Wipperman ConneX Connector

Gig Miller

Guest
I'm looking for a chain disconnect for my Shimano 10-speed chain. Is
the Wipperman ConneX Link compatible with Shimano?

Thanks,
Greg

Wippermann makes a "Shimano" chain, so if you can get the ConneX link
from that...?

On May 25, 7:33 pm, Gig Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a chain disconnect for my Shimano 10-speed chain. Is
> the Wipperman ConneX Link compatible with Shimano?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

yes, in fact, the only connector they offer, since all 10s chains are
now 5.9mm in width.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
On May 25, 7:33 pm, Gig Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a chain disconnect for my Shimano 10-speed chain. Is
> the Wipperman ConneX Link compatible with Shimano?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

yes, in fact, the only connector they offer, since all 10s chains are
now 5.9mm in width.
----------------------

Peter, would you comment on the following, copied from a posting by Dave in
the Serotta forums:
Thanks, Bill
http://www.serotta.com/forum/printthread.php?t=36982

The short answer is you need the shimano version of the connex link, marked
10S1, to fit the new Campy UN chain. A SRAM 10 link or Forster 5.9mm will
also fit.

I just posted some chain info on RBR this morning. I think I've covered most
of the major brands and mentioned chains no longer in production. The
connecting link situation is a bit complicated, because chains may have the
same outer width, but different width across the inner sideplates. It's the
inner width that is critical, to insure a side clearance in the .004-.007
inch range, like all other links in the chain.

The KMC DX10SC chain is a near clone of a Shimano 10 chain. The shape of the
outer side plates is slightly different, being a bit thinner in the middle.
The width across the inner sideplates in .252 inch, the same as a Shimano 10
chain, so the KMC reusable connector link would be a perfect fit for a
Shimano 10 chain. The orginal Campy 10 chain and Wipperman "Campy 10
compatible" chains (both no longer made) have this same inner sideplate
width.

The other popular 10 speed chains with a narrower (approximately.245 inch)
inner plate width are the Wipperman 10 speed, (formerly "Shimano
compatible", now "compatible with all 10 speed systems"), the Campy UN chain
and the SRAM 10 speed chain. These three chains should be able to
interchange connector links.

All of these chains have an outer width of approximately 5.9mm.

On May 26, 10:48 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
> On May 25, 7:33 pm, Gig Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a chain disconnect for my Shimano 10-speed chain. Is
> > the Wipperman ConneX Link compatible with Shimano?

> > Thanks,
> > Greg

> yes, in fact, the only connector they offer, since all 10s chains are
> now 5.9mm in width.
> ----------------------
>
> Peter, would you comment on the following, copied from a posting by Dave in
> the Serotta forums:
> Thanks, Billhttp://www.serotta.com/forum/printthread.php?t=36982
>
> The short answer is you need the shimano version of the connex link, marked
> 10S1, to fit the new Campy UN chain. A SRAM 10 link or Forster 5.9mm will
> also fit.

We get all our Wipperman links from Quality Bike parts, and they offer
only one 10s connector because as I mentioned, all 10s
chains(including the Campagnolo one for about 2 years) are 5.9mm in
width

On Sun, 25 May 2008 18:33:32 -0700 (PDT), Gig Miller
<[email protected]> may have said:

>I'm looking for a chain disconnect for my Shimano 10-speed chain. Is
>the Wipperman ConneX Link compatible with Shimano?

Officially, no. Unofficially, I'd say that up to half the ConneX 10s
links sold are used with Shimano chains, and no one I've encountered
has had any problems with them. They seem to fit just fine, and they
work without trouble in the experience of a great many riders.

Shimano will, of course, *never* admit that someone else's product is
compatible with theirs, and Wippermann doubtless has decided that the
potential added sales for an inexpensive link do not justify having to
go through the process of testing the product in every conceivable
application to prove that it works.