Winter Tires (was: Re: Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists)

Tom Sherman

Guest
dot max of the Fox River Valley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
>>> anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

>> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
>> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
>> studded tires.

> 20 below zero, not remotely uncomfortable, well over 15 miles a day.
>

> Being a snot-nosed young punk as you are, you wouldn't understand the
> need to actually work to maintain fitness, but you will, someday. Then
> you will be One Of Us. Just remember that you heard it here first. And
> the brand of tires you buy just might be Nokian.[...]

Does Nokian make an ISO 406-mm studded tire anymore (I was under the
impression that they had discontinued this size in the late 1990's)?

Fortunately, Schwalbe has both adopted superior tungsten carbide studs
and makes an ISO 406-mm version: <http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1788>.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> dot max of the Fox River Valley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

> >> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
> >> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
> >> studded tires.

> > 20 below zero, not remotely uncomfortable, well over 15 miles a day.
> >

> > Being a snot-nosed young punk as you are, you wouldn't understand the
> > need to actually work to maintain fitness, but you will, someday. Then
> > you will be One Of Us. Just remember that you heard it here first. And
> > the brand of tires you buy just might be Nokian.[...]

> Does Nokian make an ISO 406-mm studded tire anymore (I was under the
> impression that they had discontinued this size in the late 1990's)?

I have a cow orker with skinny studded nokians. They're 700c's, not 26".
Don't know.

> Fortunately, Schwalbe has both adopted superior tungsten carbide studs
> and makes an ISO 406-mm version: <http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1788>.

That's good news!

> I have a cow orker with skinny studded nokians. They're 700c's, not 26".
> Don't know.

LOL! "cow orker"???