Wippermann vs. Campy 10-speed chains: Which is recommended?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff S., Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    Campy got rid of the Perma-Link and now have a new chain called the Record C10 HD-L; how does this
    new chain compare to the Wippermann ConneX (10x1 or
    1008)?

    Any special tools for either brand?

    Thanks for your input.

    Jeff S.

    Tags:

  2. Leo Jensen

    Leo Jensen Guest

    "Jeff S." <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > Campy got rid of the Perma-Link and now have a new chain called the Record C10 HD-L; how does this
    > new chain compare to the Wippermann ConneX (10x1
    or
    > 1008)?
    >
    > Any special tools for either brand?

    Wippermann Connex 1008 uses a link rather similar to the SRAM Powerlink: You split the chain without
    tools. The new Record-chain is good news. I have been told that I can use a 9-speed SRAM-link for
    the normal Campagnolo 10-speed chain, but haven't tried yet. Any comments ?

    Leo

  3. Jeff->Campy got rid of the Perma-Link and now have a new chain called the Record
    >C10 HD-L; how does this new chain compare to the Wippermann ConneX (10x1 or
    >1008)?

    Now use a shimano-esque push in pin. Best(IMO) is Campagnolo with the IRD snap link or the IRD 10s
    chain. Wipperman is nice but pricey.

    >Any special tools for either brand?

    Campagnolo has a special tool but you can use a normal chain tool if you are careful-no tools for
    the Wipperman or IRD snap link

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I have been told that I can use a 9-speed SRAM-link for the normal Campagnolo 10-speed chain, but
    > haven't tried yet. Any comments ?

    Works ok and usually cheaper than a 10s link. I've used the SRAM 9 speed PowerLink on Campy 10s
    chains for over a year now without problems.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > FWIW, I've been on the IRD 10s chain and snap-link for a couple months and love it. Shifts
    > > smooth, runs quite, easy to take off and clean, and best of all, It's a lot freakin' cheaper
    > > than Campy or Wipp! Less chain $$ = more beer $$. --Jim
    >
    > So does anyone know where I can buy this IRD 10s chain online?
    >
    > Kenny Lee

    Got mine from Vecchio's ;-)

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    No, its a bit wider as is the Campy 9.

    On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:07:54 +0100, "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just curious, will SRAM 9 speed chain also work?
    >
    >"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> It works fine. You can also substitute a Shimano 9sp chain.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:02:23 +0100, "Leo Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have been told that I can use a 9-speed SRAM-link for the normal Campagnolo 10-speed chain,
    >> >but haven't tried yet. Any comments ?

  7. Leo->I have been told that I can use a 9-speed SRAM-link for the normal
    >Campagnolo 10-speed chain, but haven't tried yet. Any comments ?

    You can but Wipperman(Conex) and IRD make 10s snap links.

  8. John Black

    John Black Guest

    > I know that some pure campy folks may not like this thread. But, consider purchasing a Sram PC89R
    > chain. I have 5 campy geared 10spd road cycles of different varieties. All of them run on PC89Rs.
    > They work flawlessly with Campy 10spd gruppos. They are more common than all the chains listed
    > above. I believe they're way cheaper as well. PC89Rs install quite easily with the powerlink
    > design. There's no need for any special tool to install. Just degrease the chain (prior to
    > installation; I like Simple Green), cut the chain to size, and install the link. You're ready to
    > go. Give it a try.
    >
    > Marvin

    I know that the Sram PC89R chain is a popular alternative to the Campy 10 chain. But my experience
    with it was not so good. Its extra width caused noticeable wear on the outer face of the cog one
    step up from the cog where the chain rides. Nothing catastrophic, but wear nonetheless that
    shouldn't be there.

    Another less than acceptable alternative is Super Link III with the Campy 10 chain. That link's
    extra width causes a noticeable sensation when pedalling -- as though it is hitting the cage of the
    derailleur wheels, or the like. Its quality and precision do not match that of the chain.

    I don't know yet which alternative I'll try next, which is why I am reading here. The original Campy
    rejoin that chain with no special link; just used care and a Park tool, and it worked fine. Whether
    I was courting disaster is something I don't want to find out!

    John Black