Wipe Out Today

Michael

Guest
It wasn't too bad, but it surprised me. I was riding on a really fun but wet single track with big
rocks, close trees, and lots of ups and downs. Some guy passed me pretty handily, and as I was
watching him expertly take a sharp turn in front of me, my chainring grabbed a 3 inch sapling stump
hidden in some grass just off the dirt trail. I went down hard and fast.

I had to pick some gravel out of my knee, and my pride was hurt (first time I ever wiped out on a
mountain bike), but otherwise was fine. Apparently, I wasn't the only one: the sapling stump was
pretty chewed up by others.

Later, I got some chainsuck, again first time, going up a tough hill. It was partly due to the mud
in the drive train, and I don't know if it was related to the wipe out. I checked the chainring with
the chain off. It spun true and didn't have any teeth bent that I would see. I haven't put it on the
rack to check again.

It's on my mind; I'm sitting in front of my computer; and I had to tell someone.

M.

Don't feel bad... at least you were actually out on the bike riding... i fell off mine while trying
to dismount. (foot caught on something)...

take care Liz wear your road rash proudly!

Michael wrote:

> It wasn't too bad, but it surprised me. I was riding on a really fun but wet single track with big
> rocks, close trees, and lots of ups and downs. Some guy passed me pretty handily, and as I was
> watching him expertly take a sharp turn in front of me, my chainring grabbed a 3 inch sapling
> stump hidden in some grass just off the dirt trail. I went down hard and fast.
>
> I had to pick some gravel out of my knee, and my pride was hurt (first time I ever wiped out on a
> mountain bike), but otherwise was fine. Apparently, I wasn't the only one: the sapling stump was
> pretty chewed up by others.
>
> Later, I got some chainsuck, again first time, going up a tough hill. It was partly due to the mud
> in the drive train, and I don't know if it was related to the wipe out. I checked the chainring
> with the chain off. It spun true and didn't have any teeth bent that I would see. I haven't put it
> on the rack to check again.
>
> It's on my mind; I'm sitting in front of my computer; and I had to tell someone.

M*k* V*nd*m*n says it serves you right. ;)

You're supposed to wipe out when riding a MTB off-road - you are not trying hard enough unless you
end up bleeding in at least one place. ;)

It is my experience that it does not take much of a deformation of the front chainrings to cause
"chain suck".

Felt twice in the past weeks. Once on a big climb. Not much harm, just felt on the side and my right
leg was bleeding a little after scraping on a rock. The second time tough, it was a nice dive over
my handle bars. It was a difficult trail and it's been raining for one week, including that morning.
I was going down a steep, rocky hill. My front wheel hit a rock and at the same time, I applied too
much front brakes... Just had time to think "oh...oh" and I flew over my handle bars and landed on
some rock couple of feet below. Result, bleeding from elbow, left leg and right ankle. And my left
tight is still yellow/blue almost 2 weeks later. Now, that was fun.

"Paul Bielec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Felt twice in the past weeks.

Stop bragging! I haven't been felt in...well, longer than I care to say :)

> Once on a big climb. Not much harm, just felt on the side and my right leg was bleeding a little
> after scraping on a rock. The second time tough, it was a nice dive over my handle bars. It was a
> difficult trail and it's been raining for one week, including
that
> morning. I was going down a steep, rocky hill. My front wheel hit a rock and at the same time, I
> applied too much front brakes... Just had time to think "oh...oh" and I flew over my handle bars
> and landed on some rock couple of feet below. Result, bleeding from elbow, left leg and right
> ankle. And my left tight
is
> still yellow/blue almost 2 weeks later. Now, that was fun.

Flew over the bars just yesterday. Tricky technical spot on local loop; cleared toughest part --
bottoming out front shock -- rolled a few more feet and hit an immovable rock (going WAY too fast,
too) -- went *HIGH* up in air before crumbling down in heap. Nice "crash gash" on inside left knee;
otherwise just the usual "post-car-wreck" kind of aches & pains.

Bill "could have gone on a nice breezy road ride on the coast, but NOOOOooooo" S.