winter training...what do you do?

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
here in ohio the days are growing shorter and colder. with the roads getting sloppy, covered with everything from falling leaves to slush to road grit, i get the track bike out, strap on a couple of lights and go spinning around town in the evenings and just rolling a few miles out in the countryside on the weekends (at least those that are blizzard-free!).

when the temperatures drop to freezing, what do you do? (please...no california/arizona/florida responses. i just might have to buy a winter home there to stay warm!)

changing a flat tubular can be a challenge when your hands are so cold they have no feeling!

There is a reason those of us who ride in NYC hate LA... thanks for reminding me! :)

I woudl get a trainer, and a power meter. Yery efficent in a really boring activity. Oh, and some TdF DVD's, and a fan...

fabiosav said:
There is a reason those of us who ride in NYC hate LA... thanks for reminding me! :)

I woudl get a trainer, and a power meter. Yery efficent in a really boring activity. Oh, and some TdF DVD's, and a fan...
:D :D :D

No wonder the knobby tire riders think roadies are soft. Geez guys, toughen up. Biking through the winter, through the cold and the wind isn't that bad, even in eastern Iowa. Just layer like crazy. It might be a little cold and some skin might be red when you get back, but its worth it when you in good form at the start of the season compared to all the guys who rode trainers all winter and don't have any on-road experience. Sure, I do ride a trainer in the winter, but if the on-bike wind chill factor is above 15, I'm out on the road. A 2 hour ride is as much as one can stand but its worth it.

I'm in Iowa and use layers topped off with Sugoi Sub Zero gear.
I Ride all winter long, ( as long as the roads aren't ice ) when the snow flies it gets me enthused almost as much as rain.

i have ridden rollers in winter since 1972. it's great for form, but boring to the point i'ld rather drive nails in my eyes. listening to tunes...watching old tour re-runs...practicing removing and putting on jerseys while 'riding'...aarrggghhh! it's just too boring to deal with anymore.

mountain bikes aren't my thing. i am thinking of building up a cyclocross bike though. i still prefer the quick wipedown a track bike takes. maintanance is fast and easy enough it doesn't get ignored.

jahona, i can put on enough layers, but it's the daylight i lack. the weekends are the only time we get enough 'graylight' (sun? that orange ball must hibernate in california!) to get a decent ride in. after work on weekdays, even the 10-milers i put in are pushing the envelope for safe road training. the coldest ride i did was a 13° air temp ride (hmmm? i wonder what the chill factor is at 18 mph?) that lasted about an hour. toes were numb. fingers kept going numb...and my brain must have been numb or i never would have gotten on the bike that day! heheh!

wingnutt, i hear ya! those cali winters are brutal! none the less, i may schedule a january vacation for a norcal geteaway and a little training in the sunshine. should i even bother to bring a longsleeve jersey and tights?!?!

I agree. TDF riders have a history of riding in wind, rain and hail. There is no real substitute for actually being on the road and riding on real roads up real hills.
The only time I skip winter rides is if there is snow or ice on the road. In such cases, I give it a rest for that day.

jahona said:
No wonder the knobby tire riders think roadies are soft. Geez guys, toughen up. Biking through the winter, through the cold and the wind isn't that bad, even in eastern Iowa. Just layer like crazy. It might be a little cold and some skin might be red when you get back, but its worth it when you in good form at the start of the season compared to all the guys who rode trainers all winter and don't have any on-road experience. Sure, I do ride a trainer in the winter, but if the on-bike wind chill factor is above 15, I'm out on the road. A 2 hour ride is as much as one can stand but its worth it.

jahona said:

That's pretty hardcore for a bike man. I used to run in shorts down to 15 but running is alot easier to deal with lower temps then biking. On a bike at 50-55 degrees with moderate wind, I have to dress as if it was 35 if I was running.

I'm hoping to go through my first winter biking....just waiting for some clothes to show up in the mail that I need. I just hope it doesn't snow alot.....nothing pisses me off more than snow/ice.

Yes well we're just coming up to summer in Sydney and as the humidity and temperatures rise I can't help thinking the best time for riding is winter. I guess we're spoiled being able to ride year round, but during the week in winter it's dark by the time I get home from work and I either go to the gym at lunch time or get on the trainer indoors in the evenings to get a couple of mid week interval sessions in then a road ride on the weekend.

The cold is not usually a problem though a while back I went inland for an organised ride up a mountain in the middle of winter and realised why people wear gloves riding in cold weather.

Might Wear Gloves!!! Man, come to New York in winter. Gloves are the least ot it... BTW for you cold weather riders go with "lobster" gloves with two layers.

fabiosav said:
Might Wear Gloves!!! Man, come to New York in winter. Gloves are the least ot it... BTW for you cold weather riders go with "lobster" gloves with two layers.

These guys seem to have some decent reviews on gear for the winter. I'm considering looking into some of the products for the cold:

www.icebike.org

Usually a few roller sessions a week, and as much xc skiing as possible just to get outside. I try not to obsess about how much time I spend on the bike over the winter because I see the off season as a good psychological break.

dang, the change back to standard time from daylight savings time sure puts a damper on weekday after work riding.

it's been unseasonably warm here with friday temperatures expected to top 70° f.

if ohio stayed like this thru the winter, i could retire here! sadly, i'm getting the 4-wheel drive cherokee ready for winter, putting the harleys back in their stalls and strapping a spare to the fixed-gear...knowing that it won't be long before i'm layered to the point the michelin man looks anorexic.

Are all you guys soft? In Scotland I train right through the winter at weekends, starting at 3 hours Sat & Sun, up to 5 hours by Jan. The only reason not to go out is if the road is so icy that you cannot stay upright. The secret is lots of layers. Assos do great lines. Thermal tops, gilets and rain wear- thats all you need. The temp here regularly over winter is -4 to 7 C ( sorry can't work farenheit)(or spell it!). Low gears. mudruards(fenders) plenty of food and fluids and you are set. The winter makes the following season don't forget!

Are all you guys soft? In Scotland I train right through the winter at weekends, starting at 3 hours Sat & Sun, up to 5 hours by Jan. The only reason not to go out is if the road is so icy that you cannot stay upright. The secret is lots of layers. Assos do great lines. Thermal tops, gilets and rain wear- thats all you need. The temp here regularly over winter is -4 to 7 C ( sorry can't work farenheit)(or spell it!). Low gears. mudruards(fenders) plenty of food and fluids and you are set. The winter makes the following season don't forget!

Hmmm.... that sounds great, but here in the States we've come up with a way to ride indoors while nice and cozy. We can even watch football during our rides! :D

Honestly, I can't imagine it takes any more discipline to ride a trainer for a couple hours than it does to get all dressed/layered up and go ride in freezing temperatures for a couple hours. I'd be willing to bet that I get more effective race training indoors than I could bundled up like the Michelin Man during an outdoor ride, so why bother fighting the weather?

Oh wait, I know the difference. Riding outside in winter builds character, right? ;)

frenchyge said:
Hmmm.... that sounds great, but here in the States we've come up with a way to ride indoors while nice and cozy. We can even watch football during our rides! :D

Honestly, I can't imagine it takes any more discipline to ride a trainer for a couple hours than it does to get all dressed/layered up and go ride in freezing temperatures for a couple hours. I'd be willing to bet that I get more effective race training indoors than I could bundled up like the Michelin Man during an outdoor ride, so why bother fighting the weather?

Oh wait, I know the difference. Riding outside in winter builds character, right? ;)
Not only character building but incredibly less boring!! Managed one 2 hour turbo session last winter and I don't think I have recovered yet. Also as I do 4 turbo sessions a week in the new year , 2 of which are intervals, I associate the turbo with pain and suffering. Also outdoors the scenery here takes your mind off the slog of getting fit again. The putting on the kit is all part of the ritual isn't it?

frenchyge said:
Or the X-files! ;)

Don't forget about the boneheads driving cars over ice and snow while a cyclist is out there gambling with their lives trying to share the same physical space. And trainer time is more productive than outdoor time due to the "no coasting" factor.

I'm damned proud to be a fair weather cyclist! :D No extra "character" needed. Got plenty.