Winter SPD Shoes

me

Guest
Hi All,

just thought I would let other crazies like me know about this,
Mountain Equipment Co-op now does Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Shoes,
at $79 Canadian which is about half the price I have seen anywhere
else. Have yet to try them out as I'm waiting for some extra Crank
Bros cleats for my eggbeaters (Great Pedals!) but they have higher
cuff made out of neoprene and are full leather uppers with water
proofing and have a chunky treads with optional toe studs.
If you are riding through the winter and don't want give up your
clipless pedals these might be of interest. You will need a one-off
mebership ($5) to order. www.mec.ca

me <[email protected]> wrote:

> just thought I would let other crazies like me know about this,
> Mountain Equipment Co-op now does Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Shoes,
> at $79 Canadian which is about half the price I have seen anywhere
> else. Have yet to try them out as I'm waiting for some extra Crank
> Bros cleats for my eggbeaters (Great Pedals!) but they have higher
> cuff made out of neoprene and are full leather uppers with water
> proofing and have a chunky treads with optional toe studs.
> If you are riding through the winter and don't want give up your
> clipless pedals these might be of interest. You will need a one-off
> mebership ($5) to order. www.mec.ca

Very interesting looking. If I picked these up I might be able to skip
using my uber-booties most of the time. Would anyone who lives in the
US and has a MEC membership [1] care to figure out shipping?

[1] They require a membership just to checkout and to find out shipping.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Despising machines to a man,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:57:50 -0800, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Would anyone who lives in the
>US and has a MEC membership [1] care to figure out shipping?

Orders sent to the USA are shipped by Xpresspost. Orders shipped to
the USA are not charged Canadian taxes; however, all orders pass
through customs and are subject to import duties, taxes, and custom
processing fees. A customs invoice will arrive with your parcel or
may follow in the mail. Recipients are responsible for paying these
additional fees.

MEC is unable to provide estimates for customs fees. Check with your
local customs office for more information.

Method: Xpresspost
Order total: up to $1000
Rate: $19.00
Delivery: 4-10 business days

per,
<http://mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302881922&bmUID=1163632810511#usa>
--
zk

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> just thought I would let other crazies like me know about this,
> Mountain Equipment Co-op now does Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Shoes,
> at $79 Canadian which is about half the price I have seen anywhere
> else. Have yet to try them out as I'm waiting for some extra Crank
> Bros cleats for my eggbeaters (Great Pedals!) but they have higher
> cuff made out of neoprene and are full leather uppers with water
> proofing and have a chunky treads with optional toe studs.
> If you are riding through the winter and don't want give up your
> clipless pedals these might be of interest. You will need a one-off
> mebership ($5) to order. www.mec.ca

Well, I got all interested and was seriously considering buying a pair,
until i discovered they don't have my size.
I normally wear 47 size, but they won't sell that one over the internet.
And it is too far to drive to there from way down here in Texas.
Of course a 48 size might be better to handle more layers of socks too.

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:57:50 -0800, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Would anyone who lives in the
>>US and has a MEC membership [1] care to figure out shipping?

> Method: Xpresspost
> Order total: up to $1000
> Rate: $19.00
> Delivery: 4-10 business days

Thanks, I didn't see that. I just put in an order. It's looking like a very
wet winter here and my everyday shoes are looking raggedy. If I put on
my uber-booties I stay dry, but they're a bit much for anything short of
a downpour. They were nice when I went home Wednesday though. Water up
above my pedals and my feet were still dry. Ahhhhhh.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Who does not trust enough will not be trusted.

Earl Bollinger <[email protected]> wrote:

> "me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> just thought I would let other crazies like me know about this,
>> Mountain Equipment Co-op now does Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Shoes,
>> at $79 Canadian which is about half the price I have seen anywhere
>> else. Have yet to try them out as I'm waiting for some extra Crank
>> Bros cleats for my eggbeaters (Great Pedals!) but they have higher
>> cuff made out of neoprene and are full leather uppers with water
>> proofing and have a chunky treads with optional toe studs.
>> If you are riding through the winter and don't want give up your
>> clipless pedals these might be of interest. You will need a one-off
>> mebership ($5) to order. www.mec.ca

> Well, I got all interested and was seriously considering buying a pair,
> until i discovered they don't have my size.
> I normally wear 47 size, but they won't sell that one over the internet.

I though that that was a bit weird.

> And it is too far to drive to there from way down here in Texas.
> Of course a 48 size might be better to handle more layers of socks too.

Luckily I normally take a 45 or 46. I figured a 46 would be safe, and
that should provide some room for wool socks. Mmmm, wool socks.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
It turned out that the worm exploited three or four different holes in the

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:50:01 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:

> Earl Bollinger <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> Well, I got all interested and was seriously considering buying a pair,
>> until i discovered they don't have my size.
>> I normally wear 47 size, but they won't sell that one over the internet.

> I though that that was a bit weird.
>
>> And it is too far to drive to there from way down here in Texas.
>> Of course a 48 size might be better to handle more layers of socks too.

> Luckily I normally take a 45 or 46. I figured a 46 would be safe, and
> that should provide some room for wool socks. Mmmm, wool socks.

Finally wore them into work today, -14C plus windchill, no precipitation.
Generally, good first impressions, after 25 minutes *just* beginning to
feel the chill at the toes, not what I would call uncomfortable even.
They are a bit of a pain to put on, with the 4 straps, but feel good with
thick ski socks. I bought size 46 which is the same as my Specialized
brand shoes, but I think they are a touch roomier. Sole pattern is a bit
close to the cleats, i think I need to space them up a bit, clicking in
is a little difficult and i cant always tell when I'm successful.

With the option of Overbooties for the serious **** ahead, I think I can
now look forward to surviving my winter commute.

Currently the local store doesn't have 47s in stock but if they do Earl
i could grab a pair and ship them for you?

P.S. What the hell do want winter shoes for in Texas?!

>>Sole pattern is a bit
close to the cleats, i think I need to space them up a bit, clicking in
is a little difficult and i cant always tell when I'm successful.<<

I found they went in without trying when I put the cleat closest to the
inside arch. Which gives more clearance from the crank.
Seriously slippery though while going downstairs and shiny floors.
Thinking of sand-papering mine. Chinese rubber is the worst.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:02:32 +0000, nash wrote:

>>>Sole pattern is a bit

> close to the cleats, i think I need to space them up a bit, clicking in
> is a little difficult and i cant always tell when I'm successful.<<
>
> I found they went in without trying when I put the cleat closest to the
> inside arch. Which gives more clearance from the crank.
> Seriously slippery though while going downstairs and shiny floors.
> Thinking of sand-papering mine. Chinese rubber is the worst.

I changed my mind and worked on the sole with a knife to give a bit of
relief, perfect now.

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> just thought I would let other crazies like me know about this,
> Mountain Equipment Co-op now does Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Shoes,
> at $79 Canadian which is about half the price I have seen anywhere
> else. Have yet to try them out as I'm waiting for some extra Crank
> Bros cleats for my eggbeaters (Great Pedals!) but they have higher
> cuff made out of neoprene and are full leather uppers with water
> proofing and have a chunky treads with optional toe studs.
> If you are riding through the winter and don't want give up your
> clipless pedals these might be of interest. You will need a one-off
> mebership ($5) to order. www.mec.ca

Well guess what I found?

I was at the LBS getting some oil and rim strips, when I discovered that
SIDI makes cold weather mountain shoes.
As I was perusing the clearance sale bins, there it was, a pair of SIDI cold
weather mountain shoes in size 47 no less on the clearance shoe rack.
It was sort of like a spot light illuminated the box and a chorus of angels
were singing in the background.
I tried them on and although maybe a size 48 would be better they fit OK. So
I had to buy them especially at the clearance price.
They look like these being sold here
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Mountain+Shoe&vendorCode=SIDI&major=5&minor=3
I never knew SIDI had cold weather mountain and road shoes. That was news to
me.
Like I had mentioned earler the Exustar shoes at the mec.ca store, they
don't sell 47's over the internet.
But the SIDI shoes go up a lot larger in sizes than Exustar's do.
Anyway, I'll test them out on my next commute. Usually when it is cold in
the morning I can usually make about 15 miles into a 23 mile one way commute
before my feet start to get too cold and numb. At which point I have to stop
from time to time to work some blood back into them and get them working
again.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:02:32 +0000, nash wrote:

> Seriously
> slippery though while going downstairs and shiny floors. Thinking of
> sand-papering mine. Chinese rubber is the worst.

Many shoes have this problem, my Sidis included, causing me to slip
dangerously many times. I guess it's a tradeoff between real rubber with
traction, which wears quickly and exposes SPD cleats; and harder rubber
or plastic, which resists wear but has no traction.

Matt O.

me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:50:01 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:
>>
>> Luckily I normally take a 45 or 46. I figured a 46 would be safe, and
>> that should provide some room for wool socks. Mmmm, wool socks.

> Finally wore them into work today, -14C plus windchill, no precipitation.
> Generally, good first impressions, after 25 minutes *just* beginning to
> feel the chill at the toes, not what I would call uncomfortable even.
> They are a bit of a pain to put on, with the 4 straps, but feel good with
> thick ski socks. I bought size 46 which is the same as my Specialized
> brand shoes, but I think they are a touch roomiera

I have wide feet, but these seem to fit me fairly well. I have managed
to get some water in them, but so far so good.

> Sole pattern is a bit close to the cleats, i think I need to space
> them up a bit, clicking in is a little difficult and i cant always
> tell when I'm successful.

That is rather noticeable. Also, since the soles and tread aren't
grippy, if you really press down your foot will skid off the pedal. So
you need to be a might more careful in general clipping in.

> With the option of Overbooties for the serious **** ahead, I think I can
> now look forward to surviving my winter commute.

Thankfully, these shoes alone should be 100% sufficient for Seattle.

I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"In Java, everything is an object! Oh...except for the basic types,

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> me <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:50:01 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:
>>>
>>> Luckily I normally take a 45 or 46. I figured a 46 would be safe, and
>>> that should provide some room for wool socks. Mmmm, wool socks.

>> Finally wore them into work today, -14C plus windchill, no precipitation.
>> Generally, good first impressions, after 25 minutes *just* beginning to
>> feel the chill at the toes, not what I would call uncomfortable even.
>> They are a bit of a pain to put on, with the 4 straps, but feel good with
>> thick ski socks. I bought size 46 which is the same as my Specialized
>> brand shoes, but I think they are a touch roomiera

> I have wide feet, but these seem to fit me fairly well. I have managed
> to get some water in them, but so far so good.
>
>> Sole pattern is a bit close to the cleats, i think I need to space
>> them up a bit, clicking in is a little difficult and i cant always
>> tell when I'm successful.

> That is rather noticeable. Also, since the soles and tread aren't
> grippy, if you really press down your foot will skid off the pedal. So
> you need to be a might more careful in general clipping in.
>
>> With the option of Overbooties for the serious **** ahead, I think I can
>> now look forward to surviving my winter commute.

> Thankfully, these shoes alone should be 100% sufficient for Seattle.
>
> I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
> a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
> daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
> process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
> did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.
>
> --
> Dane Buson - [email protected]
> "In Java, everything is an object! Oh...except for the basic types,
> you need to use object wrappers for those." - Anonymous Coward on /.

That is what I tried to tell everyone but someone posted that that is
normal. Gimme a break. They are slippery! The number of cleate and the
height of them is a large contributing factor but the cheap Chinese rubber
does not help at all.

In article <a7jfh.461798$1T2.54426@pd7urf2no>,
"nash" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > me <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:50:01 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:

[Duegis?]

> > I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
> > a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
> > daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
> > process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
> > did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.

> That is what I tried to tell everyone but someone posted that that is
> normal. Gimme a break. They are slippery! The number of cleate and the
> height of them is a large contributing factor but the cheap Chinese rubber
> does not help at all.

Horses for courses, alas. The cheap Chinese rubber (I have it on some
AXO DH shoes, which though they have a high ankle, are not especially
warm inside) is probably a positive choice for hard wearing and maximum
grip in muddy or snowy conditions. They're great if they have something
to dig into.

The guess that it's a positive choice is affirmed by my other AXO shoes,
a set of "Blackball" XC shoes with soft rubber outsoles. They grip, but
they also wear.

nash wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
>> a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
>> daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
>> process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
>> did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.

> That is what I tried to tell everyone but someone posted that that is
> normal. Gimme a break. They are slippery! The number of cleate and the
> height of them is a large contributing factor but the cheap Chinese rubber
> does not help at all.

Is that the sort of thing a light cover coat of Shoe Goo would help?

Pat

> Is that the sort of thing a light cover coat of Shoe Goo would help?
>
> Pat

It is worth a try for anyone still in winter climates. I changed back
already.
The upside is it digs in to snow and slush like football shoes would but ice
would break your neck.

nash <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
>> a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
>> daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
>> process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
>> did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.

> That is what I tried to tell everyone but someone posted that that is
> normal. Gimme a break. They are slippery! The number of cleate and the
> height of them is a large contributing factor but the cheap Chinese rubber
> does not help at all.

They are definitely much more slippery than all my other bike shoes. Or
any of my other shoes that I'm aware of. I'm not casting aspersion on
them or their origin, it's just something to be aware of if you're
planning on buying them.

Mainly so you can plan ahead and carry a spare pair of shoes if you plan
on tripping the light fantastic with some Lindey or West Cost Swing. Or
any other activity that might take your fancy.

I do like the clip-clop, nice crisp boot clicking sound they make on
hard floors I must admit.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"These are DARK TIMES for all mankind's HIGHEST VALUES!"

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> nash wrote:
>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> I'd also like to reiterate that the tread is *not* grippy. I've slipped
>>> a number of times on damp surfaces now. Friday I was carrying my
>>> daughter's car seat (with sleeping daughter contained inside). In the
>>> process of remaining upright I strained my shoulder rather nicely. I
>>> did not however drop my daughter, so I suppose it came out allright.

>> That is what I tried to tell everyone but someone posted that that is
>> normal. Gimme a break. They are slippery! The number of cleate and the
>> height of them is a large contributing factor but the cheap Chinese rubber
>> does not help at all.

> Is that the sort of thing a light cover coat of Shoe Goo would help?

I'll have to give that a go. I don't think I have any Shoe Goo at the
moment though. I'll have to correct that oversight.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
>> My dishwashing liquid claims to be kosher.

> Betcha it doesn't claim to be drinkable though.

If they didn't intend for me to drink it, they shouldn't have made it
lemon flavored. -- Seen in the Scary Devil Monastery