winter shoe covers???

finnrambo

Jun 6, 2010
I was going to get the castelli pioggia 2's but i heard they were terrible, but lately I've been quite interested in those time trial type rain covers so... any opinions on the castelli nano shoe cover or the pearl izumi barrier lite shoe cover?, if those arent quite adequate for winter (i live in vancouver) any suggestions?

I'm really fond of winter shoes. They're faster to put on,and they stand up to walking far, far better than shoe covers.
But sure, in your temperature range, and if you only plan to hobble a select few steps before getting on the gike, then shoe covers can be an option.
I've never found brand to be of particular interest, but what's been important to me have been how well a certain cover fitted a certain shoe. A thing like if the shoe has straps or clasps can have a huge impact on how well (or poorly) a certain cover will fit a certain shoe.
Next thing is ankle fit.I had one pair that was outright uncomfortable when it had to deal with socks and long legged pants.
so, as with most things shoe-related, it's better if you have the possibility to try them on.

I always thought any shoe cover will do as long as it doesn't interfere with pedalling, keeps you feet dry and protected from wind. Maybe living in Vancouver is a little different to my 15 degree winter days in OZ /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

This will really depend on how you are affected by the cold, how cold it is and how long your rides are.

Shoe covers of any sort weather it be the time trial covers, neoprene booties or duct tape will all do the same thing, they block wind and keep it from coming in the vents. This option with warmer socks should be enough for short rides of less than 1-2 hours. If you do any serious riding than go for the winter cycling boots as stated above they are great for being outside. I ride for fun and the booties do me fine but everyone is different.

i was hoping somebody had reccomendations for models of shoe covers, but i think im going to use the nano's as my old louis garneau neoprene covers rubbed against the crank which was as annoying as my keo 2 max's (they sqeak...), anyway im going to check if the nano's have the same zipper as the pioggia 2's...