Winter riding?

marcvg

Guest
I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
morning. Winter is on the way...

I'd like to ride thorugh the winter, when conditions permit. I do not
plan to ride on ice. Packed snow doesn't seem like a good idea either.

I expect that cold weather (below freezing) riding is OK for roads that
are clear, so I'd like to try that. What about for trails?

--
marcvg - Back in the saddle
marcvg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7661

> I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
> morning. Winter is on the way...

I live in Old England - how nice it would be to have any sort of winter
here, other than damp. I would love to ride the trails in snow.

For your preparation you should bear in mind the old adage - There's no
such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing and equipment.

Enjoy the snow !!!!!!

Chris

--
munidobs - Level - whatever - who gives a ****
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

marcvg wrote:
> *I'd like to ride thorugh the winter, when conditions permit. I do not
> plan to ride on ice. Packed snow doesn't seem like a good idea
> either.*

Packed snow shouldn't be a problem, it can actually be a better surface
as it can be flatter than the ground. Cycle tires get traction where a
car would just slide. Snowmobile tracks should be fun.:D

I've ridden across patches of ice, with trepidation :eek: , but no
problems.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Winter is in full force here in northern Ontario, Canada! Last night I
went out riding at -15 C(5 F), after we got a bunch of new snow. The
sidwalks had been plowed, but the stong wind created 6-8" drifts. These
proved to bring an added challange and enjoyment to my riding!

Packed snow is really no different then trail riding, I find. However,
once you start riding through a few inches of snow, it becomes very
tiring very quickly. As for ice, I try to avoid that if I can; one
wrong (jerky) move, and you're down before you know what hit you!

If you have snow, or can get to a place that does, I certainly recommend
doing some unicycling in the snow! It's a blast...

--
MUniMac - MUni Raider
MUniMac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8277

marcvg wrote:
> *I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
> morning. Winter is on the way...
>
> Are there any speical issues with cold weather riding I should know
> of? *

I live in New England as well, and the snow or sleet or rain has never
stopped me from riding to classes. As long as you have a knobby tire and
metal pedals that can grib your shoes when wet, you should be fine. stay
away from making turns on ice, but other than that, riding in the snow
is a blast.

--
BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

www.skawabunga.com
www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
www.epluribusfunk.tk
gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

Winter is here in ottawa, ontario, and I've still been riding to school
every day.

noby tires are a must as well metal spiky pedals. I deflate my tire
really low (I'm almost riding on my rim) which helps with traction.

Ice should be fine as long as you go at a comfortable speed, don't turn,
dont speed up and dont slow down.

packed snow is fine. deep snow is VERY TIRING, and because of the loss
of traction, you sometimes pedal but dont move.

wet snow or snow with ice underneath is fun, as you can slide.

If you get a chance, go down a hill!!!!!:)
you only have to pedal slowly, pedaling faster=less resistance, pedaling
slower/not at all=more resistance to ballance. Also, you can sort of
slolam down.
highly recomended:)

--
PhilS - Trumpet Drum Unicycles Juggler

"There are only 10 types of people in the world - Those who understand
binary, and those who don't" - NOT taken from MucRider's(?) sig line,
but from the front of my T shirt from the salvation armey

"There are 2 types of people... those who are greek and those who wish
they was greek" - My Big Fat Greek Wedding
PhilS's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8304

downhills in snow is one of the most fun things to do with a unicycle.
the longer the downhill the better. I took my 2.6 gazz out last
winter(hasn't snowed yet here) and packed snow feels a little sketchier
than dirt but very predictable. Downhills are awesome if you balance
just right you can slide for a while and start pedaling again. its rad.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Go for it!!Snow is fun!although you get sick of it after a long
winter.
you should probally wipe your uni dry afterwards becuse snow or ice will
stck to it.

if you dont have or cant afford metal pedals,carry a hand towel in your
coat pocket or somthing,and when you fall and your feet get wet,wipe
them and your pedals off.

--
forrestunifreak - Im Lame!

I live in my own little world.
But thats okay.they know me here.

Yah snow is alot of fun, not much to worry about...don't keep your uni
outside unless your using it, and when your done let it dry off before
going out again, and make sure you oil your bearings after your done!
Other than that, its a blast...oh and i wouldn't try any crazy rock
trials, I was trying some simple stuff yesterday, and slipped, landed on
my tail bone, bruised it, and got wiplash so watch out!

--
vanished - Snow Rider

Why take the bus when you can uni, or maybe take your uni on the bus?
vanished's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3791

BoojiBoy wrote:
> *I live in New England as well, and the snow or sleet or rain has
> never stopped me from riding to classes. As long as you have a knobby
> tire and metal pedals that can grib your shoes when wet, you should be
> fine. stay away from making turns on ice, but other than that, riding
> in the snow is a blast. *

Great news about snow! I'm pleasantly surprised that snow is rideable.
This comment and the others are really encouraging. I've got a 24" with
knobby tires and pedals with pins, so I think I'm all set w/ regards to
equipment. I'll just wait for the next storm.

--

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:13:04 -0600, "marcvg" wrote:

> Great news about snow! I'm pleasantly surprised that snow is rideable.

Some simple snow riding here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/snow.htm

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham"

Riding on snow is really fun, even riding ice can be fun. Here in Aspen
we gets lots of oppurtunity to ride on the white stuff. Good ideas from
all, low pressure on knobby tire on packed snow is great fun. Powder
snow riding, well... then its time to break out the telemark skis and go
powder skiing. Cheers

|Attachment filename: logan and kelly klein under chairlift 04.jpg|
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/258436|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

It's starting the winter season here in Denver, and it has snowed a
couple of times. We've had one actual storm, which I rode through 4
miles a day for the whole week to school. I don't have spiky pedals ore
knoby tires. Instead I have Schwinn pedals and a worn-smooth whitewall
tire. I easily plowed through 6" of snow, and ice was no problem at all.
As long as you keep good weight distribution, your tire won't slip out.
It was hard with a heavy backpack (as finals were on there way). The
only trouble I ran into was mounting. I ended up sticking with a suicide
mount all week because the wheel would slide on a normal mount and
during idleing. A fun thing to try is build up speed on dry pavement
heading for ice, then when you hit the ice, make a sharp backpedal and
you will coast pretty far depending on the slickness of the ice or the
bareness of your tire.

Always dry your rim especially when you get back, I was patching a hole
the other day when I noticed rust in the nipple holes.

Have fun all around the world (Ontario especailly, Canada rocks!)

--
TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

Dear Unicyclists,

Here in the far north of Sweden, my town has turned into a bumpy sheet
of ice after a surprise two days of one degree (centigrade) above zero
where everything melted, and now ten degrees below where everything
refroze.

My KH24 does just fine as long as I don't do anything except ride in a
straight line. If I try to do any sudden movements, I fall hard onto
rock hard ice.

How can I ride on this ice? It's been almost a week since I've been able
to ride!

signed,
Cold Turkey

--
shapr - 90 km south of the Arctic Circle.
shapr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7727

I live in southwest Tennessee (southern U.S.) and we have about 2 inches
of sleet on the ground today.

I just got back from my first ride on frozen stuff. I rode my 24" MUni
(knobby tires). I was surprised at how smooth it was. Traction was good.
Turning was slick and quick. Temperature is 15 degrees (F.) but after
about 10 minutes I was sweating.

I think I need to find a better location and go do this again.

--
mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
and those who don't.
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119