Winter Running

Anders Lustig wrote:
> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> A whole different issue is that loose wind breaker pants could deprieve a runner of the
> opportunity to flaunt his muscles, wreck his self-image or interfere with the skin- tight feel
> which is the very reason why some runners prefer tights over "cumbersome" pants:)

I my case I need to hide the goods to keep from being grabbed and molested in the woods. I rest more
ways than one during the winter months. ;)

Good luck in flaunting the family jewels!! :)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:13:43 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>><Yawn> Look, if you don't come up with better material soon, I'm going to throw another rotten
>>egg. Look, I posted those jpegs-- surely, you can come up with some good material based on those.
>
> PLEASE! I could NEVER invent anything as goofy or as offensive as those pics. I printed them out,
> one lines my toilet bowl so I can **** in your mouth 2 or 3x a day. And the other is our new
> dartboard. Thanks again for those pics, it only proves the old saying that truth is stranger than
> anything I could possibly make up.

Not bad ... I give it a B- for effort and a C- for content -- still, I was hoping you could do
better. Hate to do this, because I rarely use killfiles, but I'm going to have to killfile you (and
fear not, young troll -- I can cover your aliases with one entry.)

Cheers,

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:21:03 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>I my case I need to hide the goods to keep from being grabbed and molested in the woods.

Is that your excuse for hanging out in the bushes with your shorts around your ankles?

>Good luck in flaunting the family jewels!! :)

Dougs been arrested for that, so listen to him.

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:53:55 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not bad ... I give it a B- for effort and a C- for content -- still, I was hoping you could do
>better. Hate to do this, because I rarely use killfiles, but I'm going to have to killfile you (and
>fear not, young troll -- I can cover your aliases with one entry.)

So after I amaze and surprise you, you run away? Typical of a little 90lber, I bet you had plenty of
experience in grade school running from the bullies and the lil' girlies that used to beat you up.
Block me? HAHAHAHAHAHA Dream on. Watch my next post, and we'll see how well you did.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Globaldisc wrote:
>
> > First seasonal running in tights, knit cap & gloves was this week. I'm making an effort in
> > running w/elbows adjacent to ribs, fist balled (for warmpth) close to my chest and having as
> > little movement as possible w/my fist.
>
> I know gloves is a generic term but I moved to mittens many years ago for warmth. I can keep my
> hands cupped and my fingers share the heat. Learned the value of mittens 30+ years ago in Alaska.

Gloves and/or mittens make a BIG difference, second only to head covering (hat, hood, headband, or
scarf). But unlike andy, I keep the same arm motion unless the wind forces me to put them in my
pockets occasionally. I don't even bother most times with fancy fabrics there either, $1 cotten
gardener gloves are good for most temps.

> > One thing though that keeps me going in the Winter is knowing it's an opportunity to gain ground
> > in a racing context in your local circuit as a lot of people take Winter off.
>

> My winter goal is to go back to nothing but base/power long runs through Feb. I have a few spring
> races to prepare for. I don't even consider speed a variable although I get a big bang for the
> buck off just distance.
>
> Off for my morning run in a delightful 40 degrees.

The tights don't get worn until temp is about freezing (32F/0C), but long sleeves start about 40F.
Yes, 40f is a great temp.

I like the solitude of winter and the fact that I can run on the golf course, away from traffic but
still close to home. The feet do get cold there sometimes since they don't plow the cart path and
the snow can make staying on it tricky (hmm.. was there a curve left or right at this point?)

To winter running and a good spring running season!

Cheers,
ed

Len A. wrote:

> At the risk of being made fun of...I have an observation. Now that we are below freezing here in
> New England this week, after some relatively balmy weather, I have noticed the reflexes being
> slower. Is this my imagination or is this the effects of the cold?

I've found if I'm not dressed warmly enough, my reflexes and muscle function are slower - and I
think I'm more prone to injury, at least with achilles. If I dress warmer (some might say too warm),
I probably function better - at least for the 30 min or so that it takes *me* to get toasty warm in
subzero F. I'll unzip layers to regulate heat. If I were out for an hour or more, I might peel
layers into a pack - or add them back as get cooler.

Dot

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:19:21 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Len A.) wrote:

>At the risk of being made fun of..

Memorys of grade school returning?

>I have an observation. Now that we are below freezing here in New England this week,

Oh god, he's near me????

>after some relatively balmy weather, I have noticed the reflexes being slower. Is this my
>imagination or is this the effects of the cold?

In cold weather your body has to burn more fuel to stay warm, I suspect slower reflexes could go
along with that. Slow wits are another matter...

>Never mind that the joints are a little stiffer than usual.

A little care and the weather should have little effect on your joints. In dry weather, just hit
your weed with a plant mister every few days, wrap it in several baggies, and it'll stay nice and
fresh, and your joints won' be too dry and go up like kindling.

>But I'll tell ya, it is great ... the crisp air and all ,

sicko.

Len A. wrote:

> At the risk of being made fun of...I have an observation. Now that we are below freezing here in
> New England this week, after some relatively balmy weather, I have noticed the reflexes being
> slower. Is this my imagination or is this the effects of the cold?

This is typical winter running. It takes a little longer to warm up
and you have to be even more careful when the snow and ice hit.

As for NE I was running in Chatham on Cape Cod over Thanksgiving and enjoyed some beautiful
crisp mornings.

Len A. wrote:

> At the risk of being made fun of...I have an observation. Now that we are below freezing here in
> New England this week, after some relatively balmy weather, I have noticed the reflexes being
> slower. Is this my imagination or is this the effects of the cold?

This is typical winter running. It takes a little longer to warm up
and you have to be even more careful when the snow and ice hit.

As for NE I was running in Chatham on Cape Cod over Thanksgiving and enjoyed some beautiful
crisp mornings.

No no no... most of us in Canada are still born 'naked in igloos'. One of those little tradeoffs for
having public healthcare.

--
David Nova Scotia, Canada

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:36:20 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>Under? I have thin tights that handle most conditions

We aren't talking gay bar wardrobe.

"Ed prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Globaldisc wrote:

> > I know gloves is a generic term but I moved to mittens many years ago for warmth. I can keep my
> > hands cupped and my fingers share the heat. Learned the value of mittens 30+ years ago in
> > Alaska.
>
> Gloves and/or mittens make a BIG difference, second only to head covering (hat, hood, headband, or
> scarf). But unlike andy, I keep the same arm motion unless the wind forces me to put them in my
> pockets occasionally. I don't even bother most times with fancy fabrics there either, $1 cotten
> gardener gloves are good for most temps.

Only about 6 weeks into my running routine and I go early morning (around
5:15 am) and I pull a pair of *socks* out of my drawer to use as mitts.

Ed prochak wrote:

> Gloves and/or mittens make a BIG difference, second only to head covering (hat, hood, headband,
> or scarf). But unlike andy, I keep the same arm motion unless the wind forces me to put them in
> my pockets occasionally.

I usually try to maintain same arm movement regardless of weather I'm running in. It's helpful for
balance all the time and helps propel a person into strong winds (40-50 mph). Just beware of
aggressive arm swing if on snow shoes going up a hill in strong wind ;)

Before I had figured out a lot of form issues and winter gear, I tended to hold arms tight. But once
I gained confidence in gear and me, I was able to relax and use a normal arm motion. The hand weight
drills we did in cross-training class really helped me to loosen up. Relaxing arms and hands allows
blood to flow more readily. Clenching is wasted energy and impedes blood flow.

> To winter running and a good spring running season!

Amen! It's been so nice having winter this year - clear blue skies, at least when it's not
snowing :)

Dot

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > wear an extra layer, windtight where it´s highly desirable, under your tights instead;

> Under? I have thin tights that handle most conditions and a heavy pair for those zero and less
> days. If my heavy pair weren't clean I wore the light weight tights with a pair of thin plastic
> wind breaker pants same effect.

It doesn´t greatly matter whether it´s the inner or the outer layer that is windproof. For some
reason we Nordics seem to prefer windproof underpants; I´ve been superhappy with my Brynje
Super-Thermo hipster "windpants" http://www.brynje.no/produkter_eng.asp

A whole different issue is that loose wind breaker pants could deprieve a runner of the opportunity
to flaunt his muscles, wreck his self-image or interfere with the skin- tight feel which is the very
reason why some runners prefer tights over "cumbersome" pants:)

Anders

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:39:57 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>As for NE I was running in Chatham on Cape Cod over Thanksgiving and enjoyed some beautiful crisp
>mornings.

You were only two hours from me, and you didn't let me know? I would've driven out to "P-Town" to
meet you. I do recall that day, we thought it was a total eclipse of the sun, but we were just in
the shadow of Dougs huge head.