Winter

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Pace, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Ok so as most of us move indoors for the winter I would Like to know what VR video do you use for the trainer if you do use any video. If you dont but do know what others use please say so. I am asking as I have been indoors but I have found watching the VR videos help me out. Thanks ahead of time all.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Don't keep yourself confined to indoor riding all winter. I quite like starting a ride on a brisk morning. It's better than caffeine and is refreshing, too.

3. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Well. This is going to be the first winter I brave trying to ride. I have a Surly Pugsly waiting for pickup at my favorite mom and pop bike shop. If I don't kill myself on black ice it should be fun. If not, I can fall back on snowshoeing and backcountry skiing. I bought a trainer, too, with the idea of using my 1991 Cannondale with it. Michigan winters can be long and dull, God knows I need to find some way to stay active.

4. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

Snow bikes like the pugsly are breeding like rabbits around here. When i hit the trails these days its all i see. Surly happens to be based here in the twin cities. I've been cruising on my cross bike myself, but maybe I need another bike.

5. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cyclingforums.com/content/type/61/id/276876/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

qdc15 likes this.
  6. alienator

That's sad.

7. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Try riding thru 8" of fresh, white "brisk".

I've only seen those weird Surly things at he local shops. I'll X-C ski, hike, climb, hunt and if I get really bore I'll ride the rollers with a stereo cranked.

8. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

I don't know what "brisk" is but I road through 4-6" of fresh heavy 30F snow today for 3 hours. I wish I had a lower gear than 38x27 on the cross bike.

9. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Fun!

Skis are fun too.

10. alienator

By a dictionary, brisk is "cold but fresh and enlivening." To me brisk is cold, "crisp", or cold with an edge to it. An example of brisk would be a morning with a crystal blue sky, no wind, and a temp around 20°F. There are loads of days to ride when snow isn't on the ground or the roads are clear.

11. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Yea but all I am looking for is the DVD and or VR's for the trainer. While I will go out and ride some I would like to know what VR's or DVD can be recommended.

12. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

But he was using it as a n
    But he was using it as a noun to describe a type of snow. If he means cold weather snow, I'll take that over warm weather snow for riding or anything else save snow ball fights and snowmen.

13. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

The only thing I have used is the original Star Trek series on Netflix.

14. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Sorry pal, that's the subject of another thread. This thread is about tearing up a half foot of untracked brisk. Off topic; what's a VR?

15. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Have you tried riding sastrugi?

16. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

On a moped many years ago, yes. Back in the 1970's and 1980's we had snow in Minnesota, but I have not seen anything like sastrugi here in years. Then again I live I'm the city now, so maybe missed out. I grew up in farm country and there was enough wind to create the most beautiful seas of wind hardened snow.

qdc15 likes this.
  17. alienator

Virtual reality: DVD's that are shot from the rider's perspective. It could also be computer generated rides from the rider's perspective. This is the domain of things like Computrainer and other more expensive computer integrated training systems. Some systems will vary resistance with the apparent grade on the screen.

18. alienator

Well, if it's anything like skiiing (randonee), it can be a giant pain in the ass, depending on the conditions in question. I've cussed for long periods hauling a sled behind skis through sastrugi.

qdc15 likes this.
  19. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

It's answered in the 1 post on this topic.

20. qdc15

qdc15 Member

The only post on topic is the first one.