Winter Training

ewep

Jan 31, 2002
Winter is coming, I feel it in the mornings when I go out (at 4am ;D) to do my training. This will be my first winter as a cyclist and I really need some tips (or programmes ;)) for training during the winter. A lot of people have said to do weights, but WHAT ::)? Maybe spinning? I hope you guys can give me some tips!

Buy the right clothing! Especially neoprene overshoes, winter gloves (make sure they're beathable) and windproof long sleeve shirts.

In SA I didn't ride outdoors much in winter but since living in the UK I realised I was just soft in SA! Use the winter to keep the fat off and prepare a base for spring (long steady distance).

Failing that spinning works very well but is intensity work rather than base work. Gym works well - stick to light weight high reps.

We're going into spring! HOOOOYEAH - it's been a pretty freekin cold winter...

ewep,

Training at 4am you're brave! Eldron forgot to mention to you to get a coach. A good coach will allow you to maximise your training time and with some careful planning acheive some good performances in the summer.

If you are doing some base training now, I hope that you have started to periodize your training for the rest of the year. A coach will help you do that too!