Wipperman chain and smallest cog problems

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Revived my commuter's runnig gear with new:
chainring (downhillers 44T without shifting ramps as i only run one ring)
New 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette
New Wipperman cassette with a link in it

The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

suspected perhaps the RD'er may have been too close to cassete so adjusted lil' screw that changes angle/position of RD'er, alas to no avail

any ideas? Done 2-3 weeks on this now and it's sh1tting me

flyingdutch wrote:
> Revived my commuter's runnig gear with new:
> chainring (downhillers 44T without shifting ramps as i only run one
> ring)
> New 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette
> New Wipperman cassette with a link in it
>
> The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely
> happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.
>
> suspected perhaps the RD'er may have been too close to cassete so
> adjusted lil' screw that changes angle/position of RD'er, alas to no
> avail

That's a "limit screw", and would be the first thing I'd suspect. Or,
it could be cable tension - back the cable off a touch and see if it
sits better. Third option, gummy cable, you can clean it, or just
replace it and its sheath. Fourth option, bent hanger or RD, crashed
it recently? Is this a new problem?

Or, maybe the joining link is too wide, and perhaps is hitting your
dropout and getting bumped up? I don't know that chain at all.

flyingdutch said:
Revived my commuter's runnig gear with new:
chainring (downhillers 44T without shifting ramps as i only run one ring)
New 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette
New Wipperman cassette with a link in it

The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

suspected perhaps the RD'er may have been too close to cassete so adjusted lil' screw that changes angle/position of RD'er, alas to no avail

any ideas? Done 2-3 weeks on this now and it's sh1tting me

Little screw, I assume that you got the H&L limit screws correc, then used the tension to get the 2 to 3 shift working perfectly.

Then may also want to adjust the tension using the screw on the back of the dropout.

flyingdutch wrote:

> any ideas? Done 2-3 weeks on this now and it's sh1tting me

Is the link in the right way around? Unlike SRAM links the Wipperman
links are directional

Parbs

flyingdutch said:
Revived my commuter's runnig gear with new:
chainring (downhillers 44T without shifting ramps as i only run one ring)
New 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette
New Wipperman cassette with a link in it

The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

suspected perhaps the RD'er may have been too close to cassete so adjusted lil' screw that changes angle/position of RD'er, alas to no avail

any ideas? Done 2-3 weeks on this now and it's sh1tting me
Is it a nine speed chain? Maybe the nine speed link doesn't like the 8spd cassette?

I've used SRAM 9spd powerlinks on 8spd drivetrains before though. Hmm. It just seems strange that it only skips at the detachable link.

it's not one of the limit screws (which are on the body of the RD)
It's the one right next to where the RD is attached/pivots on the hangar, if that makes sense

hmmm. directional. i assume there ar esome arrows to say which way?

oh, it's actually a Connex chain, hehe, he, err :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
oh, it's actually a Connex chain, hehe, he, err :rolleyes:

if its connex then there are bound to be delays and cancellations
:D

sigh.. its getting late..

flyingdutch wrote:
> it's not one of the limit screws (which are on the body of the RD)
> It's the one right next to where the RD is attached/pivots on the
> hangar, if that makes sense

Yep, sorry, my misunderstanding. Have you gone from a 12 tooth to an
11? If that's the case it may need some further adjustment, but I
thought that was to keep sufficient chain tension. If it's not fouling
on anything, it's probably ok.

> hmmm. directional. i assume there ar esome arrows to say which way?

It would normally say on the packaging, I'd expect.

> oh, it's actually a Connex chain, hehe, he, err :rolleyes:

Cunnox! Don't they own all our trains or something? :)

If it's skipping at the extremities of the casette, it's usually either
cable tension or limit screws, which may be exacerbated by a funky
masterlink. I don't know for sure though, I haven't worked on one
(yet!)

flyingdutch said:
hmmm. directional. i assume there ar esome arrows to say which way?
No arrows, RTFM! There is a pic.

One type of chain connector is once only, some are reusable.

flyingdutch said:
hmmm. directional. i assume there ar esome arrows to say which way?

oh, it's actually a Connex chain, hehe, he, err :rolleyes:

Parbs wins...

Connex = Wipperman... 8 and 9spd chains are the best.. I had a nightmare run with the 10..

"flyingdutch" wrote:

> New Wipperman cassette with a link in it
>
> The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely
> happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

Sounds just like you've got the Wipperman joining link upside down. Check
the joiner - on the upper run of the chain the slot in the side of it should
be like a 'U' shape.

Cheers
Peter

gplama wrote:

> Parbs wins...

Cool! What'd I win?

Parbs - who doesn't have a problem with his Wipperman & changing gears
or skipping

I encountered ths a couple of weeks ago on a repair that had been attacked
by a couple of other mechs..
The connex link is actually marginally larger in plate size than the
standard links.
Consequently it is hitting the cassette lock ring as it passes around the
smallest cog.

Simple fix.

Just get a smaller lock ring.
Check the link now as I think you will find one of the corners that contacts
the lock ring is bent.

Kerry.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Revived my commuter's runnig gear with new:
> chainring (downhillers 44T without shifting ramps as i only run one
> ring)
> New 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette
> New Wipperman cassette with a link in it
>
> The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely
> happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.
>
> suspected perhaps the RD'er may have been too close to cassete so
> adjusted lil' screw that changes angle/position of RD'er, alas to no
> avail
>
> any ideas? Done 2-3 weeks on this now and it's sh1tting me
>

> --
> flyingdutch

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "flyingdutch" wrote:
>
>> New Wipperman cassette with a link in it
>>
>> The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely
>> happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

> Sounds just like you've got the Wipperman joining link upside down. Check
> the joiner - on the upper run of the chain the slot in the side of it
> should be like a 'U' shape.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

That's it for sure. The concave side goes towards the cassette (inside), the
convex side to the outside.

Adam

"Peter Signorini" wrote:

> "flyingdutch" wrote:
>
>> New Wipperman cassette with a link in it
>>
>> The chain is consistently slipping on the 11t, and it's definetely
>> happening when the link passes over the cog/teeth.

> Sounds just like you've got the Wipperman joining link upside down. Check
> the joiner - on the upper run of the chain the slot in the side of it
> should be like a 'U' shape.

To clarify that, you will need to turn the link end for end to have this
effect. Then the 'V' slot, on the lower run of the chain, becomes a '/\'
slot. Just rolling it over will not change the connection arrangement. If in
doubt read th little instruction sheet that comes with the Connex chains.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini said:
To clarify that, you will need to turn the link end for end to have this
effect. Then the 'V' slot, on the lower run of the chain, becomes a '/\'
slot. Just rolling it over will not change the connection arrangement. If in
doubt read th little instruction sheet that comes with the Connex chains.

Cheers
Peter

that sounds like it! is currently the wrong way round.
FINALLY all my time on this forum pays off!!! :D

I'll try the smaller lockring as a second option too if the problem continues.

Thanks lads

cheers
FD

Peter Signorini said:
Sounds just like you've got the Wipperman joining link upside down. Check
the joiner - on the upper run of the chain the slot in the side of it should
be like a 'U' shape.

Cheers
Peter

Bingo!

Thanks Peter. Worked a charm. Also forced me to (whilst chain was off. so much easier with link) to clean chain more rigorously).
I doffs me lid to yar :D

Flying"11t"Dutch

"flyingdutch" wrote:

> Bingo!
>
> Thanks Peter. Worked a charm.

Any time. Service with a smile :))

> Also forced me to (whilst chain was off.
> so much easier with link) to clean chain more rigorously).

Always a good thing. I need to do that also, I reckon after two chain
cleaner washes it's time for the 'big clean'

> I doffs me lid to yar :D
>
> Flying"11t"Dutch

Cheers
Peter

Isn't it amazing how the instructions that come with bike equipment actually work???:D

Sorry I didnt see this earlier or else could have told you straight away.

Paulie-AU said:

Isn't it amazing how the instructions that come with bike equipment actually work???:D

Sorry I didnt see this earlier or else could have told you straight away.

take the fun out it, why dont you!?!?!?

Flying"without a manual"Dutch