Winter Running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Globaldisc, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in running
    w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as little movement
    as possible w/my fist. As much as possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all in efforts
    of having available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I normally like to dangle
    my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.

    Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F). Winter running can be lonely on the routine
    jogging/running paths/roads. It's dark early....it's cold. I see a very small fraction of the normal
    amount of runners I'd normally see on a July night at the same time as I do now. 20's, 10's and
    single digits will be here soon. People think I'm crazy....little do they know I know you runners
    that live in Canada and the like that somehow manage this passion of ours when it's well in the the
    negatives. One of the nastiest things I've seen in life was at the end of the 10 Mile race I did
    last year at degrees and look at the faces of runners with frozen saliva on the side of their mouths
    and nostrils. Yuk!

    One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground in
    a racing context in your local circuit as a lot of people take Winter off. I suppose the ng Teresa's
    in Arizona can't relate to Winter running. Just reflecting on Winter running as I felt it for the
    first time today in all its bluster. Dot should be able to chime in well in Winter running being the
    Alaskan that he is.

    Tags:

  2. Pier-14

    Pier-14 Guest

    Just something to think about. Eskimos until recently were all born naked in igloos. Really.
    "Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm
    making
    > an effort in running w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth)
    close
    > to my chest and having as little movement as possible w/my fist. As much
    as
    > possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all in efforts of
    having
    > available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I
    normally
    > like to dangle my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.
    >
    > Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F). Winter running can be lonely on the routine
    > jogging/running paths/roads. It's dark
    early....it's
    > cold. I see a very small fraction of the normal amount of runners I'd normally see on a July night
    > at the same time as I do now. 20's, 10's
    and
    > single digits will be here soon. People think I'm crazy....little do they
    know
    > I know you runners that live in Canada and the like that somehow manage
    this
    > passion of ours when it's well in the the negatives. One of the nastiest things I've seen in life
    > was at the end of the 10 Mile race I did last
    year at
    > degrees and look at the faces of runners with frozen saliva on the side
    of
    > their mouths and nostrils. Yuk!
    >
    > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
    > in a racing context in your local circuit as a
    lot
    > of people take Winter off. I suppose the ng Teresa's in Arizona can't
    relate
    > to Winter running. Just reflecting on Winter running as I felt it for
    the
    > first time today in all its bluster. Dot should be able to chime in well
    in
    > Winter running being the Alaskan that he is.

  3. Bagpimp

    Bagpimp Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 21:11:55 GMT, [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote:

    >First seasonal running in tights,
    I'll bet you were sooooo cute too!

  4. Doug Gilliam

    Doug Gilliam Guest

    Hello,

    I've been walking/jogging in upstate NY for the past couple of months and have done a couple of
    workouts in fairly rough conditions already. Yesterday I did 60 minutes at 30 degrees with an inch
    of snow already on the ground while it was snowing in a 25-30 MPH wind. When going into the wind the
    snow which was damp really stung my face.

    I'm planning to walk/jog this winter in everthing but the most bitter weather conditions. I'm
    searching for a treadmill to use when the conditions are too tough like a couple of feet of snow
    or whatever.

    The lonely part of it (not very many people out) is one of the benefits to
    me. I enjoy the solitude. It's also kind of neat to know that you're doing something that most
    people can't or won't do. I feel great every time I complete a workout in extreme conditions.

    Good luck with your winter running efforts :).

    Doug Gilliam

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Globaldisc wrote:
    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in running
    > w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as little
    > movement as possible w/my fist. As much as possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all
    > in efforts of having available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I normally
    > like to dangle my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.

    Been bringing out the winter clothes too -- ran in the park today. It was quite warm, but I'd rather
    bring warm clothes than risk being trapped under conditions colder than anticipated for training
    runs. Tights, gloves, the obnoxious GNY jacket and a light tee.

    > Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F). Winter running can be lonely on the routine
    > jogging/running paths/roads. It's dark early....it's cold. I see a very small fraction of the
    > normal amount of runners I'd normally see on a July night at the same time as I do now. 20's,
    > 10's and

    I actually like this aspect of it.

    If you go there on Tuesday and Thursday nights around 7:00 PM, you'll see the NYRR and CPTC training
    groups (and maybe Bob Glover and Alan Ruben) taking on the elements.

    > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
    > in a racing context in your local circuit as a lot of people take Winter off. I suppose the ng
    > Teresa's in Arizona can't relate to Winter running. Just reflecting on Winter running as I felt it
    > for the first time today in all its bluster. Dot should be able to chime in well in Winter running
    > being the Alaskan that he is.

    Whenever I think it's too cold, I think of the conditions Dot runs in, and kick myself for even
    daring to think that it's "cold" (-;

    Cheers,

  6. Mark Strabel

    Mark Strabel Guest

    Living up here in Alaska, you just get use to running in 10F with snow, just dress in layers and
    enjoy the weather.

    "Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm
    making
    > an effort in running w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth)
    close
    > to my chest and having as little movement as possible w/my fist. As much
    as
    > possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all in efforts of
    having
    > available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I
    normally
    > like to dangle my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.
    >
    > Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F). Winter running can be lonely on the routine
    > jogging/running paths/roads. It's dark
    early....it's
    > cold. I see a very small fraction of the normal amount of runners I'd normally see on a July night
    > at the same time as I do now. 20's, 10's
    and
    > single digits will be here soon. People think I'm crazy....little do they
    know
    > I know you runners that live in Canada and the like that somehow manage
    this
    > passion of ours when it's well in the the negatives. One of the nastiest things I've seen in life
    > was at the end of the 10 Mile race I did last
    year at
    > degrees and look at the faces of runners with frozen saliva on the side
    of
    > their mouths and nostrils. Yuk!
    >
    > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
    > in a racing context in your local circuit as a
    lot
    > of people take Winter off. I suppose the ng Teresa's in Arizona can't
    relate
    > to Winter running. Just reflecting on Winter running as I felt it for
    the
    > first time today in all its bluster. Dot should be able to chime in well
    in
    > Winter running being the Alaskan that he is.

  7. [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in running
    > w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as little
    > movement as possible w/my fist. As much as possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all
    > in efforts of having available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I normally
    > like to dangle my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.

    Frankly, I´ve never had the idea that I should make any adjustments at all to my arm movements, and
    I don´t see any point in doing so - wear an extra layer, windtight where it´s highly desirable,
    under your tights instead; bad habits can be a nuisance to get rid of!

    > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
    > in a racing context in your local circuit as a lot of people take Winter off.

    What?! I hoped to read that the thing that kept you going was Boston, not the idea of some cheap
    small victories that will be long forgotten when crocuses bloom!

    You have, what, 20 weeks? Shouldn´t you be already content yourself with the knowledge that
    you´relaying the foundation on which to build a decent 16- or 12-week marathon training program
    which will take you to April 19th?

    Or do you intend to continue as usual for as long as possible before embarking on a shorter program?

    Anders

  8. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Globaldisc wrote:

    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in running
    > w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as little
    > movement as possible w/my fist.

    I know gloves is a generic term but I moved to mittens many years ago for warmth. I can keep my
    hands cupped and my fingers share the heat. Learned the value of mittens 30+ years ago in Alaska.

    > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
    > in a racing context in your local circuit as a lot of people take Winter off.

    My winter goal is to go back to nothing but base/power long runs through Feb. I have a few spring
    races to prepare for. I don't even consider speed a variable although I get a big bang for the buck
    off just distance.

    Off for my morning run in a delightful 40 degrees.

  9. Why is it that you mouth breathers are always surprised when the seasons change? Put on a
    sweatshirt, and move on, Nancy.

  10. Bagpimp

    Bagpimp Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:01:45 -0500, "Pier-14" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just something to think about. Eskimos until recently were all born naked in igloos. Really.

    Oh wow! I thought they were born in hospitals!

  11. bagpimp

    bagpimp Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 03:04:03 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F).

    Going to open the windows and put on the fan while you treadmill jog?

  12. Dot

    Dot Guest

    mark strabel wrote:
    > Living up here in Alaska, you just get use to running in 10F with snow, just dress in layers and
    > enjoy the weather.

    Amen! This week's weather has been awesome, esp. after last year's lack of winter. And to have a
    4-day weekend to enjoy it in daylight! I'm still grinning from all the skiing and snowshoeing on
    high quality snow although I was reduced to road running for actual running - snow on trails was too
    deep - even with snowshoes :) And the balmy +10F today was pretty nice.

    Dot praying that it doesn't rain until late March or April (or sometime *after* snow melts)

  13. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Anders Lustig wrote:

    > wear an extra layer, windtight where it´s highly desirable, under your tights instead;

    Under? I have thin tights that handle most conditions and a heavy pair for those zero and less days.
    If my heavy pair weren't clean I wore the light weight tights with a pair of thin plastic wind
    breaker pants same effect.

  14. Globaldisc <[email protected]> wrote:
    > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in running
    > w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as little
    > movement as possible w/my fist. As much as possible I'm trying to keep my fist movement-free...all
    > in efforts of having available energy on by lower body. Spring, Summer, Fall running I normally
    > like to dangle my hands on the sides of my hips free (but constrained) and open.

    Gloves too high-tech, Andrew? :)

    You New Yorkers...

    -Dave

    --
    work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
    http://www.angio.net/ (note that my reply-to address is vaguely despammed...) bulk emailers: I do

  15. David

    David Guest

    No no no... most of us in Canada are still born 'naked in igloos'. One of those little tradeoffs for
    having public healthcare.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Just something to think about. Eskimos until recently were all born naked in igloos. Really.
    >
    > Oh wow! I thought they were born in hospitals!
    --
    David Nova Scotia, Canada

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 03:04:03 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>> Tomorrow I'll be running in the low to mid 30s (F).
    >
    > Going to open the windows and put on the fan while you treadmill jog?

    <Yawn> Look, if you don't come up with better material soon, I'm going to throw another rotten egg.
    Look, I posted those jpegs-- surely, you can come up with some good material based on those.

    Cheers,

  17. bagpimp

    bagpimp Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:36:20 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Under? I have thin tights that handle most conditions

    We aren't talking gay bar wardrobe.

  18. Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > wear an extra layer, windtight where it´s highly desirable, under your tights instead;

    > Under? I have thin tights that handle most conditions and a heavy pair for those zero and less
    > days. If my heavy pair weren't clean I wore the light weight tights with a pair of thin plastic
    > wind breaker pants same effect.

    It doesn´t greatly matter whether it´s the inner or the outer layer that is windproof. For some
    reason we Nordics seem to prefer windproof underpants; I´ve been superhappy with my Brynje
    Super-Thermo hipster "windpants" http://www.brynje.no/produkter_eng.asp

    A whole different issue is that loose wind breaker pants could deprieve a runner of the opportunity
    to flaunt his muscles, wreck his self-image or interfere with the skin- tight feel which is the very
    reason why some runners prefer tights over "cumbersome" pants:)

    Anders

  19. bagpimp

    bagpimp Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:13:43 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><Yawn> Look, if you don't come up with better material soon, I'm going to throw another rotten egg.
    >Look, I posted those jpegs-- surely, you can come up with some good material based on those.

    PLEASE! I could NEVER invent anything as goofy or as offensive as those pics. I printed them out,
    one lines my toilet bowl so I can crap in your mouth 2 or 3x a day. And the other is our new
    dartboard. Thanks again for those pics, it only proves the old saying that truth is stranger than
    anything I could possibly make up.

  20. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > No no no... most of us in Canada are still born 'naked in igloos'. One of those little tradeoffs
    > for having public healthcare.

    hahahahaha :) *claps hands*

    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org