Winter turbo training

GettingFaster

Apr 27, 2005
OK so the winter is almost here. Time to settle down and spend the evenings really getting to know Mr. Turbo. Some advice please!

I have an imagic turbo which enables me to simulate courses as I train (with the resistance changing according to the terrain/gradient.) I plan on spending 3 nights a week doing long steady training over the winter (90-120mins.) Would I benefit more from simulating a rolling course, where my effort level will inevitably fluctuate as I go up and down, or would I be better off not using the imagic software for these sessions and sitting on a constant power output all the way? Boredom isn't as issure at all, I'm just interested in which would actually be physiologically more beneficial at this stage. I won't be racing until May and will introduce much more interval training etc after xmas. But for Oct-Dec I'm undecided as to what's the best way of doing my long steady aerobic training - pan flat effort level or gentle rolling hills. Any thoughts?

Getting Faster said:
OK so the winter is almost here. Time to settle down and spend the evenings really getting to know Mr. Turbo. Some advice please!

I have an imagic turbo which enables me to simulate courses as I train (with the resistance changing according to the terrain/gradient.) I plan on spending 3 nights a week doing long steady training over the winter (90-120mins.) Would I benefit more from simulating a rolling course, where my effort level will inevitably fluctuate as I go up and down, or would I be better off not using the imagic software for these sessions and sitting on a constant power output all the way? Boredom isn't as issure at all, I'm just interested in which would actually be physiologically more beneficial at this stage. I won't be racing until May and will introduce much more interval training etc after xmas. But for Oct-Dec I'm undecided as to what's the best way of doing my long steady aerobic training - pan flat effort level or gentle rolling hills. Any thoughts?
I think if your going just hard enough to breath deeply (Zone3) on the trainer then its all going to help maintain or improve your condition. Undulating terrain could be more enjoyable then just bashing out a sustained Zone 3 effort for two hours. I would personally choose to do a mix of undulating, long LT based climbs & sustained flat efforts just to keep from going insane. I'm also about to start training inside & will do one of the Tacx VR terrains, DVDs etc every other day with 60-180minutes as the goal.