winter-time in Pennsylvania

Al Kubeluis

Guest
hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in Pennsylvania,
> > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
> > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of winter
> > air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess I'll hang
> > around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote:

> hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?

Al, if you've been out riding around St. Michaels in the past three days, I'd like to see a photo of
the snow-tunnel attachment to your bike...

--
-- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

Hey, Big Al,

I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
Michael's/Tilghman I.?

C.C.

> From: "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]>

> how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
> winter-time in Pennsylvania,
>>> And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can tell
>>> you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of winter air
>>> And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess I'll hang around,
>>> I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

Carol, I have been sholveling since 7am....I'm almost to the road. I make it to be about 16/17" here
on Tilghman Island. However, The drifts are as high as 4'. We had blizzard conditions this am.
Sustained wind above 30mph. Not unusual here since I'm right on the bay, but hell when it snows.

Jude....///Bacchetta AEROSNOW St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA7678C8.44E68%[email protected]...
> Hey, Big Al,
>
> I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
> Michael's/Tilghman I.?
>
> C.C.
>
> > From: "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]>
>
> > how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
> > winter-time in Pennsylvania,

Hi Carol & Jerry, Damn Corsa got stuck in merely 2 feet of snow. Had to get WheelDoc on Penninger
trike to pull me out.
--
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"Carol Cohen"
> Hey, Big Al,
>
> I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
> Michael's/Tilghman I.?
>
> C.C.
>
> > From: "Al Kubeluis"
>
> > how many miles you do today? ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
> > winter-time in Pennsylvania,

It is so balmy in Toronto (about 19 F / -7 C) and snowing so lightly (only about 5 cm / 2") that I
saw someone driving a Mazda Miata with the top down.

John Riley

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem
Well what is he, ex-friend or Ex-PA If he's smart he's ex-PA Only about a foot of snowup here so far
but its still got legs. The wind hasn't picked up yet, but it's expected to later It's18 degrees. No
biking today I can't find my SPD snow boots...Damn Denny in Sayre, PA "Bent but not Broken"

> how many miles you do today?
> ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in
> Pennsylvania,
> > > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
> > > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of
> > > winter air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess
> > > I'll hang around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

Kent Island got about what the DC/Baltimore area did -- about two feet. It's drifted much higher
than that, since the wind has been 20-35 knots for days. The marina behind my house and the Chester
River beyond it are frozen over and covered with snow.

Local stations say this is either the heaviest or second-heaviest snowfall since they started
keeping weather records here in the 19th century.

Looks like at least another week until I can ride again. So far in 2003: two days of riding :-(

--
-- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

John........ I just got back from a trike ride through the Annex and for about an hour I was in a
white-out, then the temps rose, winds died and now the snow is falling gently. Have this urge to
start putting up Xmas decorations.
"John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It is so balmy in Toronto (about 19 F / -7 C) and snowing so lightly (only about 5 cm / 2") that I
> saw someone driving a Mazda Miata with the top down.
>
> John Riley

Penninger with Nokian Studded tires and two cinderblocks in the cargo area. Two push type snow
shovels welded together and mounted on the front... Rescued Corsa Al and his neighbor on a BikeE.

Jude....///Bacchetta AERO/Penninger Plowing Special St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Carol & Jerry, Damn Corsa got stuck in merely 2 feet of snow. Had to get WheelDoc on Penninger
> trike to pull me out.
> --
> ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
>
> "Carol Cohen"
> > Hey, Big Al,
> >
> > I hear things are much worse on your latitude line. 18-24" in DC -- how much in St.
> > Michael's/Tilghman I.?
> >
> > C.C.
> >
> > > From: "Al Kubeluis"
> >
> > > how many miles you do today?
> > > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in
> > > Pennsylvania,

It was only -2 deg. C in London this morning, excluding wind-chill, so it will come as little
surprise to hear that I saw a bloke on a 20" wheel folder wearing a running vest, running shorts and
tennis shoes. No hat. No gloves. No socks. He *must* be a Geordie...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the desert
near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty comfortable,
sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my big clunky 5th
wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are starting to bloom.
The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the red-racers, the king snakes
and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their nests, not sure if they had
young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could see the White Mtns (they were
white too).

As I struggle and sweat and freeze, digging out our driveway near Boston (24" of snow here), our 2
Toureasys lounge dry and clean in the living room, snickering.

C.C.

> From: [email protected] (GeoB)
>
> As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
> desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
> comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt.

CC Rider whines in a Haiku fashion:

"As I struggle and sweat and freeze, digging out our driveway near Boston (24" of snow here), our 2
Toureasys lounge dry and clean in the living room, snickering."

And here in sunny Florida, I remove my long sleeve shirt because I'm sweating, and begin to plot my
escape for an afternoon ride.

It's all relative, folks.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

I don't know about all this. I think I would prefer a Snow Plough over pitching my tent in an area
that was home to rattlesnakes, red-racers, king snakes, kangaroo rats and lizards. I'd be always
wondering if I was their menu.
"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
> desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
> comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my
> big clunky 5th wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are
> starting to bloom. The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the
> red-racers, the king snakes and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their
> nests, not sure if they had young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could
> see the White Mtns (they were white too).

Denny, we enjoyed upwards of two feet down here in SE PA. Perhaps this rare time we were handed more
than you. But I am not complaining. It's usually the other way around. I have been to Towanda and
Mansfield. I know the area. You know winter up there.

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

> hey denny v, an ex-pa friend sent me this poem how many miles you do today?
> ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ winter-time in Pennsylvania,
> > > And the gentle breezes blow, About seventy miles an hour And it's fifty-two below. You can
> > > tell you're in Pennsylvania 'cause the snow's up to your butt, And you take a breath of
> > > winter air And your nose holes both freeze shut The weather here is wonderful, So I guess
> > > I'll hang around, I could NEVER leave Pennsylvania. My feet are frozen to the ground!

Well, guess where I was this weekend? I had a chance to get together with my bestest friends from my
college days. So, Last Friday with deteriorating weather forecasts, I headed to Va. Tech for a
banquet put on annually be a club that would have me for a member 30+ years ago.

Here are a few pics of my trip.

http://www.clee.org/Banquet/index.htm

I flew into Roanoke (sans Bike) and rented a 4WD truck and headed to the first party in freezing
rain and sleet. The weather didn't really start getting bad until Saturday night. Sunday morning I
got a chance to drive in the snow and ice for the first time in 30 years. Since the weather wasn't
getting any better, I opted to move my base closer to the airport in Roanoke where I was stranded in
a motel until Monday when the airport reopened.

BTW, I was responsible for the several cases of Shiner Beer (some of which can be seen in the
second picture).

- Bellaire, TX USA -

I see, alas, yet another one who shall never know the pleasure, the challenge, the pain, of ice
biking. I have indulged in it the past two days with gratifying results. No crashes, no damage to
body or bike but satisfaction to the mind. David Inhabitant of the frozen north. Owner of Tour Easy,
Gold Rush & Vision R40

GeoB wrote:
> As a public service, to cheer you up and add a litte perspective: I spent the weekend in the
> desert near Mojave, CA. One day was windy but nowhere near what it is sometimes. It was mosty
> comfortable, sometimes I wore a T-shirt, generally a sweat shirt. Had campfires at night. Left my
> big clunky 5th wheel behind, took a tent. Desert is really green right, and the wild flowers are
> starting to bloom. The critters are still hybernating. The tortoises, the rattlesnakes, the
> red-racers, the king snakes and kangaroo rats, lizards, etc. Red-tail hawks were attending their
> nests, not sure if they had young. Lovely, beautiful weather. Could see for over 100 miles. Could
> see the White Mtns (they were white too).

Man, all you wistful Keystoners! This Spring I plan to ride from Cleveland to Pittsburgh. From
Youngstown, I plan to ride via 18/65 to Pittsburgh. Are these roads bicycle friendly?

BentJay