Winter walk photos

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Richardson, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
    Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
    around White Coppice.

    see

    http://community.webshots.com/user/doc_paul

    albums "Scottish Winter 2004" and "Lancashire Lanscapes"

    Paul Leigh LLancs

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    >early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    >Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.

    Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
    We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
    lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
    pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
    helps, of course :) Photos here: http://homepage.ntlworld.-
    com/simon.caldwell/Glencoe/Tuesday/index.htm

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    >early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    >Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.

    Canny pics there Paul ;-)

    Those outflow pipes from the dam look surreal, almost
    like Flash Gordon's Space Rockety thing mis-guaged its
    landing! :)

    Nice touch with the annotations to Rannoch Moor :)

    Cheors

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  4. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    > early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    > Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
    > Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
    > around White Coppice.
    >
    > see
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/user/doc_paul
    >
    > albums "Scottish Winter 2004" and "Lancashire Lanscapes"

    Just back from Beinn Mhanach, spent a bit of time looking
    over at those two hills, for me they're still unclimbed. No
    snow cover now, only patches.

    KRO

  5. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    > Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines area
    > around White Coppice.

    I'm biased to the WPM moors ones, very nice. The cricket
    pitch and cottages may look nice but have you ever seen a
    uneven pitch in your life :) Just how do they play
    cricket on it !!

    Dave

  6. On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:28:31 +0000, Simon Caldwell
    >Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
    >We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
    >lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
    >pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
    >helps, of course :) Photos here: http://homepage.ntlworld-
    >.com/simon.caldwell/Glencoe/Tuesday/index.htm

    Brilliant pics of your day Simon - obviously it was even
    clearer than ours! Magnificent views of The Ben, and of
    Cruachan. I wish we had had time to do the ridge to
    Achaladair, but having driven down from Tulloch, we started
    a bit late, and had to drive home to Manchester that night,
    so didn't want to be on the hill till evening. Added to that
    the walk in through knee deep drifts was totally
    knackeriing!

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  7. On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:06:20 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:

    >Those outflow pipes from the dam look surreal, almost
    >like Flash Gordon's Space Rockety thing mis-guaged its
    >landing! :)

    Thanks Steve - some guys we met in the bunkhouse at Tulloch
    said that people regularly kayak the Spean when the dam is
    discharging - maybe not when all six are in full flow, but
    surely up to four ..... scary!!!

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  8. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:31:34 -0000, "Dave H"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Also more locally, some new pics of the West Pennines
    >> area around White Coppice.
    >
    >I'm biased to the WPM moors ones, very nice. The cricket
    >pitch and cottages may look nice but have you ever seen a
    >uneven pitch in your life :) Just how do they play
    >cricket on it !!
    >
    >Dave

    Very true Dave, it also slopes considerably away from the
    Goit westwards. Nice chocolate box scene though!

    Paul

  9. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    >>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    >>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
    >
    >Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
    >We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
    >lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
    >pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
    >helps, of course :)

    Chreachan is very fine, although I suffered horribly on it.
    Just starting out on the Scottish hills and it hammered me.
    Never been up anything so hard. Lucky to get off it.

    Hill was fine, next day I was diagnosed with glandular
    fever.

    They are a good group, and the view of The Moor from
    Achaladair's big cairn (not the summit) is a classic.

    Then there is the magic that is Crannach.

    BTW never saw all 6 bores going at Laggan, despite all those
    stays at Nancy's. Usual route in to and out of Fersit when
    hitching was over the dam.

    Richard Webb

  10. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:01:10 +0000, Paul Richardson
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Managed to get round at last to posting some pix of my
    >>early Feb walk on Beinn a Chreachain (partner to
    >>Achalaldair) - a fantastic day with some stunning views.
    >
    >Excellent pics of what looks to have been an excellent day.
    >We did these hills at the end of last year, given the
    >lukewarm write up they get in some guidebooks I was
    >pleasantly surprised at how good they were. The weather
    >helps, of course :)

    Chreachan is very fine, although I suffered horribly on it.
    Just starting out on the Scottish hills and it hammered me.
    Never been up anything so hard. Lucky to get off it.

    Hill was fine, next day I was diagnosed with glandular
    fever.

    They are a good group, and the view of The Moor from
    Achaladair's big cairn (not the summit) is a classic.

    Then there is the magic that is Crannach.

    BTW never saw all 6 bores going at Laggan, despite all those
    stays at Nancy's. Usual route in to and out of Fersit when
    hitching was over the dam.

    Richard Webb

  11. >Added to that the walk in through knee deep drifts was
    >totally knackeriing!

    We were lucky, the conditions were perfect for walking. Even
    so, it took us over 9 hours!