Winter Training Option?

was7g

May 11, 2006
I'd like to throw in some cross training as an addition to working out on an indoor trainer and/or rides on the weekends over the winter.

I'm not a fan of running- in fact, I chose cycling because I've got really painful shin splints (I know they go away with training, but I'm a wuss- what can I say), and so I'm looking for something that's (relatively) low impact and still works on the engine room.

It turns out that there are some really good speed skating programs near where I live (two former Korean national team coaches live in Richmond, VA)- I was wondering if anyone has tried skating in the off season as a way to keep the legs, lungs, and cardio system in shape? Obviously, I'll continue doing workouts on the trainer, as I said, but I figured that that gets boring (this will actually be my first winter using a trainer).

Thanks in advance...

was7g said:
I'd like to throw in some cross training as an addition to working out on an indoor trainer and/or rides on the weekends over the winter.

I'm not a fan of running- in fact, I chose cycling because I've got really painful shin splints (I know they go away with training, but I'm a wuss- what can I say), and so I'm looking for something that's (relatively) low impact and still works on the engine room.

It turns out that there are some really good speed skating programs near where I live (two former Korean national team coaches live in Richmond, VA)- I was wondering if anyone has tried skating in the off season as a way to keep the legs, lungs, and cardio system in shape? Obviously, I'll continue doing workouts on the trainer, as I said, but I figured that that gets boring (this will actually be my first winter using a trainer).

Thanks in advance...
Former Olympic speed skater Eric Heiden won the US Pro championships in cycling back in the late 80s or early nineties so I say go for it. Those boys have huge legs. I will roller blade on out of town trips because it is easier to travel with skates than box your bike for a short hop. IMHO Great exercise that translates pretty well to cycling. Let us know how it goes.

I don't see any real reason not to ride in Winter unless you have constant snow. True, it can get cold out there but it still feel great to be outside and making progress when other people are taking to their rollers.

was7g said:

Thanks in advance...