Winter Training - 1st Time Using HR Monitor

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I'm new to biking this year and during the summer I didn't use a HR monitor or other gadgets, just enjoyed riding.

Now that I'll be stuck on a stationary bike when the bad weather settles in, I thought it would be better to devise a program and maximize the indoor riding, while helping to cure the boredom.

I haven't quite set objectives yet, but generally my goals are to maintain my leg strength (or even improve it) and improve my endurance, so when spring rolls around, I can start to pedal further than I did this year.

So, I've read a bit about the HR zones, my bike has a HR monitor, cadence, etc., but I'm not sure how to structure a weekly program, what to record, and how to analyze the results. I really only want to ride 3 times a week, for 30 minutes, plus ride outdoors, weather permitting.

If I haven't provided enough info here for your suggestions, please point me towards a book or web site where I can get ideas about programs. I don't want a program told to me, but want to know generally how to set one to fit my schedule.

Thanks.

noonievut said:
I'm new to biking this year and during the summer I didn't use a HR monitor or other gadgets, just enjoyed riding.

Now that I'll be stuck on a stationary bike when the bad weather settles in, I thought it would be better to devise a program and maximize the indoor riding, while helping to cure the boredom.

I haven't quite set objectives yet, but generally my goals are to maintain my leg strength (or even improve it) and improve my endurance, so when spring rolls around, I can start to pedal further than I did this year.

So, I've read a bit about the HR zones, my bike has a HR monitor, cadence, etc., but I'm not sure how to structure a weekly program, what to record, and how to analyze the results. I really only want to ride 3 times a week, for 30 minutes, plus ride outdoors, weather permitting.

If I haven't provided enough info here for your suggestions, please point me towards a book or web site where I can get ideas about programs. I don't want a program told to me, but want to know generally how to set one to fit my schedule.

Thanks.
It really depends on at what time you want things to happen, and what kind of biking you do: Racing, toyring, Recreational ??
If racing I'd really recommend Joe Friel "The Cyclist's Training Bible".

Reg. HR it's basically about ensuring that you are training at the right level of intensity, which again refers to at what level of fitness you are right now, when you plan to peak and how your training plan is schedueled.

One simple way of approaching this is to look at your 1 hour TT-threshold (Also commonly reffered to as Lacetat Threshold or LT). This is the avg. heart rate you'll have during a 1 hour TT.

If training below it, you basically do aerobic endurance training, If above you do anaerobic training (done as intervals).
If traing 5 beats above or below you're traing your LT with either push (training below) or pull (training above). I don't know which one is best, I think it's an indivdual matter.

At this time at year it is common to do mainly, if not only, aerobic endurance training, then putting in LT-training during middle/late winter and introducing anaerobic intervals in spring. This is to ensure that you do not peak during late winter, early spring, but later when its needed. Also a big amount of endurance training helps to build a good cardiovascular system and speeds up restitution after hard rides.

I can't really say how this fits into your schedule and aims for the training, but feel free to ask more specific questions...

Hope this helps