Winter riding

atomship47 said:
well now that's just great dammit! no i have to go out and buy a mtb. any recommendations?

atomship - check my edit above. I didn't realize this thread was started back in 2003!

gntlmn said:
I haven't had any problem yet. One ride last weekend I did was up a mountain to a ski area in Anchorage, Alaska. It was snowing at the top, about 25 F. I had a long sleeve, skin tight riding jersey underneath, and a slightly heavier (but still light) riding jersey/jacket on the outside. I also wore long pants. The fabric in pants and jacket is nylon, polyester, lycra, spandex, blend. I wore two pairs of socks designed for cross country skiing: the underneath one is very thin and designed to wick the moisture away from the foot, the one on the outside is I think a wool blend, also very thin. I was very comfortable on the way up, 20+ % grade and the way down (high speed). I unzipped the jacket to let the cool air in on the way up, and zipped it back up when I went down. The trick is to wear layers in the arctic; even thin layers are better than trying to get it all with one. I ride at as cold as 45 below F, but then I get a bit too bulky to really call it a decent workout. The breakpoint seems to be around 20 to 25 below when you really start to notice the cold, and the legs seem like they just won't get going.
:eek:20 to 25 below... you are not human. that is crazy cold. honestly, my breaking point is +30. then i take it inside on the trainer, which is very boring.

I was thinking of asking this question when I was riding the other day... and I feel like a chump now. It was 33 when I woke up, and by the time I got on the bike, it was around 50. My arm warmers came off between the door of the house and the bike... I have yet to ever wear them. Well, now I can't say "it's too cold"!!!