winter training...what do you do?

Equus123 said:
what i love about my indoor trainer is that i just keep my bike on it, in my living room. instead of having conversations with my fiance on the couch or in the kitchen or at the computer, i sit on my bike and even if its just pedalling... i love having the ability to get on my bike whenever i want! :)
I suggested moving my trainer into the living room this weekend with the same thought in mind, but was totally shot down and sent back to the basement. Maybe that's the difference between a fiancee, and a wife of 12 years? :confused:

Why does it seem that cycling in very cold weather is harder? I was really hurting today and really breathing more through my mouth and my nose keeps running so much I need to keep stopping and blowing it.
I'm breathing ice air on some of the really cold, frosty days.
Is this common? Is cycling in cold temperatures more demanding energy wise and what gives with the running nose?

slimply block off one nostril with a finger. lean off to the side of the bike and blow the other nostril out onto the road. blow it over or under your arm and be sure to develop a really cool technique.

the new 'plush' back gloves have the perfect 'snot wiper' built right in!

i don't know what causes the nose to run, but i always blamed it on the sinus passages responding to the cold air.

Having being caught out by it, I've had to improvise with leaves. I'll stop the bike, find a leaf and blow my nose. Paper hand-towels are a must at this point in time.

CAMPYBOB said:
slimply block off one nostril with a finger. lean off to the side of the bike and blow the other nostril out onto the road. blow it over or under your arm and be sure to develop a really cool technique.

the new 'plush' back gloves have the perfect 'snot wiper' built right in!

i don't know what causes the nose to run, but i always blamed it on the sinus passages responding to the cold air.

My ENT brother-in-law has a name for it...runny nose during exercise in the cold...but it is basically a runny nose...a nuisance.
Sounds like camybob has had some experience in the cold and good advice, like blowing your nose

Balaclava w/windblock. Winter beanie or similar
large glasses (Ski goggles if you don't mind being called Fred)
Double glove (cold weather gloves w/lobster outershell)
Underarmour cold gear type baselayer a must (top and bottom)
Technical winter jacket. Anything less and you will be cold after you sweat
The challenge isn't dressing warm enough...it is dressing so the sweat will wick and evaporate, not leaving you chilled.
Winter weight tights
toe warmers w/ chemical toe warmers placed inside, with booties. After 45 minutes change to another set of chemical warmers as the air has a difficult time penetrating that much airblock.
This is OK to the low 20's. Below that, good luck