visit. It also depends on how long of a stay you want to go for. Additionally it depends on if you want strictly road work or want to mix in some dirt or track work. Plus there is the whole issue of hills and heat and how much of both you are looking for or how much of each you care to handle. Some regions are hilly, some are mountainous. Some are hot and humid, some are hot and dry. I know of one person who heads to southwest Utah for the winter.

Do what works for you. And having no idea where you currently reside giving suggestions becomes an open book to choose from. Head to the nearest bookstore or library, go to the travel section, close your eyes, and reach out and pick a book. Who knows, it just might be good.