Winter Training

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Giant_Biker, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Giant_Biker

Giant_Biker New Member

Okay, so here's my problem. This summer I've gotten into great shape and I really don't want to sit inside a whole winter (I live in Canada and we get a ton of snow!!!) and have to start fresh in the spring. So do you guys have any ideas how I can advoid this? But please note, I HATE stationary bikes (I just find them so boring). If you can help me out that would be great!!! THANKS!;)

Tags:

2. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

You can get studded mountain bike tires. Just do your road rides with a mountain bike. Check www.performancebike.com for winter riding gear.
    Where in Canada are you? I live along the Canadian border in the pacific northwest. Fortunately we don't get much, if any snow around here.

3. Giant_Biker

Giant_Biker New Member

I live out east in Nova Sotia. Now, I agree with what you just said but some winters we get snow up to the waist, sometimes higher. (Athough this year it shouldn't be so bad as I think it is suppose to be warmer)

4. velomanct

velomanct New Member

do cross country skiing. it's probally the best winter exercise to keep you in shape for biking. snow is not a problem in your area, so pick up some skis. i might try it this year on some of the mtn bike trails, i live in connecticut.

5. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

I find that a trainer on a regular bike is much easier on the head than stationary bike...I don't know why. Depending on the sense of humour issued to your significant other, park it in front of the televison and ride during the news, CSI, West Wing, Murder She Wrote reruns and MidSomer Night Murders on BBC Canada. Don't watch reruns of the Tour...it's only discouraging watching those guys climb mountains I'd be afraid to drive my car over.

Swimming and aquacize seems to keep the worst of the heebie-jeebies away. Last year I threatened to go to the gym (I have one at work). I made it the grand total of 4 times. This year I hope to make it a full 6.

Other than that, I get my main exercise pressing my nose up against the window waiting for spring to come.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

I'd go for cross-country skiing and ice skating. Speed skating will really build the power in quads and glutes, and the skiing is good for overall aerobics.

7. heheheha

heheheha New Member

Ride in the winter. Don't use your extravagent road bike; use an old beater MTB. Single Speed is best, because otherwise you will deal with your derrailleur clogging (peeing on it helps - seriously. I used to do it when messenging before I converted to SS). Studded tires are for ICE only...they suck ass for anything else. If you are riding through the city I found that slicks with rain notches worked better than anyt type of tire. Sketchy sounding but you glide through the snow versus dragging through it. Take it slow and easy. spray WD40 in your cable housings, but don't expect them to last mor ethan an hour or so in cold weather. If you are doing short training rides you should have no problem (8 hour days on the other hand...). Also give your brakes the occasional squeeze (BEFORE you have to stop). If they are frozen, plow into the snow bank if you *must* stop.

Riding is very different, go nice and easy, you have to relearn how to handle the bike. Seated riding is best, too little weight in the rear you can spin out, too much on the front it could slip out. Run lower tire pressure.

Clothing wise, STAY DRY. If you stay dry you can be quite comfy...Thin wicking materials on your skin, insulators next, and then something water proof (if it's snowing or just has. If the streets are clear you should be good). I wore a touqe (sp?) under my helmet. Ski mask for the face on really windy/cold days. Make sure you layer your clothes so you don't overheat. If you are hot before you leave, you over done it.

This pretty much sums up what got me through 3 winter seasons messenging...