Wipperman link to connect Campy 5.9mm chain

Jim Higson

Guest
I know this has been talked about a lot, and the usual advice is to use the
Wipperman links on a campy C10 chain.

On wiggle there are two links - a 6.1mm Shimano one and a 6.2mm Campagnolo
one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360012648
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360018376

Since newer Campagnolo 10 speed chains are 5.9mm, would the narrower Shimano
one be a better fit, and in any case, is a 6.1mm link too wide to join a
5.9mm chain?

Oh, and these links are expensive - £6.99 for one link! SRAM ones are only a
couple of quid.

--
Jim

Jim Higson wrote:
> I know this has been talked about a lot, and the usual advice is to
> use the Wipperman links on a campy C10 chain.
>
> On wiggle there are two links - a 6.1mm Shimano one and a 6.2mm
> Campagnolo one:
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360012648
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360018376
>
> Since newer Campagnolo 10 speed chains are 5.9mm, would the narrower
> Shimano one be a better fit, and in any case, is a 6.1mm link too
> wide to join a 5.9mm chain?

The Shimano one is closer in size and works well. It's what mechanic Peter
Chisolm on rec.bicycles.tech recommends too.

> Oh, and these links are expensive - £6.99 for one link! SRAM ones are
> only a couple of quid.

I'm gonna have a go at re-using mine when I replace the chain - even though
the link should really be replaced too because its pins wear just like all
the others in the chain.

There are cheaper links (KMC?) - but, better the devil you know and all
that.

~PB