Winther frustration

Torben Scheel

Guest
Yesterday I coudn't take the look of my precious aluminium getting eaten by the salt anymore, so I
tore the bike apart, and started to brace the rear fork to the frame (it was made for rear
suspension, but the pivot wasn't stong enough, so I never used it (or missed it, for that matter)).
Now the frame is naked, braced together and has a couple of new cable stops for the gear cable. No
more zip-ties for me.

What remains to be done - brace 2 more double cable stops, 2 cable guides, threaded mounts for the
rear rack, make the front chainguide mount stronger, paint the frame and fork, clean and grease all
parts, wait until paint has hardened, wait some more, assemble the bike and then, ride the bike.

I just hope this will be enough for a month or so until the salt is gone..

Anyone else with this kind of cabin fever?

Torben

> I just hope this will be enough for a month or so until the salt is gone..
>
> Anyone else with this kind of cabin fever?

Ah was wondering what Winther had done to you for a bit there. ;) http://www.winther-cykler.dk/

I rode 50 km wednesday and cept for the stupid bike blowing over and cracking the gelcoate some more
when I was inside eating a kebab it was a nice trip. Going out today too. Might even get the wheels
for the Velokraft bike today. *knock on wood*

Mikael

> > I just hope this will be enough for a month or so until the salt is
gone..

> > Anyone else with this kind of cabin fever?
>
> Ah was wondering what Winther had done to you for a bit there. ;) http://www.winther-cykler.dk/

:)
My 3yo daughter has a winther "trike", a winther 2-wheeler (with parental control stick ;-) and my
6yo daughter's recumbent is made from a winther bike. We have a winther kids trailer to complete the
collection. (No, I haven't got stocks in the company, but now I think I should have bought some back
in the nineties..)

So - it could easily have been winther BIKE frustration..

> I rode 50 km wednesday and cept for the stupid bike blowing over and cracking the gelcoate some
> more when I was inside eating a kebab it was a nice trip. Going out today too. Might even get the
> wheels for the Velokraft bike today. *knock on wood*

Or * tap on carbon * but not * fall on gelcoat(e?) *

> Mikael

I have glued some velcro pieces to the open cell foam with success, BTW. I guess the nice inviting
comfy look combined with my "salt fear" triggered me to go beserk on the bike.

Torben

"Torben Scheel" skrev...

> I have glued some velcro pieces to the open cell foam with success, BTW. I guess the nice inviting
> comfy look combined with my "salt fear" triggered me to go beserk on the bike.

Aha. What glue did you use?

M.

One component "kontaktlim" in a can. I think it's Bostik. It dryes to a rubberlike compound - only
caveat is that the glue runs through the open cells and then the foam stays compressed after use, if
you aren't careful. I applied the glue to the foam holding the foam vertical, and turned it upside
down every 5 minuts (still vertical) during the drying period, before I massaged the velcro in
place. After that I left the foam with the velcro facing down, allowing any moving glue to set om
the velcro. It takes a lot of glue to get a good bind. I trimmed the edges of the foam with a (long
sharp, dangerous) kitchen knife, with the foam lying on the kitchen table - cutting along the edge
of the table.

The velcro for the seat was mounted with carpet tape.

Torben

> "Torben Scheel" skrev...
>
> > I have glued some velcro pieces to the open cell foam with success, BTW.
> > guess the nice inviting comfy look combined with my "salt fear"
triggered me
> > to go beserk on the bike.
>
> Aha. What glue did you use?
>
> M.

I have detail pic's of that from a recumbent exhibition, w. an wo. paint if anyone's interested.