winter-time in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in Pennsylvania,
    > > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
    > > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of winter
    > > air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess I'll hang
    > > around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

    Tags:

  2. Tom Dove

    Tom Dove Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?

    Al, if you've been out riding around St. Michaels in the past three days, I'd like to see a photo of
    the snow-tunnel attachment to your bike...

    --
    -- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

  3. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Hey, Big Al,

    I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
    Michael's/Tilghman I.?

    C.C.

    > From: "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]>

    > how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
    > winter-time in Pennsylvania,
    >>> And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can tell
    >>> you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of winter air
    >>> And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess I'll hang around,
    >>> I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

  4. Carol, I have been sholveling since 7am....I'm almost to the road. I make it to be about 16/17" here
    on Tilghman Island. However, The drifts are as high as 4'. We had blizzard conditions this am.
    Sustained wind above 30mph. Not unusual here since I'm right on the bay, but hell when it snows.

    Jude....///Bacchetta AEROSNOW St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA7678C8.44E68%[email protected]...
    > Hey, Big Al,
    >
    > I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
    > Michael's/Tilghman I.?
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]>
    >
    > > how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
    > > winter-time in Pennsylvania,

  5. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Carol & Jerry, Damn Corsa got stuck in merely 2 feet of snow. Had to get WheelDoc on Penninger
    trike to pull me out.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Carol Cohen"
    > Hey, Big Al,
    >
    > I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
    > Michael's/Tilghman I.?
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: "Al Kubeluis"
    >
    > > how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
    > > winter-time in Pennsylvania,

  6. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    It is so balmy in Toronto (about 19 F / -7 C) and snowing so lightly (only about 5 cm / 2") that I
    saw someone driving a Mazda Miata with the top down.

    John Riley

  7. "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem
    Well what is he, ex-friend or Ex-PA If he's smart he's ex-PA Only about a foot of snowup here so far
    but its still got legs. The wind hasn't picked up yet, but it's expected to later It's18 degrees. No
    biking today I can't find my SPD snow boots...Damn Denny in Sayre, PA "Bent but not Broken"

    > how many miles you do today?
    > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in
    > Pennsylvania,
    > > > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
    > > > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of
    > > > winter air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess
    > > > I'll hang around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

  8. Tom Dove

    Tom Dove Guest

    Kent Island got about what the DC/Baltimore area did -- about two feet. It's drifted much higher
    than that, since the wind has been 20-35 knots for days. The marina behind my house and the Chester
    River beyond it are frozen over and covered with snow.

    Local stations say this is either the heaviest or second-heaviest snowfall since they started
    keeping weather records here in the 19th century.

    Looks like at least another week until I can ride again. So far in 2003: two days of riding :-(

    --
    -- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

  9. John........ I just got back from a trike ride through the Annex and for about an hour I was in a
    white-out, then the temps rose, winds died and now the snow is falling gently. Have this urge to
    start putting up Xmas decorations.
    "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It is so balmy in Toronto (about 19 F / -7 C) and snowing so lightly (only about 5 cm / 2") that I
    > saw someone driving a Mazda Miata with the top down.
    >
    > John Riley

  10. Penninger with Nokian Studded tires and two cinderblocks in the cargo area. Two push type snow
    shovels welded together and mounted on the front... Rescued Corsa Al and his neighbor on a BikeE.

    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO/Penninger Plowing Special St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
    Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Carol & Jerry, Damn Corsa got stuck in merely 2 feet of snow. Had to get WheelDoc on Penninger
    > trike to pull me out.
    > --
    > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
    >
    > "Carol Cohen"
    > > Hey, Big Al,
    > >
    > > I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
    > > Michael's/Tilghman I.?
    > >
    > > C.C.
    > >
    > > > From: "Al Kubeluis"
    > >
    > > > how many miles you do today?
    > > > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in
    > > > Pennsylvania,

  11. It was only -2 deg. C in London this morning, excluding wind-chill, so it will come as little
    surprise to hear that I saw a bloke on a 20" wheel folder wearing a running vest, running shorts and
    tennis shoes. No hat. No gloves. No socks. He *must* be a Geordie...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  12. Geob

    Geob Guest

    As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the desert
    near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty comfortable,
    sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my big clunky 5th
    wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are starting to bloom.
    The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the red-racers, the king snakes
    and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their nests, not sure if they had
    young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could see the White Mtns (they were
    white too).

  13. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    As I struggle and sweat and freeze, digging out our driveway near Boston (24" of snow here), our 2
    Toureasys lounge dry and clean in the living room, snickering.

    C.C.

    > From: [email protected] (GeoB)
    >
    > As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
    > desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
    > comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt.

  14. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    CC Rider whines in a Haiku fashion:

    "As I struggle and sweat and freeze, digging out our driveway near Boston (24" of snow here), our 2
    Toureasys lounge dry and clean in the living room, snickering."

    And here in sunny Florida, I remove my long sleeve shirt because I'm sweating, and begin to plot my
    escape for an afternoon ride.

    It's all relative, folks.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  15. I don't know about all this. I think I would prefer a Snow Plough over pitching my tent in an area
    that was home to rattlesnakes, red-racers, king snakes, kangaroo rats and lizards. I'd be always
    wondering if I was their menu.
    "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
    > desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
    > comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my
    > big clunky 5th wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are
    > starting to bloom. The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the
    > red-racers, the king snakes and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their
    > nests, not sure if they had young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could
    > see the White Mtns (they were white too).

  16. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Denny, we enjoyed upwards of two feet down here in SE PA. Perhaps this rare time we were handed more
    than you. But I am not complaining. It's usually the other way around. I have been to Towanda and
    Mansfield. I know the area. You know winter up there.

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  17. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?
    > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in Pennsylvania,
    > > > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
    > > > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of
    > > > winter air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess
    > > > I'll hang around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

    Well, guess where I was this weekend? I had a chance to get together with my bestest friends from my
    college days. So, Last Friday with deteriorating weather forecasts, I headed to Va. Tech for a
    banquet put on annually be a club that would have me for a member 30+ years ago.

    Here are a few pics of my trip.

    http://www.clee.org/Banquet/index.htm

    I flew into Roanoke (sans Bike) and rented a 4WD truck and headed to the first party in freezing
    rain and sleet. The weather didn't really start getting bad until Saturday night. Sunday morning I
    got a chance to drive in the snow and ice for the first time in 30 years. Since the weather wasn't
    getting any better, I opted to move my base closer to the airport in Roanoke where I was stranded in
    a motel until Monday when the airport reopened.

    BTW, I was responsible for the several cases of Shiner Beer (some of which can be seen in the
    second picture).

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  18. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

  19. David

    David Guest

    I see, alas, yet another one who shall never know the pleasure, the challenge, the pain, of ice
    biking. I have indulged in it the past two days with gratifying results. No crashes, no damage to
    body or bike but satisfaction to the mind. David Inhabitant of the frozen north. Owner of Tour Easy,
    Gold Rush & Vision R40

    GeoB wrote:
    > As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
    > desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
    > comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my
    > big clunky 5th wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are
    > starting to bloom. The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the
    > red-racers, the king snakes and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their
    > nests, not sure if they had young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could
    > see the White Mtns (they were white too).

  20. Bentjay

    Bentjay Guest

    Man, all you wistful Keystoners! This Spring I plan to ride from Cleveland to Pittsburgh. From
    Youngstown, I plan to ride via 18/65 to Pittsburgh. Are these roads bicycle friendly?

    BentJay