winter running shoe recommendations?

Rob

Guest
Looking for something waterproof and breathable to run in light snow and
slush. How are the Timberland Snow Lizards?
Any other recommendations?

>Any other recommendations?

Wrap yourself in Saran wrap. You'll be fresh afterwards.

<Looking for something waterproof and breathable to run in light snow and
slush. How are the Timberland Snow Lizards?
Any other recommendations? >

Try Parc Place

http://www.parcplace.org/about.html
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

PARC is a unique conservation network because:
• PARC includes all reptiles and amphibians
• PARC is habitat focused
• PARC includes all individuals, organizations, and agencies that have
an interest in reptile and amphibian conservation
• PARC focuses on endangered and threatened species and keeping common
native species common

_______

Rob wrote:

> Looking for something waterproof and breathable

Which do you want - waterproof OR breathable? If somebody has actually
developed something that is waterproof AND breathable, I'm sure we would
all have heard about it by now.

> to run in light snow and
> slush. How are the Timberland Snow Lizards?

They look fine for hiking, but waay too bulky to run in. Insulation is
fine for hiking, and *maybe* for running at -40F or so, but your feet
will swelter while running.

> Any other recommendations?

How long (duration) are your runs? (are we dealing with 1-hr runs or 5+
hrs) Temperatures? (near freezing, -20F?)

Shallow snow and slush sounds like you're someplace that only gets a
little snow and temps are near freezing. If that's the case, I'd just
use vaseline on the feet and breathable shoes (let the slush and melted
snow run out). Be sure to wear wool or synthetic socks. I definitely use
the vaseline near freezing (or in rain) on runs over 1+ hr when things
might get soggy, but am less likely to use it in colder temperatures or
shorter runs.

OTOH, I'm usually running on snowshoes if we have the snow to do it :)

Dot

--
The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury.
- John Hardy

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
> OTOH, I'm usually running on snowshoes if we have the snow to do it :)
> Dot

Dot, what are your recommendations on snowshoes to run in. We haven't
gotten enough snow yet in the Upper Valley of Vermont, but it probably won't
be long.

Thanks,
Terry

TR wrote:

> Dot, what are your recommendations on snowshoes to run in. We haven't
> gotten enough snow yet in the Upper Valley of Vermont, but it probably won't
> be long.

I'm using NorthernLites Elites
http://www.northernlites.com/index.html

The decision was based primarily on knowing the Elites had been used in
some of the Alaskan winter ultras, were the lightest on the market, and
cost $200/pair vs about $300+ for most of the others. It was one of
those shoot-from-the-hip decisions since I had no real way (or
foreseeable way) of getting more information or knowing what was right
for me.

I've been very happy with them, but would like to actually compare them
with other brands, just to see what some of the other gizmos are and
understand the differences.

The instructor at a seminar (fast at national level in women's division)
last year uses Red Feathers since she was sponsored by them (public
relations-type team) and she liked them. However, they aren't doing that
this year and there's been some buyouts in the industry, so she's
considering getting the Elites also, although she is aware of a pair
breaking (not sure how) on one of the ultras in the past. I think the
current RedFeathers are different from the older ones. I think she gets
over 1000 miles out of a pair of ss and has only been running with them
for about 3 or 4 years, iirc - she's very much a ss addict ;). (FWIW,
most of the ultras up here now are run on packed trails, but people
carry ss in their sleds for emergencies or soft snow.)

Jan 8, 2005, is Winter Trails Day nationwide where many places are
having events to get more people involved in winter sports - in
particular, having snowshoes (and I think xc skis) to try.
http://www.snowshoemag.com/calendar.cfm?months_out=1
http://www.wintertrails.org/

If there's a location near you or some other event, it might be
worthwhile checking out snowshoes from vendors. If I was near one, I
definitely would. I'd be particularly interested in the Dion ss because
of things I've heard about their bindings.

Here's an online mag (planning to be hard copy some day) with varying
qualities of information.
http://www.snowshoemag.com/
Note that they have a forum also, although it's still way below
critical mass.
http://www.snowshoemag.com/bb/index.php

Here's a rather long, but informative (IMHO) discussion of snowshoe
running and gear - and it has a lot more links from multiple people.
http://forums.runnersworld.com/thread.jspa?threadID=219535&tstart=195

Being able to get off the icy, cruddy roads and bike paths (adjacent to
roads so they get the snowplow crud) and run with snowshoes has really
been a godsend for me in terms of conditioning without the fear-factor
aspect. We don't always have reliable snow though.

Dot
There'll be a test next week ;)

--
The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury.
- John Hardy
http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning.com.au/misc/training.shtml

Dot, thanks so much for all the info. Very informative, and will get me off
in the right direction. My snowshoeing up to this point has been limited to
walking, and hiking up mountains in New Hampshire. I'm looking forward to
being able to run outside during the long winter months.
Thanks again,
Terry

news:[email protected]...