Winter Training Program

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by J Thompson, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. J Thompson

    J Thompson Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2C530.49B27750 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength = training as well as
    aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly = becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    have some programs to = share?

    ciao,

    JT ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2C530.49B27750 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1126" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm looking for a winter training = program that=20 involves
    weight/strength training as well as aerobic. The one I'm on now = is=20 good, but quickly
    becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone have = some=20 programs to share?</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ciao,</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>JT</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2C530.49B27750--

    Tags:

  2. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    J Thompson wrote:
    > I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    > aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    > have some programs to share?
    >
    > ciao,
    >
    > JT

    My opinion is that a canned program may not give you what you want. Two thoughts: hire a trainer, or
    get a good book written with the kind of fitness goals YOU have in mind. There are thousands of
    books with good information,whether you want to body build, train for the racing or just get in
    shape. Same for books with a cardio emphasis. How is any one here supposed tour recommend something
    when you don't state your goals?

    Fwiw, I used to weight train for competitieve body builidng. For year now, winter training is
    spiining and skiing hard, summer training is riding and hiking.

    Anyway, the guys around here are just going to tell you that you get in shape for riding,
    by riding.

    penny

  3. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    >aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    >have some programs to share?

    =A0
    >ciao,

    =A0>JT

    My training program consists in dressing in layers of clothing, slipping my Camelback over my
    shoulders, and riding in the snow. Definitely aerobic, excellent for building strength, considering
    the extra force it takes for pedaling in the snow, and inexpensive.

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:44:21 GMT, "J Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    >aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    >have some programs to share?
    >
    >ciao,
    >
    >JT

    Swim 3 nights a week Mon, Wed 600 yard warm up, 200 free, 200 kick, 200 pull. Followed by 1 mile

    Fri, 10 x 125, odds are hard evens are medium, followed by 30 minutes spinning, work on technique.

    Tue, Thrus hit the tread mill for sprint work/ intervals, keep if below 10k. Helps to keep the peace
    if you have a treadmill in the house.

    Saturday your choice bike or run. If you choose to run do a 10k, Take off and recover Sunday. If you
    bike your choice mtb or road. Too cold for the road so I mtb it.

    Eat often and eat a lot, carbs are your friend don't let anyone tell you any different. You'll need
    proteins also.

    Drink water constantly.

    Don't worry of you miss a day, but don't make it routine to miss.

    Peace,

    Bill(works for me)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Fwiw, I used to weight train for competitieve body builidng.
    >
    > penny

    ??? penny on the juice....no,no,no!!!!
    --
    Slacker

  6. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    >> Fwiw, I used to weight train for competitieve body builidng.
    >>
    >> penny
    >

    > ??? penny on the juice....no,no,no!!!!

    down boy.... that was 16 years ago, "BC" think the Cory Everson era, no juice. Really there's not
    point to it.

  7. Joe Seamour

    Joe Seamour Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > J Thompson wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    > > aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    > > have some programs to share?
    > >
    > > ciao,
    > >
    > > JT
    >
    > My opinion is that a canned program may not give you what you want. Two thoughts: hire a trainer,
    > or get a good book written with the kind of fitness goals YOU have in mind. There are thousands of
    > books with good information,whether you want to body build, train for the racing or just
    get
    > in shape. Same for books with a cardio emphasis. How is any one here supposed tour recommend
    > something when you don't state your goals?
    >
    > Fwiw, I used to weight train for competitieve body builidng. For year now, winter training is
    > spiining and skiing hard, summer training is riding and hiking.
    >
    > Anyway, the guys around here are just going to tell you that you get in shape for riding, by
    > riding.
    >
    > penny

    I agree with Penny a coach works great but I have a problem bringing myself to pay someone at the
    level I compete (meaning I'm not serious enough)... Here is what I do for the winter if it helps...

    Sunday - Usually a hard group ride around 3-4 hours on a MTB/Road (weather permitting). Monday -
    Active Recovery ride (low heart rate). Tuesday - Lift Wednesday - Base miles road ride on road or
    trainer Thursday - Lift Friday - Off Saturday - 2-3 hour base miles road ride

    As for the lifting days I use a modified version out of Joe Friel's 'The Mountain Biker's Training
    Bible'. The workout I'm currently using is the Anatomical Adaptation. Soon I will go to the Strength
    phase. After the Strength phase I will do more riding as the season get nearer along with intervals
    ect. I try to maintain lifting twice a week through out the season doing just light upper body. I
    feel this helps with bike handling skills and helps prevent injury for that certain crash...

    If you are interested in the workouts but don't want to buy the book email
    me...

    -js

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "J Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    > aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    > have some programs to share?

    Ride your mountain bike.

    JD

  9. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > J Thompson wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a winter training program that involves weight/strength training as well as
    > > aerobic. The one I'm on now is good, but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone
    > > have some programs to share?
    > >
    > Anyway, the guys around here are just going to tell you that you get in shape for riding, by
    > riding.

    You said it best. Ride a different trail every day. Nothing boring or routine about that. Get some
    headlights and ride at night too, adds a little spice to the "same old trails".

    -- The Ogre

  10. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C2C56C.AD829030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    "J Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:p[email protected]... I'm looking for a winter
    training program that involves = weight/strength training as well as aerobic. The one I'm on
    now is good, = but quickly becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone have some =
    programs to share?

    Ride when you can and skate ski when the snow gets too deep. You = won't find the skate skiing
    routine, painful but not routine lol!

    Shaun (Fischer RCS's and all) Bell

    ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C2C56C.AD829030 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px
    solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DV>"J Thompson" <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>> =
    wrote in=20 message <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:p[email protected]=
    ">news:p[email protected]</A>..= .</DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm looking for a winter training = program that=20 involves
    weight/strength training as well as aerobic. The one I'm on = now is=20 good, but quickly
    becoming too routine / non-challenging. Anyone have = some=20 programs to
    share?</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ride when you can and skate ski when = the snow=20 gets too
    deep. You won't find the skate skiing routine, painful = but not=20 routine
    lol!</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Shaun (Fischer RCS's and=20
    all) Bell</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C2C56C.AD829030--