Wipe Out Today

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    It wasn't too bad, but it surprised me. I was riding on a really fun but wet single track with big
    rocks, close trees, and lots of ups and downs. Some guy passed me pretty handily, and as I was
    watching him expertly take a sharp turn in front of me, my chainring grabbed a 3 inch sapling stump
    hidden in some grass just off the dirt trail. I went down hard and fast.

    I had to pick some gravel out of my knee, and my pride was hurt (first time I ever wiped out on a
    mountain bike), but otherwise was fine. Apparently, I wasn't the only one: the sapling stump was
    pretty chewed up by others.

    Later, I got some chainsuck, again first time, going up a tough hill. It was partly due to the mud
    in the drive train, and I don't know if it was related to the wipe out. I checked the chainring with
    the chain off. It spun true and didn't have any teeth bent that I would see. I haven't put it on the
    rack to check again.

    It's on my mind; I'm sitting in front of my computer; and I had to tell someone.

    M.

    Tags:

  2. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Don't feel bad... at least you were actually out on the bike riding... i fell off mine while trying
    to dismount. (foot caught on something)...

    take care Liz wear your road rash proudly!

    Hey! Look what "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote :

    >I had to pick some gravel out of my knee, and my pride was hurt (first time I ever wiped out on a
    >mountain bike), but otherwise was fine. Apparently, I wasn't the only one: the sapling stump was
    >pretty chewed up by others.

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > It wasn't too bad, but it surprised me. I was riding on a really fun but wet single track with big
    > rocks, close trees, and lots of ups and downs. Some guy passed me pretty handily, and as I was
    > watching him expertly take a sharp turn in front of me, my chainring grabbed a 3 inch sapling
    > stump hidden in some grass just off the dirt trail. I went down hard and fast.
    >
    > I had to pick some gravel out of my knee, and my pride was hurt (first time I ever wiped out on a
    > mountain bike), but otherwise was fine. Apparently, I wasn't the only one: the sapling stump was
    > pretty chewed up by others.
    >
    > Later, I got some chainsuck, again first time, going up a tough hill. It was partly due to the mud
    > in the drive train, and I don't know if it was related to the wipe out. I checked the chainring
    > with the chain off. It spun true and didn't have any teeth bent that I would see. I haven't put it
    > on the rack to check again.
    >
    > It's on my mind; I'm sitting in front of my computer; and I had to tell someone.

    M*k* V*nd*m*n says it serves you right. ;)

    You're supposed to wipe out when riding a MTB off-road - you are not trying hard enough unless you
    end up bleeding in at least one place. ;)

    It is my experience that it does not take much of a deformation of the front chainrings to cause
    "chain suck".

  4. Paul Bielec

    Paul Bielec Guest

    Felt twice in the past weeks. Once on a big climb. Not much harm, just felt on the side and my right
    leg was bleeding a little after scraping on a rock. The second time tough, it was a nice dive over
    my handle bars. It was a difficult trail and it's been raining for one week, including that morning.
    I was going down a steep, rocky hill. My front wheel hit a rock and at the same time, I applied too
    much front brakes... Just had time to think "oh...oh" and I flew over my handle bars and landed on
    some rock couple of feet below. Result, bleeding from elbow, left leg and right ankle. And my left
    tight is still yellow/blue almost 2 weeks later. Now, that was fun.

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Paul Bielec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Felt twice in the past weeks.

    Stop bragging! I haven't been felt in...well, longer than I care to say :)

    > Once on a big climb. Not much harm, just felt on the side and my right leg was bleeding a little
    > after scraping on a rock. The second time tough, it was a nice dive over my handle bars. It was a
    > difficult trail and it's been raining for one week, including
    that
    > morning. I was going down a steep, rocky hill. My front wheel hit a rock and at the same time, I
    > applied too much front brakes... Just had time to think "oh...oh" and I flew over my handle bars
    > and landed on some rock couple of feet below. Result, bleeding from elbow, left leg and right
    > ankle. And my left tight
    is
    > still yellow/blue almost 2 weeks later. Now, that was fun.

    Flew over the bars just yesterday. Tricky technical spot on local loop; cleared toughest part --
    bottoming out front shock -- rolled a few more feet and hit an immovable rock (going WAY too fast,
    too) -- went *HIGH* up in air before crumbling down in heap. Nice "crash gash" on inside left knee;
    otherwise just the usual "post-car-wreck" kind of aches & pains.

    Bill "could have gone on a nice breezy road ride on the coast, but NOOOOooooo" S.