Winter walk photos

Paul Richardson

Guest
Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
around White Coppice.

see

http://community.webshots.com/user/doc_paul

albums "Scottish Winter 2004" and "Lancashire Lanscapes"

Paul Leigh LLancs

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.

Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
helps, of course :) Photos here: http://homepage.ntlworld.-
com/simon.caldwell/Glencoe/Tuesday/index.htm

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.

Canny pics there Paul ;-)

Those outflow pipes from the dam look surreal, almost
like Flash Gordon's Space Rockety thing mis-guaged its
landing! :)

Nice touch with the annotations to Rannoch Moor :)

Cheors

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
> early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
> Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
> Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
> around White Coppice.
>
> see
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/doc_paul
>
> albums "Scottish Winter 2004" and "Lancashire Lanscapes"

Just back from Beinn Mhanach, spent a bit of time looking
over at those two hills, for me they're still unclimbed. No
snow cover now, only patches.

KRO

> Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
> around White Coppice.

I'm biased to the WPM moors ones, very nice. The cricket
pitch and cottages may look nice but have you ever seen a
uneven pitch in your life :) Just how do they play
cricket on it !!

Dave

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:28:31 +0000, Simon Caldwell
>Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
>We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
>lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
>pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
>helps, of course :) Photos here: http://homepage.ntlworld-
>.com/simon.caldwell/Glencoe/Tuesday/index.htm

Brilliant pics of your day Simon - obviously it was even
clearer than ours! Magnificent views of The Ben, and of
Cruachan. I wish we had had time to do the ridge to
Achaladair, but having driven down from Tulloch, we started
a bit late, and had to drive home to Manchester that night,
so didn't want to be on the hill till evening. Added to that
the walk in through knee deep drifts was totally
knackeriing!

Paul Leigh Lancs

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:06:20 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:

>Those outflow pipes from the dam look surreal, almost
>like Flash Gordon's Space Rockety thing mis-guaged its
>landing! :)

Thanks Steve - some guys we met in the bunkhouse at Tulloch
said that people regularly kayak the Spean when the dam is
discharging - maybe not when all six are in full flow, but
surely up to four ..... scary!!!

Paul Leigh Lancs

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:31:34 -0000, "Dave H"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines
>> area around White Coppice.
>
>I'm biased to the WPM moors ones, very nice. The cricket
>pitch and cottages may look nice but have you ever seen a
>uneven pitch in your life :) Just how do they play
>cricket on it !!
>
>Dave

Very true Dave, it also slopes considerably away from the
Goit westwards. Nice chocolate box scene though!

Paul

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
>>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
>>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
>
>Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
>We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
>lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
>pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
>helps, of course :)

Chreachan is very fine, although I suffered horribly on it.
Just starting out on the Scottish hills and it hammered me.
Never been up anything so hard. Lucky to get off it.

Hill was fine, next day I was diagnosed with glandular
fever.

They are a good group, and the view of The Moor from
Achaladair's big cairn (not the summit) is a classic.

Then there is the magic that is Crannach.

BTW never saw all 6 bores going at Laggan, despite all those
stays at Nancy's. Usual route in to and out of Fersit when
hitching was over the dam.

Richard Webb

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
>>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
>>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
>
>Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
>We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
>lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
>pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
>helps, of course :)

Chreachan is very fine, although I suffered horribly on it.
Just starting out on the Scottish hills and it hammered me.
Never been up anything so hard. Lucky to get off it.

Hill was fine, next day I was diagnosed with glandular
fever.

They are a good group, and the view of The Moor from
Achaladair's big cairn (not the summit) is a classic.

Then there is the magic that is Crannach.

BTW never saw all 6 bores going at Laggan, despite all those
stays at Nancy's. Usual route in to and out of Fersit when
hitching was over the dam.

Richard Webb

>Added to that the walk in through knee deep drifts was
>totally knackeriing!

We were lucky, the conditions were perfect for walking. Even
so, it took us over 9 hours!